Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Sensitive float fishing technique?

Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    I remember helping a guy catch his first barbel on the float last year, showed him how to rig the float keeping it really really simple. He caught one and I let him keep the float which was a wire stemmed stick, I even let him have my swim which was chocca with plenty of chub and barbel and told him to feed every cast. I returned an hour later to find him with no fish using the stick as a waggler, really riding up and of course he wasn't feeding. It's like everything I said went out the window

It is weird the mindset but I reckon we all have traits that others think is bonkers
    I had a similar experience years ago on a stretch which I suspect is the same place on the Lea? I gave a chap half my lump of garlic sausage paste. He wasn't getting anything in a spot crawling with chub. I showed him where to cast and went back to my swim.

When I returned to see how he was getting on, he had chucked the sausage meat in and had continued to use his single maggot and was still blanking. He said he didn't think the meat would work. Apparently it wasn't even worth trying.

I'm usually tempted to try and help if I see someone fishing hopelessly. The results vary. A lot depends on whether the person already has some bits of the jigsaw in place. If they do, they'll probably get the point of your advice and explanation, whether it's plumb up, sink your line, cast here rather than there, keep feeding or whatever. If they don't have enough pieces already in place, it's odds on they won't see how the piece you're offering fits in or why it's important.

Why are you all getting at me?

Some people rarely plumb up either.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Why are you all getting at me?

OI Mike ! If you can catch bream enough to make Skippy jealous its not aimed at you

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I rarely plumb up on the rivers/streams local to me as I've a pretty good knowledge of the topography - I tend to guesstimate and then, if necessary, adjust the stick to where I get takes rather than snagging on the weed................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Putting to one side some of the extreme examples that have been quoted, I think it is a case of: It's not what you do but the way that you do it. The the first time I drew next to Trent Legend Johnny Moult. I was gob smacked at the amount of float he had showing. This was pre caster and stick float days so no fishing on the drop. The bait was usually presented on or over depth. Suffice to say it worked for him and he could read what was happening well enough. This was on The Rack at Burton Joyce. He gave me a right banjo-ing as I recall. Pete.
    Casternets

there is a lot happy splodgers about - but they would be even happier if they caught more
    Thing is even a happy splodger can have a red letter day and catch loads of fish
    So if that happens once in a while there is no need to improve technique you can blame the weather or lack of fish etc etc

I find this time around in my fishing hobby ( 3rd time 6 - 15 , 48 - 54 , 57 onwards ) I am paying much more attention to reading and thinking about a way to consistently catch on a canal whereas my previous technique was just to throw a very few casters over the float once a minute - now that can sometimes catch a lot of fish ! but ( a confession ) I have never even tried groundbait on a canal , I tried Licjy Bread once and totally overfed it , so it depends , as someone else said , if you want to learn and enjoy learning you will improve but you can still fish poorly and enjoy fishing.

I do remember fishing a pool and the baliff said your float is too big , changed it and started catching , but I am the kind of guy who doesn't get offended at well intention'd unsolicited advice ( unless its when I am cycling and some guy says "oi mate stay on the road not the pavement" [ it was a designated cycle lane ] )

Quote Originally Posted by valetudoguy View Post
    I feel like I’m constantly banging on about Asian Fishing recently. However, they use very sensitive long floats for Herabuna (Crucian Carp).
    They had some of these in Decathlon today. I've watched some of the Japanese 'crucian'* videos and in some ways it appeals to me. Using two hooks isn't something that sits well with me, despite once being the child inventor of the '10 hook stickleback stick'. Those fizzing hookbaits do look great though, i have to say.

Was it you that posted a video here about crucian feeding with underwater footage?

*I have to say our Crucians are a much better looking species

Blog Entries

This is a story I've told many times,I was waggler fishing maggot at Makins(a long time back)catching carp,chub,bream etc,nobody was catching,it was freezing,with a North wind causing a tow,the swim I was fishing was ten feet deep and going back against the wind,I was fishing a 3aa plus insert float with about 14mms of tip out dragging two number ten shot to slow it down a bit,this guy came up and watched me for about ten minutes,then said I'd catch a lot more if I dotted the float right down,normally I would just say 'really',but I thought I'd educate him and explained why I was doing it,he wouldn't have it and got a little disgruntled,I'm not sure,but I probably had a few liners which he mistook for failed bites,if I had,had a dotted float I would have full hooked striking at those....

I have loads of floats and vary them according to light conditions and how far out my swim is. The common denominator is always the knowledge that the float I
    is intended to be a visual aid to a bite therefore one must be able to see it.

I have recently started using Drennan Visiwags 1 and 2 floats, usually the 1g but up to 2g if I'm casting any distance. They require little additional shotting other than the link swivel of the cralusso type and the bait. A piece of meat or a pellet weighs more than a caster or maggot. I always have At least .5" or a little more showing. The visiwag has a glow tip which glows in sunlight thus making it visible. My question is why would I dot it down to a pimple so that it wasn't visible and couldn't glow? Even the nibbles and sucks of gudgeon, roach and small perch are indicated by the float so it is sensitive. I'm probably wrong but if the float dips, moves sideways or rises then that could be a bite and so I lift my rod tip by way of a strike and usually a small fish ensues or even a larger one.

My laziness in plumbing up is largely caused by my preference to fish overdepth or up in the water. I never use a dumpy pellet waggler.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast