Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Homemade paste baits

When I was younger simple bread paste, and to a lesser extent cheese paste, proved pretty decent baits.
    I'm going to try a little experiment with flavoured bread paste. White bread, kneaded with a small ammount of chilli oil and flavoured with strawberry drinking powder. Groundbait has strawberry powder added.

Homemade paste baits-20190713_205022-800x600.jpg

I've convinced myself that this is going to prove a killer with the carp, roach, bream and tench next time I hit my favourite little lake.
    Anyone have any success, or terrible failures, on their own pastes?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Homemade paste baits

Back in the mid 70s during the colder months a mate and I used to regularly travel down to the river Kennet after Chub, and my job during the journey down from Northwood was to kneed our bread & cheese pasted around a large scored raw onion to get as much onion juice and smell into our paste.

The Chub seemed to love it.

If we had any left at the end of the day we would pop it in the freezer and we would add fresh bread/cheese paste to it and add more onion flavour to it the next time we went.

After being in and out of the freezer several times the paste used to feel much colder to the touch and it’s attractiveness to the Chub used to increase even more.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 13-07-2019 at 21:59.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

They always reckoned in the old days not to use tap water, chlorine etc put the fish off and only use the lake or river water which has made me think, why not use purified bottled water these days, cheap enough in the supermarket, the basic not the trendy stuff-not a choice back in the day and who knows what in tap water these days.
    I like supermarket pot pastes, mixed with flour to a stiff paste, you get about a tennis ball size from each pot; the salmon one proved good for commercial carp, shrimp wasn't bad either, had tench and other species on them to but there's the meat based ones as well, beef etc. I have tried using bread with them but the consistancy is not as good, a bag of basic non rising flour was better in my view and very cheap in the supermarket; a bag will give you lots of paste. Cheap all round and plenty of choice, worth experimenting with on your local water, worth a try in a river as well but beware of eels, they love it..
    Last edited by markg; 14-07-2019 at 05:24.

The following paste dates back to the 70s, I used it successfully for crucians and big roach:

Plain flour
    Ready break
    Icing sugar
    Garlic salt

Very simple but it works well.

5. Default Re: Homemade paste baits

Paste baits are huge in Asian countries and there is a lot we can learn from them.

Murukyu of Japan are the big name in the industry, and many ready made powders are sold by them.
    However two thing of importance to their baits, one is that Gluten is the preferred binder over egg.

The second is that a percentage of potato powder is used as this breaks down faster than the gluten portion and “fizzes” to bring in fish.

Here is a video and a little web link from Marukyu, I’m not saying to buy their products... just saying that they know their stuff and we can learn from them.

SPECIAL INGREDIENTS GULUTEN | MARUKYU

[QUOTE=valetudoguy;

Murukyu of Japan are the big name in the industry....... I’m not saying to buy their products... just saying that they know their stuff and we can learn from them.
    [/QUOTE]

Are you still finding their products? They've disappeared from the shelves around here, and I've been told they're not being brought into the country any more. I'm on my last couple of bags of Krill powder.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Are you still finding their products? They've disappeared from the shelves around here, and I've been told they're not being brought into the country any more. I'm on my last couple of bags of Krill powder.
    They’ve gone Kev, if you find any old stock, grab it quick! Managed to find a couple of bags of 131 recently which will be used sparingly.

8. Default Re: Homemade paste baits

It’s a shame if they are no longer available in this country as they were often good products. I only ever bought their stuff from Ted Carter which is now gone from Preston as am I.

Edit: I have literally just been in a tackle shop in Portsmouth who still have Marukyu ground bait and artificials on the shelves and they said they are now in the process of sourcing Marukyu products for import but don’t currently know if all products can be directly replaced and price will obviously be affected.
    Last edited by valetudoguy; 14-07-2019 at 11:26.

It was already expensive enough!

I take the lazy way out. I buy supermarket ready puff pastry and add flavours. Usually ground up pellets or strawberry flavour but anything goes really.
    It makes a good sized batch which I freeze in smaller portions.

If you freeze batches remember to freeze them in flattened shapes and not balls. It de-freezes quicker, better for grab and go sessions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast