Helicopter rig for chub

Mrnab

Reaction score
Looking at going the river this weekend for the first time, as i've only really ever fished lakes. I normally like to fish for the tench in stillwater on the helicopter rig using maggots and a short hooklink. Now im wondering if the same rig would work as i know chub are a bit finicky. Or should i just go for a free running maggot feeder rig.

The bad one

Reaction score
6s hook, big piece of crust size of a 2 pound coin, running link ledger, you'll have no problem with finicky bites. Only problem you might have is stopping your rod going in the soup if you ain't watching it. :)

Keith M

Reaction score
HNo helicopter rigs needed as the bad one said.

A simple running leger or link leger with a small lead and a hooklength of between 6inch to 18 inches is all you would normally need. (See pic)
My choice for 90% of the time (when legering and not Trotting a float for them) is the simple link leger on the right.

If I’m using the simple leger on the left (which isn’t very often) I always use a running leger (not the water knot).

Chub are not known to be finicky on the rivers and streams that I fish for them, in fact I often have to use a long hair rig just to try to stop Chub from being hooked when I’m after Barbel.

Although they can be very shy if the angler is being too heavy footed or is moving around too much on the bank so concealment and being light footed is often the key.

Keith

Last edited: