Total Fishing Tackle - CHEATS!

Reaction score
Trouble is with ebay is they have a set timescale on no shows,I had an order for a dozen packets of Drennan hooks,they didn't show for nearly three weeks,I messaged the supplier three times,starting three days after the due dates,the guy re-sent said hooks stating they would almost certainly arrive and if they did,I should keep them, I said that's not fair on him,but he said it was for my inconvenience,they did turn up some 13 weeks after the due dates...

sylvanillo

Reaction score
I've ordered from Total Fishing Tackle (on their website) and have been quite happy with them - 24 hour delivery from Uk to Belgium, better choice and faster than any Belgian company. Their stock is synchronised with their ebay account.

I too think this was an eBay thing.

That being said, on 2 occasions I have encountered an issue with ebay, a seller who never sent the item, and a seller who sent the wrong size and did not refund although I had returned the item and it was received. On both occasions, I opened a dispute and they solved the problem within hours.

That won't change the fact that you might not get the item anyhow :eek:hwell: at least you can claim the refund and will certainly obtain it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am wondering if the bidder had made a bid more aligned with the RRP, or at least the price the dealer has to pay for the rod, if then it might have been in stock?

Online it seems these rods have a RRP of just over £125 so the winning bid of just £51 was, seemingly, never going to cut it . . . . . I could be wrong but it seems more likely . . . . .

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The selling price on their website was £69.99. How they got it to that I don't know, but I did notice a day or so before the auction finished that they were out of stock. However, I would still expect the item listed to have been quarantined to fulfill the listing promise. The bid I put in was more than the £51 it ended up as, but with ebay's policy and software you only pay £1 (or whatever) more than the last bidder.

When anyone lists something at an auction you take your chance unless you put a reserve on the item and bidders don't like reserves since it means they can bid to their heart's content and maybe never win the item. I see it in auction rooms where people bid frantically, but never enough to match an outrageous reserve and the bidders are then disappointed. If it's a well attended auction (what's not well attended on ebay?) then it will find the price it is worth there and then.

"And that's the real deal!" - according to that orange faced bloke on the telly (no, not Trump this time.)

Specihunter

Reaction score
I was also thinking as it went for less then the RRP they simply said it was out of stock then re post in the hope for a higher winning bid.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I'd bought something else off the ebay site recently and after I received them I posted some positive feedback for the supplier. As soon as I had, ebay asked me if I wanted to leave any more feedback, but I couldn't remember buying anything else that I hadn't left feedback for. So I clicked yes or whatever it is to find out if there was something and lo and behold - up popped the rod I couldn't have.

How can you get the nastiest NEGATIVE feedback into just 80 characters. I tried! Really I did.

I feel a lot better for it too.

mikench

Reaction score
I bet you do. eBay and Amazon get on my wick asking for feedback constantly . It makes you want to give negative feedback almost.

ian g

Reaction score
I bet you do. eBay and Amazon get on my wick asking for feedback constantly . It makes you want to give negative feedback almost.

You're right there Mike , I bought some light bulbs from a site on Ebay , received them , left feedback and then had 3 emails from the supplier telling me how important feedback is to them . I eventually replied saying that requesting feedback constantly wasn't a good way to get good feedback .

rich66

Reaction score
Feedback has gone nuts, nearly everywhere now asks for feedback. Bombarded by checkout staff with it too.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree it's out of hand. I've had regular requests for feedback for goods I haven't even received. Some ask for 5* ratings. Er I'll decide what ratings I give if any.

rayner

Reaction score
I've bought the odd item off ebay with no trouble, I never buy from there now for the simple fact that there seems to be a regular occurrence of disgruntled buyers.
Now if my tackle shop can't get what I want then I try Amazon Prime, other than that I phone round tackle shops in the area.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I buy quite a bit from ebay, both new and second hand. Private sellers and shops, it's all the same to me. I've largely had good experiences and only the very occasional bad one. However, I'm pretty careful about what I buy from where and how much I pay. I suspect I've had marginally more negative experiences buying from established UK fishing retailers (direct and via ebay) than anything else. More than the odd one is prone to selling things they don't actually have in stock. I've also had my suspicions about a few auctioning items, not getting the price they expected, then claiming the item is out of stock. You'll usually see evidence of a slightly dubious seller in the feedback, even if a superficial look suggests that their feedback is pretty good. However, always bear in mind that there are plenty of idiot buyers giving unwarranted negative feedback. There also may be instances of understandably disgruntled buyers never getting to post warranted negative feedback.

