Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: What is the best all round pellet?

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    You were up early Mark.
    I follow the sun Mike, not intentionally mind you, just don't sleep well but it's nice having a whole day to do stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I believe that many pellets are attractive to fish,they don't have to be mega smelly,others have no attractiveness at all,sinusitis bloodworm ,which are cherry red are very good,but as I say,I'm using G&M growers carp pellets,which are cheap,with no discernable fishy smell,but are attractive to fish,happy days....
    If I was looking for a carp bait or a commercial/well fished lake, no problem Whit. But it's a river pellet I am looking for that fishes well for a mixture of coarse fish that have not been weened onto them. I know some well known barble and chub rivers fish well on pellets but they have been weened over many years by the many anglers that fish them but my rivers are hardly fished at all. I dont count my recent experiment with small fry chub as they will eat anything anywhere anytime almost. So I am trying to think of something that will at least smell like food to them that they are used to smelling which may just overcome thier natural waryiness of something un-natural; I will try some bloodworm type when I get round to it. It seems to me there could be a market for a ready soft pellet that is instantly attractive to wild river coarse fish if it were possible to invent one. And I wouldnt mind a mullet one as well but I am new to this type of bait so dont know much which probably shows.
    Last edited by markg; 16-07-2019 at 16:24.

Blog Entries

River fish eat hard pellet Mark,I don't fish commies,nor for carp by design...
    Last edited by whitty; 16-07-2019 at 17:53.

Blog Entries

I don't fish for carp by design,nor commies,river fish eat hard pellet.Excuse the abrupt answer,I'm having problems posting.

Blog Entries

Then it posted one that failed,doh...

Blog Entries

I'm going to try and expand on my reply,if allowed,I catch three ounce roach on 6mm hard pellet,four ounce on 8mm,if you want to attract small fish use pinkie,you can band 4mms pellets if you want,they are not limited to carp or commercials,I've caught 4oz dace on 14mms halibut when barbel fishing,immediately after casting,soft isn't always best,although I wouldn't have believed this ten years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I'm going to try and expand on my reply,if allowed,I catch three ounce roach on 6mm hard pellet,four ounce on 8mm,if you want to attract small fish use pinkie,you can band 4mms pellets if you want,they are not limited to carp or commercials,I've caught 4oz dace on 14mms halibut when barbel fishing,immediately after casting,soft isn't always best,although I wouldn't have believed this ten years ago...
    No worries, I still prefer some soft pellets if possible, I just like the idea of something I can just put on the hook but I will check out the band method when I next go to the tackle shop. But I must try some different flavours in the soft pellet first I am still thinking along the lines of natural flavours and I will have a look to see what's on offer but all I could see last time was krill or halibut soft pellets but I will look closer. The shop was crowded and I couldn't ask the tackle bloke was busy.
    Encouraged that you have caught in rivers, just need to find something that works on the rivers I fish, I will experiment further.
    I was thinking through the other day's fishing and those small chub where attracted to the pellets but wouldn't take them, some were big enough so something was putting them off committing, either the hook or just the bait was not quite right for them, they almost certainly had never seen a pellet before. And it might be the same for the bream, roach as well but we will see. I am using bread as a guide; if I am catching on bread then I know whets feeding and then try the pellets. I don’t want to go to tiny pellets for small fish, 8mm seems about right and I can put two on a hook for bigger bait.

I am just looking for an alternative, something in the tackle bag for a quick change of bait not necessarily the main menu and simple to use and not throw away if only half used. And works in under-fished rivers! Tall order I know! If they caught mullet as well, an even taller order that would be gold plated icing.
    Don't ask for much do I
    Last edited by markg; 17-07-2019 at 06:28.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    No worries, I still prefer some soft pellets if possible, I just like the idea of something I can just put on the hook but I will check out the band method when I next go to the tackle shop. But I must try some different flavours in the soft pellet first I am still thinking along the lines of natural flavours and I will have a look to see what's on offer but all I could see last time was krill or halibut soft pellets but I will look closer. The shop was crowded and I couldn't ask the tackle bloke was busy.
    Encouraged that you have caught in rivers, just need to find something that works on the rivers I fish, I will experiment further.
    I was thinking through the other day's fishing and those small chub where attracted to the pellets but wouldn't take them, some were big enough so something was putting them off committing, either the hook or just the bait was not quite right for them, they almost certainly had never seen a pellet before. And it might be the same for the bream, roach as well but we will see. I am using bread as a guide; if I am catching on bread then I know whets feeding and then try the pellets. I don’t want to go to tiny pellets for small fish, 8mm seems about right and I can put two on a hook for bigger bait.

I am just looking for an alternative, something in the tackle bag for a quick change of bait not necessarily the main menu and simple to use and not throw away if only half used. And works in under-fished rivers! Tall order I know! If they caught mullet as well, an even taller order that would be gold plated icing.
    Don't ask for much do I
    I've been float fishing pellet on rivers now for 20 years, some rivers work some don't. The ones that do are the ones that see pellet on a regular basis (Usually from barbel anglers) You're wasting your time looking for a wonder flavour that will just work without feeding loads of freebies

If you wan't to catch on pellet then drip feed a few each trip to that they see it as a natural food source. Hard pellets is the way to go as softs will soon be off the hook on a river when the small stuff start hammering it in the current. Massive fish get caught on 4 and 6mm pellet and using them sizes give you an edge over the larger baits especially mid season when the fish are cagey. Banding a 6mm pellet is easier than fishing soft pellet.

But that's all hypothetical if it's a unfished slow river the chances are pellet isn't the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    I've been float fishing pellet on rivers now for 20 years, some rivers work some don't. The ones that do are the ones that see pellet on a regular basis (Usually from barbel anglers) You're wasting your time looking for a wonder flavour that will just work without feeding loads of freebies

If you wan't to catch on pellet then drip feed a few each trip to that they see it as a natural food source. Hard pellets is the way to go as softs will soon be off the hook on a river when the small stuff start hammering it in the current. Massive fish get caught on 4 and 6mm pellet and using them sizes give you an edge over the larger baits especially mid season when the fish are cagey. Banding a 6mm pellet is easier than fishing soft pellet.

But that's all hypothetical if it's a unfished slow river the chances are pellet isn't the way to go
    I accept all of that Artist and I am sure it may all prove fruitless in the end. I am just one of those people that need to prove to myself it's no good. Once an idea takes hold; sometimes I just can't let it it go until I am satisfied one way or the other. And occasionally I find the accepted lore is too accepted but probably not this time. Anyway, I quite enjoy it, long time since I have done some experimenting, makes fishing a bit more interesting even if it leads to a dead end.
    Last edited by markg; 17-07-2019 at 07:24.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    I accept all of that Artist and I am sure it may all prove fruitless in the end. I am just one of those people that need to prove to myself it's no good. Once an idea takes hold; sometimes I just can't let it it go until I am satisfied one way or the other. And occasionally I find the accepted lore is too accepted but probably not this time. Anyway, I quite enjoy it, long time since I have done some experimenting, makes fishing a bit more interesting even if it leads to a dead end.
    Good luck go for it and if you ever get a mullet on pellet well that will prove anything is possible

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast