Preston reflow Line?

peterjg

Reaction score
Is Preston Reflo line being phased out and replaced?

Last edited:

Reaction score
Hope so;),that horrible daiwa stuff is better...

John Keane

Reaction score
I like Reflo, as long as you realise the diameters are wrong, you’re fine. Myself and my friendly local tackle dealer tested the full range with a micrometer on a wet afternoon, with nothing better to do, and they are all around 0.02 higher than the stated diameter so 0.15mm is actually 0.17mm so the stated breaking strain for each diameter tends to be accurate.

Reaction score
Well I find it flimsy stuff that has virtually no abrasion resistance,everyone to their own,I bought some on recommendation,it ended in the bin...

sam vimes

Reaction score
I quite like the blue Preston Reflo in 3 to 5lb. I know the diameter is understated slightly, but I don't care. Compared to the likes of Maxima and (original) Sensor, it's much less understated. I tend to use it on stillwaters when fishing the waggler for the smaller species.

bracket

Reaction score
Yes I'm a reflo fan too. I only use it for hook lengths in dia's 0.13, 0.15 and 0.17. I find it ties up well. Pete

John Keane

Reaction score
Well I find it flimsy stuff that has virtually no abrasion resistance,everyone to their own,I bought some on recommendation,it ended in the bin...

What 0.13 line has much abrasion resistance? I only use it for making pole rigs anyway so abrasion doesn’t really come into the equation. It’s better than Guru NGauge but I also like Silstar Match team in the even number breaking strains.

Reaction score
When I used it and I have it a fair go,I found that after I netted a fish,or users distorted on one it would kink,or pigtail,flatspot etc very easily,that's me though,I've no doubt others have differing opinions.
Anyway,I'm on the hook now,why even number breaking strains???

John Keane

Reaction score
When I used it and I have it a fair go,I found that after I netted a fish,or users distorted on one it would kink,or pigtail,flatspot etc very easily,that's me though,I've no doubt others have differing opinions.
Anyway,I'm on the hook now,why even number breaking strains???

Dunno, Matchteam precedes both Reflo and NGauge and has always been 0.12, 0.14 etc. It’s good line but comes on big spools and stuff like Reflo is on more compact spools so it’s a more attractive prospect in the bag/box.

bullet

Reaction score
I've been using it in higher breaking strains for trotting and found it very well behaved, floats well too..

Reaction score
What reflow,matches is pretty good for trotting...

bullet

Reaction score
Reflo powerline.(on a centrepin).

Last edited:

Stalker

Reaction score

I found exactly the same, and I tried it in various breaking strains (depending on what I was after on the day) from 2lb 10oz up to 9lb. I also found that it was an absolute nightmare if you were fishing in a lake or river with an abundance of tiddlers and fry trying to have a go, and it would tangle up and around itself - not had a mono line do that since the dreaded Maxima and its infamous coiled spring memory.

I know loads of people swear by it both as a mainline and, particularly, as hooklength mono - I see a lot of the bivvy brigade are using it now in the higher breaking strains over other techie hooklength materials - but I've been fairly disappointed with it.

As to the original question whether it's being phased out/replaced - I've not seen or heard anything to that effect, and it must surely be one of Preston's biggest money makers.