Bream feeder fishing on rivers (need advice)

vasmasta

Reaction score
Just wondering how you guys approach this situation

In my experience when i am fishing for bream on river after i have put some ground bait in the feeder with chopped worms and casters into the swim after about an hour or more bream will come onto the feed and i will try to catch as many as i can during that time which usually lasts for about an hour an a half or so, after that it just goes dead and ill start catching nothing or just small roach or perch etc.. but no bream

I never start experimenting and just carry on casting on the same spot after with more ground bait in a feeder just in case they come back but in my experience they never do...

What do you usually do in that situation? i heard that they back away from the feed but not go away completely or move down stream a little, i am not too sure just what i heard somewhere on internet a while ago

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have read bream have a regular patrol route they follow, they stop to feed when they come across a baited area, once they have fed up full or thier instinct to carry on thier patrol route takes over, they move on. I dont know myself but it seems likely this is what's happening to you. Bear in mind the bigger fish will be smaller shoals as well. You don't say whether you are fish river or lake but if a river or a big lake, I would change swims as far away as you can and hope to get onto another shoal. Not a bad idea as you may find some bigger fished size shoals as well.
More so rivers but different sections will hold different shoals of different sizes and patrol routes.
Took me quite a while once to find a shoal of good bream on a river but once I did I caught them. Fortunately it was a good swim for other species as well, a small lily pad was there and I caught a few tench and some big roach.

Last edited: