Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whips

Default Whips

is it better to use a pole float on a whip , or a canal float ,if a canal float do you fix it top and bottom or bottom only

Blog Entries

Default Re: Whips

It depends on whether you can cast easily with your pole float without any tangles or whether you are fishing with a shorter whip closer in, or fishing a longer whip and could have some surface drift.

I myself prefer a small waggler fixed bottom only with most of my shot up under the float, but I prefer to use my longest whips of 6 or 7mtrs and cast at full distance and if there’s any wind causing surface drift problems I can easily sink my line out of the way, especially if I’m having to wait for bites.

So it depends on how you want to be fishing. There’s absolutely no right or wrong way.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 23-07-2019 at 12:44.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

3. Default Re: Whips

I fish short whips under 5m and exclusively use pole floats attached top and bottom. I love the sensitivity and direct contact it gives me, super fast way of fishing for small stuff and really nice when situations make it right for Crucian.

Though I would not purposely hunt big stuff with this style I have had fish in over 3lb possibly up to 4lb. I wouldn't fancy an angry 6lb+ Carp though.

Blog Entries

Depends what you're after on the whip, but as a match fishing method I was recommended the following by one of our local top match lads.

Fix a small crystal waggler to the line with enough shot to set it on either side or if it's a loaded waggler use silicone floats stops. No weights down the line unless you want to cut through some nuisance top feeders, then a 6 or 8 shot only 4-6 inches from hook. I've used this a lot for some quality roach and dace from the river.

On the other hand, I have some small pole float rigs set up for shallow water fishing and have had carp to 2½lbs on a 5 metre Sensas whip. I sometimes set the hook off the bottom to avoid very small skimmers.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Blog Entries

It appears we all use our whips differently. Floats are wagglers then the variation sets in.
    I never go over 4mtr; small fish only, I don't use locking shot for my wagglers just float stops, one at mid depth one at the length of the rig, only use loaded wagglers, all balancing shot = no more than 4 No 8s below half depth, limit my hook length = no more than 0.6 or 12oz plenty heavy enough for Roach.
    If the water has more depth than 5 feet I use running line.
    PS the gap between the two float stops allows for the line on the surface to sink.
    I get my float stops from China, they take a while to come but are only a couple of quid for 100, Wagglers I make my own, once you have all the components they work out at pence each.

Talking more generally about whips I seem to recall our very own moderator Mr Jacobs did a rather good article about them. I couldnt find it with the new FM search function so dont have the link but its worth doing a bit of digging for.

Interesting this, certainly agree nothing ruled in or out and I'm going to tie a few different rigs after reading the previous posts.
    Personally found the Drennan glow tip antenna float with an Olivet/locking shot and the float sliding to a rubber bead setting the depth really easy. I always fish 4 metres to hand plus an additional 4 metres that can be added in sections or all in one go.
    I mainly use this set up on the canal/river but sometimes change to a smallish Bolo float set up on the river,
    I'd say whip fishing is fishing in it's most simplest form and at times one of the most enjoyable.

Blog Entries

After we changed server providers some older articles lost some of the attached photos. but the text here is still good . . . .

Short Whip Fishing | FishingMagic

Hope it helps

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

As for floats, personally I used a pole float (more sensitive) in probably 90% of the match situations unless the conditions demanded a waggler, and even then I'd be uncertain if the whip was the right method on those days.

I'm sure others will disagree but that is how I fished the method.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    After we changed server providers some older articles lost some of the attached photos. but the text here is still good . . . .

Short Whip Fishing | FishingMagic

Hope it helps
    The pictures still exist, just the links don't work with the extra code after the .jpg

For example

404 Not Found

take off the last bit and

https://www.fishingmagic.com/fmimages/news/pjwhips4.jpg

Whips-pjwhips4.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast