Clever New Hooklength System

John Keane

Reaction score
Looks like Preston Imitations have actually come up with a good idea of their own, for a change.

Hooklength boxes with magnetic storage for varying lengths of hooklengths.

Hooklengths come ready tied in 8’s on a plastic stick/jig and you just drop them straight into the box. The 4” ones, which are what I mostly use, come with pellet bands or kwikstops and the bands are the translucent white ones, which don’t perish.

I’ve had the odd breakage recently using the Guru 4” pre-tied lengths so I’m going to give the Prestons a go. The line used is Reflo Power Line which is good stuff and I tie all my pole rigs on it.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve been using them for a while now and find them excellent, much better than the Guru equivalent.

Reaction score
But other products guru produce are better than Preston equivalent.

John Keane

Reaction score
But other products guru produce are better than Preston equivalent.

Subjective opinions as are most endorsements of fishing tackle. I’ll still use the Guru 15” hooklengths, the Impact Bombs and the Pellet Pliers but I think the Preston Quick Change System of Feeders and Bombs is better than Guru, even if they are MAP copies.

Edit: and I use two Guru Catapults that are great pieces of kit.

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
I bought one recently and have just finished loading it. So far I find no fault with it. Works well. The only minor comment I have is that the winders are designed to hold 8 hooks, hooks which are sold in minimum quantities of 10?Pete

Richox12

Reaction score
I bought one recently and have just finished loading it. So far I find no fault with it. Works well. The only minor comment I have is that the winders are designed to hold 8 hooks, hooks which are sold in minimum quantities of 10?Pete

Why is that a problem ? Do you tie 10 at a time ? Use up every hook before tying another 10 ? Surely on a popular hook you'd tie another batch of 'x' qty if there were only 2 or 3 left - just in case - rather than risk not having enough for a session and running out ?

bracket

Reaction score
I did not say it was a problem. I tie hooks in hundreds not tens. Just that as the rest of the design is so well thought out one would have expected a glaringly obvious point like that would have been covered. I was merely making a constructive comment which doesn't warrant a "Third Degree" response. Pete

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Let’s just hope that hook makers aren’t thinking of selling hooks in packs of eight soon; like many other slowly shrinking things that we buy in our shops these days. :(

Keith

John Keane

Reaction score

You’re a hero, Pete, filling the box yourself, I’m buying the ready tied ones to fill mine up.

theartist

Reaction score
Let’s just hope that hook makers aren’t thinking of selling hooks in packs of eight soon; like many other slowly shrinking things that we buy in our shops these days. :(

Keith

Don't give them Ideas Keith , that does sound like something we are going to be seeing one day

rayner

Reaction score
I've done away with hook wallets, I've had both Preston and Guru. They look tidy and do a good job.
Trouble was the amount I had.
Now I use a small box with foam disks to hold tied hooks. I think it's a cheap NG box, must have been cheap or I wouldn't have bought it.
The only hook wallet I have now is a Preston one to hold my method hooks, 4" hook lengths.

Stalker

Reaction score
I just use the humble (unbranded) rig bin - length doesn't matter and you can get loads in the small ones.

Mind you, the flatness of the Preston and Guru boxes make them easier to store and transport if you're a mobile angler.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve modified a few of the holders to accept different lengths.

o4XMfzc.jpg

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
We have indeed seemingly accepted "shrinkflation" in our everyday life so it is almost inevitable that we will see it in our fishing tackle sales.

Interestingly, the impact of "shrinkflation" is not taken into account in the monthly or quarterly inflation figures and seems to go unnoticed by Joe Public, but that won't be the case with us anglers if packs of 8 become the norm' .. . . .

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Wagon Wheels.

NO WAY are they the same size as they used to be...

No they most certainly are not.....and since when was a topic barely as long as your finger ? And dont get me started on supermarket multipacks of choccy bars which are about 2/3rds the size of a real one so they can sell you 4 for £1 and make you think you've got a bargain.

Rant over and back on the real ( non chocolate) topic. I dont like Guru pre tied hooks tied on NGuage line which IMO is a crock of shoite having suffered a few catastrophic failures. Hooklengths you cant trust are worthless.

If I did more winkle fishing I might have one of those boxes...but I dont do it much anymore.

Richox12

Reaction score
I did not say it was a problem. I tie hooks in hundreds not tens. Just that as the rest of the design is so well thought out one would have expected a glaringly obvious point like that would have been covered. I was merely making a constructive comment which doesn't warrant a "Third Degree" response. Pete

Third degree ?? Good grief man. I was being genuinely curious as to what the reasoning was as, personally, I cannot see that the qty of hooks per peg makes one jot of difference so long as it is 'several'. I don't see it as 'glaringly obvious' otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question.

Philip

Reaction score
I have never been totally happy with any hook link storage system. I now just carry a few made up ones is small plastic wallets..the sort you would keep business or credit cards in. It keeps each separate and I also like the fact it wont kink them in any way plus its tiny & flat so I can slip it into the pocket of the fishing waist coat.

John Keane

Reaction score
I have never been totally happy with any hook link storage system. I now just carry a few made up ones is small plastic wallets..the sort you would keep business or credit cards in. It keeps each separate and I also like the fact it wont kink them in any way plus its tiny & flat so I can slip it into the pocket of the fishing waist coat.

A fly leader wallet, full of clear plastic pockets, would be ideal for you then, Philip.

John Keane

Reaction score
Noticed one small, niggling design fault with the box system (4” one anyway) and it’s this: If you buy the ready made up rig sticks each one has an indentation, on the underside, at one end and a corresponding ridge in the box. This means you can only store the rig sticks one way round. Because each half of the box is configured identically then the labels on the rig sticks in the top half of the box are facing you and the ones in the bottom are facing away and you need to turn the box round to read them.

Absolutely no hassle in the greater scheme of thing but Preston could have foreseen it and configured the box differently. Those stalwarts who tie their own hooklengths and write their own labels do not have to put up with this anomaly.