Browning Cenex Lines

valetudoguy

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the above? More specifically the "Soft" variety, though I'm interested in the entire range.

I have picked up a few spools of the Soft variety in both 1.15 and 2.25lb at a good price.

The 1.15 lb is advertised as 0.07mm but looks and feels, to me at least. Almost exactly the same as Silstar Match Team 1.4lb advertised as 0.06mm. it's so close in look and feel when I hold them next to each other that im suspicious it's actually the same line...... Only the Browning cost me about 1/2 of the price.

I won't get a chance to fish it for another week or so, so I am interested in how these Browning lines fish as light hook lengths and pole rig line.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Silstar is very stretchy compared to most lines, enough I would say to distinguish it from others. Suspend a 1M length of both lines with say a 4oz weight and see how they compare. If they're remotely similar I'd say they probably are the same material. That's assuming they're close in diameter. If you've got something else around the same diameter do the same thing. It'll give you some idea of what to expect.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
Silstar is very stretchy compared to most lines, enough I would say to distinguish it from others. Suspend a 1M length of both lines with say a 4oz weight and see how they compare. If they're remotely similar I'd say they probably are the same material. That's assuming they're close in diameter. If you've got something else around the same diameter do the same thing. It'll give you some idea of what to expect.

I have just done as you say and they appear to behave exactly the same. Short of doing more extensive breaking strain tests, I can't tell these two lines apart. I am sufficiently convinced that Browning Cenex Soft 1.15lb is the same line as Silstar Match Team 1.4lb..... or at least so close that I can't discern a tangible difference.

Reaction score
My only issue would best to test it,I'm totally confident using silstar and do so for all my hooklinks for general fishing,it simply doesn't let me down when hlooking good fish,on float,pole or lead,landing carp 25lbs and a catfish 30-8 on 4-6lbs this year,a 13lb common on the pole on 3-3lb,the cost of hooklength material is less of an issue than main lines imv.