Unfortunately, an awful lot of buyers seem to lack patience. They often experience problems with couriers and complain about the seller. I don't generally expect immediate dispatch and next day delivery, especially from private sellers. I anticipate that most will have proper jobs and won't necessarily dispatch as quickly as they possibly could. The only real complaint with that is that they could often communicate better or be a bit less naive with the system generated expected delivery times. If you want an item next day, or the day after, chances are you are going to have to buy new from the handful of mail order outlets that are well known for such speedy service. Bobco and Tacklebox spring to mind as being amongst those that consistently get this right. However, even the outlets with good reputations can have minor difficulties on occasion.

I also take the use of terms such as mint, unused, new/other etc with a bucketful of salt, especially from private sellers and dealers. With fishing kit, it really pays to look carefully at the pictures. Claims of kit being new other/unused are often easily discounted. In so many cases sellers are too lazy to clean duplon/cork handles. They leave plastic on old rods thinking that it proves no/little use when there are obvious signs of it being a lie. One of my biggest bugbears is people propping rods up against garden sheds and fences with butts and female sections on bricks, concrete, paving, gravel, grass, or muck. If that's how they treat a rod they want to sell, how badly did they treat it in use?

John Keane

Reaction score

The flip side to that is being a private seller (as I am) I give feedback promptly to buyers for payment and often never receive any feedback for my item. eBay ultimately stands or falls by the feedback system and if buyers aren’t willing to leave it, they should F-off and not use eBay at all!

sam vimes

Reaction score
The flip side to that is being a private seller (as I am) I give feedback promptly to buyers for payment and often never receive any feedback for my item. eBay ultimately stands or falls by the feedback system and if buyers aren’t willing to leave it, they should F-off and not use eBay at all!

The same goes for sellers. In the god knows how many years I've been on ebay I've sold just one item. Over those years, I've found that the sellers most likely to leave no feedback are retail outlets and prolific private sellers. That gets on my wick when it happens. I'd reckon that a buyer getting feedback from such sellers is a no better than 50/50 chance. It's also becoming obvious that the majority of sellers won't leave feedback until the buyer does. As far as I'm aware, sellers are supposed to give feedback as soon as a buyer has paid up. This rarely happens, though I don't particularly blame them.

John Keane

Reaction score
I find that, generally the larger eBay retailers and shops leave feedback and it’s the smaller private sellers (and definitely buyers) that don’t. Just goes to show the diversity of experience on eBay.

I just bought a Velbon tripod head for my birding scope and having placed the order I received at least 2 emails from the bloke telling me that he had received my order and was packing it for postage the next day. Then next day another private message saying he’d posted it. I received it, was pleased, and left positive feedback for him. Has he left any for my payment? Has he f***!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I find it rather strange that people will not buy from someone with a 42% E-bay feedback positive rating, but are seemingly happy to allow the same to run their country . . . .

think about it ;)

John Keane

Reaction score
I find it rather strange that people will not buy from someone with a 42% E-bay feedback positive rating, but are seemingly happy to allow the same to run their country . . . .

think about it ;)

Politics, give yourself a slap on the wrist Peter! I don’t buy from eBay sellers with that sort of feedback, nor do I subscribe to this rabble of a government!

mikench

Reaction score
I have literally bought hundreds of items from Amazonin the Uk and France and hundreds from EBay. I have never sold a thing.

I do give feedback and regularly usually good, as touch wood, I have had very few problems and minor items like hooks are replaced if lost. I have bought rods and reels, aquarium items, clothes and it works for me.

To reiterate I object to being reminded to give feedback when I haven't even received the item. I also object , particularly on Amazon, to having to put in my password again to give feedback so I don't . They have contacted me so have my details. I adopt the same attitude to calls from Virgin media, EE , Sky and the like seeking to offer me something I don't want. Why should I answer all their security questions when they rang me. If they are not certain I am who I say I am why call? It's very irritating.

Reaction score
I have bought some isome works and a leather mobile case over the weekend,the worms friday,the case saturday,the case showed as being shipped sunday,the worms had no sign of shipping Monday afternoon,I emailed them saying it they had sold out I wanted a refund as I needed them for the weekend(both items had delivery dates for tue/wed both came yesterday,the works had express delivery which I had not asked for,just have had a glitch,they both were given positive feedback...

rayner

Reaction score
When I said on my earlier post I don't buy from ebay that's not strictly true, I recently bought a load of float stops from China. They were 2 quid for a hundred stops, I bought a couple of packs.
The stops from the tackle shop are £2.25 for a dozen, OK they are super tight stops, where the £2 stops from China need two stops to prevent them from sliding, still no contest. In pairs they work fine.