which rod

mvwales

Reaction score
I am going to be fishing a commercial carp fishery where there is a chance of hooking double figure fish I will be float fishing, at my disposal I have a 13ft drennan compact tench float rod, series 7 avon quiver 1.5lb test curve, fox duo light 1.75lb to 2.25lb avon rod and fox carp rods 2.75lb.

I am leaning towards the drennan tench rod or the series 7 1.5lb for float work what rod would you guys opt for if float fishing?

valetudoguy

Reaction score
Series 7 Avon quiver for me, purely based on its versatility. Say you get there and conditions aren’t conducive to float fishing or feeder is just plain out fishing it. You could end up wishing you had the option.

nottskev

Reaction score
I'd go for the tench float rod. It should be well up to the job, and float rods are generally nicer to handle for floatfishing and more enjoyable to play fish on - you say "a chance" of double figure fish, so presumably most will be smaller. If you need to gear up, for particular swims or circumstances, you can always use one of the other rods.

Reaction score
I'd go for the tench float rod. It should be well up to the job, and float rods are generally nicer to handle for floatfishing and more enjoyable to play fish on - you say "a chance" of double figure fish, so presumably most will be smaller. If you need to gear up, for particular swims or circumstances, you can always use one of the other rods.

Agree with that Kev,the tench rod is more than strong enough,if your using a good 6/7lb mono iI would expect no issues with double figure carp,just fun,unless its snaggy or weedy...

Molehill

Reaction score
I would probably put 3 rods in the car and then you can change accordingly if things don't work out with one?
Otherwise I would approach the issue from the direction of what strength line do I need to stop a hooked fish in how much space - taking into account size of fish and importantly snags, lillies etc. near your swim - and then match a suitable rod to that line.

If it is all open water you can float fish relatively light and land fish, if not you will have to go heavier according to conditions. And only you know that when you arrive at the venue and choose your swim.

Keith M

Reaction score
If you are going to use a float I would be using your Drennan Tench Float rod.

It depends on how comfortable you are at playing a decent sized fish really.

I catch a lot of decent sized Barbel (with the very occasional double figure one showing its face) when trotting in a small winding river using a Drennan Tench Float rod, and they fight even harder than a low double figure Carp from the river, so it should be able to handle the occasional low double figure pond pig in a commercial.

Plus it will handle a float a lot easier than a rod that’s not ringed for float fishing, and it will also handle lines of up to 6 to 8lb (depending on the model).

Keith.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'd just buy a new rod. I don't need much of an excuse!

More seriously, I'd use the Drennan Tench Float rod unless I were fishing a snag pit. Even then, I'd be reluctant to use an Avon for float fishing. There aren't many Avon rods out there that make even a half decent stab at being float rods. OK if you've got nothing better, but you have.