Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Sensitive float fishing technique?

I will say before I continue that everyone is entitled to enjoy their own style and don't wish to seem unkind.

This evening I walked round my club lake and one old boy (younger than me) was sat float fishing. He is not new to fishing and I don't think his sight is bad, so how can anyone who presumably wants to catch fish can sit there with that much float above the surface.

I am not exaggerating when I say there was about 4 inches of brightly striped thick waggler proud of the water reminiscent of Beach Head Lighthouse.Also the huge bow in the thick line dragging around on the surface.

I noticed he had a tiny hook with a maggot and several AAA shot at random places on the line with the crowning glory of a swan shot 2 inches from the tiny hook.

His bearing is such that I didn't venture to offer any advice.

What I dont get is that if someone forks out for tackle, licence, club fees etc why they don't go that step further to research a better way to use the outlay. He obviously wanted to catch as he struck when a small perch managed to drag the weight sideways a bit and make the float send ripples out.

Anyone else come across such anglers?
    Last edited by john step; 16-07-2019 at 21:33.

Default Re: Sensitive float fishing technique?

In a word yes ! Sometimes they even have a river float sticking a mile out of the water and are fishing in a lake, but I guess as long as they are enjoying themselves then thats the important bit.

The other thing is sometimes there is no logic to it & I learnt my lesson quite a few years ago when fishing a small commercial lake for Perch. I had all the gear and fancy setup and had a long chat with the owner about my "advanced" tactics then a young kid to our left hauled in a 3lb + perch on the most crude setup you can imagine. The owner laughed his head off.

My neighbour who fishes with me on Saturdays fishes the big wagglers which stick out of the water so far I often kid him that the next boat along will moor up to it..
    His shotting usually consists of randomly placed BB's.
    He does however catch some big old roach occasionally.

Sometimes it just doesn't matter a toss. However, sometimes it really does matter. I recently fished a small local commie (rod to test). It's lifting with fish, but there's lots of small stuff (roach, rudd and skimmers) that tend to be fairly shy biting.

There was a venue regular already set up on the next peg to the one I chose. This old boy was using a fairly short, thick (pellet) waggler, though was rigged for conventional maggot work. Having watched him for a little while, I was convinced that he was getting bites that he just wasn't seeing due to the insensitivity of the float. I set up with a Drennan glow tip and caught a fish a chuck.

It took about five minutes for him to ask me what bait I was using. After an hour or so of watching me catch, he upped sticks and moved, telling me that he just couldn't pick a peg recently. I didn't have the heart to suggest that picking a peg probably wasn't the issue. I hope the fish were more accommodating on his new peg.

Sometimes à float can be too sensitive and you end up striking too early, especially when using large baits for big roach. Many a time I have incorrectly set the float up and it disappears too easily from every little tug from small fish.

I used to fish regularly with a mate; he was a sea angler really with sausages for fingers. He always fished with big floats and weights, he was most happy when he found a huge Polaris float, he would stick a great big arsely bomb on it and he never fished with anything else in the end. I used to plead with him to go lighter but he wouldn’t have it. One day I was catching big bream and tench and the bloke in the swim the other side of him was catching also on tiny floats and 3lb line while he couldn’t hook a bite but he still wouldn’t have it. Lovely bloke though, my regular fishing buddy for years until he passed on.
    And I must admit, I dont fuss these days. Very basic set up usually.
    Last edited by markg; 17-07-2019 at 05:42.

I spent a whole season trying out intricate shotting patterns as i read an article about how it was good for big roach

Then I spent a couple of seasons watching the fish in clear water

You should see how basic my shotting is now

Bottom line is they don't give a hoot as long as the bait is falling/behaving the same way as the loosefeed, All that matters is that last foot of line to the hook. Shot and the floats that carry them are just a vehicle to get it there

8. Default Re: Sensitive float fishing technique?

I feel like I’m constantly banging on about Asian Fishing recently. However, they use very sensitive long floats for Herabuna (Crucian Carp).

The floats are designed like this due to the nature of fishing with paste. The paste is heavy to begin with and slowly (or not so slowly) devolves becoming lighter. The floats raise up even higher in the water as the bait goes, finally getting to a point that they know they have no bait.

They also don’t use split shot, preferring to use thin strips of lead or lead substitute ribbon. They wrap this around the line for form a barrel and cut it off when the weight is as desired.

Sensitive float fishing technique?-f04a39e4-a475-4103-afc6-10feaaa91124.jpeg

It’s certainly a sensitive enough way to fish, even though there can be quite a lot of weight involved, under that float. There is no excessive shooting pattern either.

Sensitive float fishing technique?-0ec392dc-53f4-45ba-8d6e-27da6db674b3.jpg
    Last edited by valetudoguy; 17-07-2019 at 09:54.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Sometimes it just doesn't matter a toss. However, sometimes it really does matter. I recently fished a small local commie (rod to test). It's lifting with fish, but there's lots of small stuff (roach, rudd and skimmers) that tend to be fairly shy biting.

There was a venue regular already set up on the next peg to the one I chose. This old boy was using a fairly short, thick (pellet) waggler, though was rigged for conventional maggot work. Having watched him for a little while, I was convinced that he was getting bites that he just wasn't seeing due to the insensitivity of the float. I set up with a Drennan glow tip and caught a fish a chuck.

It took about five minutes for him to ask me what bait I was using. After an hour or so of watching me catch, he upped sticks and moved, telling me that he just couldn't pick a peg recently. I didn't have the heart to suggest that picking a peg probably wasn't the issue. I hope the fish were more accommodating on his new peg.
    Yes sometimes one feels that one cannot comment or advise as some folk are so fixed in thinking.

PS. peterjg I agree with oversensitivity at times but sometimes its just ridiculously heavy with no thought about where shot should go.

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    Yes sometimes one feels that one cannot comment or advise as some folk are so fixed in thinking.
    I remember helping a guy catch his first barbel on the float last year, showed him how to rig the float keeping it really really simple. He caught one and I let him keep the float which was a wire stemmed stick, I even let him have my swim which was chocca with plenty of chub and barbel and told him to feed every cast. I returned an hour later to find him with no fish using the stick as a waggler, really riding up and of course he wasn't feeding. It's like everything I said went out the window

It is weird the mindset but I reckon we all have traits that others think is bonkers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast