Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What is the best all round pellet?

There will be too many criteria for this but I will give it a go. I have never used pellets or a hair rig come to that, just never liked the idea but that's not saying I think it is wrong, it catches plenty of fish obviously.
    So a pellet for rivers mainly, bream, roach, tench etc, possibly does not attract eels would be good so something non fishy or meaty however, prepared to give anything a go. For 14-12 hooks, soft, can stay in the bottom of my tackle bag and not go off once opened although I would not mind putting in the fridge if necessary just that I want something that lives in the bag and can be used anytime I run out of bait and not be forgotten to take with me.
    I was in the tackle shop yesterday topping up bits and asked the bloke about it and he sold me a box of 8mm sonubaits halihookers, they are black and smell nice, a bit fishy though, no hole in the middle and soft but I do not know how long they will last once opened or what they contain, no list of ingredients. I usually have a tin of sweet corn in my bag but they are hit and miss and thought of trying something different.
    Mostly I fish unfished rivers with wild fish so no time to educate fish, therefore, something they might smell and recognize as food readily.
    Lots of criteria but anything near and doesn't have to be pellets come to think of it but, easy buy and no preparation and works-any recommendations? Thanks.
    Last edited by markg; 11-07-2019 at 06:29.

Default Re: What is the best all round pellet?

I cant really help you with soft hookers but with pellet I think you need to go 'all in' by that I mean go large and feed a bit, or feed a lot if there is chub, barbel roach and dace in abundance. However I'm not sure having a small tub on a wild river as reserve will be any more effective than a back up tin of corn or meat. Also the water would need to see pellets going in on a regular basis for them to work well. If i'm fishing a wild river that's not fished much the pellets stay at home, if it's a barbel river that's well fished they are my 'go to' bait

I've tried loads of different pellets and either failed or struggled with them. However; I really like (and so do the fish!) Robin Red pellets in various sizes, for me definitely the best.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post
    I've tried loads of different pellets and either failed or struggled with them. However; I really like (and so do the fish!) Robin Red pellets in various sizes, for me definitely the best.
    I’ve got a lot of confidence in Robin Reds. I nearly always put a few micros in my ground bait mix
    Stickybaits bloodworm pellets do ok for me too.

I agree with the robin red pellets as seemingly more attractive to fish particularly the 10/11mm size. It's always good to have a range of pellets just to ring the changes. When Binka took me barbel fishing on the Trent we used two pellets in tandem or one pellet and a cube of meat. The barbel seemed appreciative at the time.

I've not used the Robin Red pellets.... yet, but my experience of Robin Red generally has been excellent.
    That and the amazing Van Den Eynde 'Pigeon Sh*t' groundbait additive. Me and a couple of mates were deemed to be mental back in the late 80's and 90's for using them. Robin Red was a bird-breeding food supplement, I believe, and we used to buy it from the old pet shop in Burnham. Virtually no one believed us that it worked really well.
    As regards Sonubaits soft hooking pellets, I think they're excellent, particularly the 6mm and 8mm, and they have a really long life.
    Once opened I transfer them from the bag to the smallest, sealable plastic container that they'll fit into.
    I don't think those bags really re-seal properly once opened. I've had a lot of success with both halibut and krill versions in the past for Stillwater roach, Crucians, tench and Rudd. With the 6mm they present really well on hooks as small as size18.
    Not so much success on rivers though, but that may be down to my preference for more traditional/conventional river baits.

Blog Entries

I think confidence is the main thing,I've been using carp pellets from g&m growers(Biggleswade)and doing ok,that said some carp pellets are totally ineffective imo,so a bit of trial and error is a must,imo trout pellet was best,which now is very difficult to obtain,Titmuss at Wheathampstead sell some,but they're very dark,similar to halibuts which I don't like much,the old chestnut brown ones are the ones for me...

8. Default Re: What is the best all round pellet?

I have been using Ringers are am fairly happy. Though I always make a mixed bag of sizes too.

There needs to be more red pellets on the market, why on earth are they brown still. Look at the confidence there is in red maggot which is now the most popular colour.

I keep a tub of these in garlic flavour in my bait bucket along with two sizes of Ringers Chocolate Orange banders. Caught more fish on the Choccy Orange than any other bait. (feel free to insert obligatory comment on how I’m bound to catch more on them if I fish them the most)
    Attached Images Attached Images What is the best all round pellet?-71cf7ba4-2b0d-4a19-9df3-3b7eebeb3554.jpeg What is the best all round pellet?-8d5ba4fe-0405-4ce0-9764-96b60a4d616a.jpeg 

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast