Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Rod tip breakage

so only naming the Drennans what about the other three ?.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by edsurf View Post
    so only naming the Drennans what about the other three ?.
    Glad to. A Normark that I banged against a steel bridge, a Shakespeare that I tried to lift a ton boulder off the bottom of the Wye with ( not recommended) and a Harrison that was put away intact but was broken when next used. The rest were Drennans ( all float rods) and all of them failed catastrophically when under no real pressure.

My Acolyte is still intact...so far anyway though I guess this is tempting fate.

Blog Entries

As a few of you know a few months ago I had the tip section on my Ultra split and break suddenly about a third of the way down from the tip and this happened as I was threading some 3lb line through it’s rings.

Because I’d had it over a year Drennan refused to replace it and I had to buy a replacement tip for £60.

Yes it is possible that it could have been damaged by some unknown reason but I am very doubtful of this.

Keith
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith M View Post
    As a few of you know a few months ago I had the tip section on my Ultra split and break suddenly about a third of the way down from the tip and this happened as I was threading some 3lb line through it’s rings.

Because I’d had it over a year Drennan refused to replace it and I had to buy a replacement tip for £60.

Yes it is possible that it could have been damaged by some unknown reason but I am very doubtful of this.

Keith
    Keith, thats a bit of a relief for me actually. I recently bought a 14 Ultra float. Should I be unfortunate enough to have a breakage it wont need a new mortgage!!!

Have to say that I have heard all this about rod breakages in top end rods 25 years ago. Nothing much changes.
    When I was working in retail it involved top end fly rods costing many £100s, Loomis, Sage, Hardy, Scott and more, never the anglers fault. But knowing some of the anglers and watching them fish, first hand, it didn't take a genius to work out why the rods broke.

I'm not saying there are no manufacturing faults, nor some design faults, because there are. But if a rod is going to break under stress it will do so fairly soon, not wait a year after purchase.

Different action and angles give different stresses, as has been said above, a 5oz roach bouncing with the rod at a bad angle is way different from swinging in a static fish correctly.

For the record I have abused my acolyte no end swinging fish in. Thinking to myself afterwards " Don't be an idiot, net it". At some point I will break it, but not blame the rod.

Just need to say here that I recently broke the tip off my Darent Valley as per previous post, it was my fault entierely, just me being a clumsy old s@d

Quote Originally Posted by shane99 View Post
    Just need to say here that I recently broke the tip off my Darent Valley as per previous post, it was my fault entierely, just me being a clumsy old s@d
    They are guaranteed for life. Give Tacklebox a ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Quote Originally Posted by shane99 View Post
    My fishing partner broke mine. They replaced it free of cost despite my making it clear that it was entirely our fault and that I would happily pay for a replacement. It's a great rod.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Roberts View Post
    They are guaranteed for life. Give Tacklebox a ring.

An UNCONDITIONAL & LIFETIME guarantee ? So no matter the cause of breakage you get a new section/rod regardless ?

What sort of business is that ??

Unless they are massively expensive and you have covered the cost of multiple replacements in the first place ?

Quote Originally Posted by Richox12 View Post
    An UNCONDITIONAL & LIFETIME guarantee ? So no matter the cause of breakage you get a new section/rod regardless ?

What sort of business is that ??

Unless they are massively expensive and you have covered the cost of multiple replacements in the first place ?
    Knowledge Base :: Customer Service :: Aftersales support - Knowledge base

If you have a problem give them a call. They fixed an out of manufacturers guarantee reel I bought from them FOC and repaired a rod tip from a rod I didn’t buy from them for a tenner. If the stuff you sell is good quality you shouldn’t have every customer coming back for free repairs. I have a few of their own brand products and have been totally satisfied with them and not broken one yet, lol. I don’t have any connection to the company other than as a satisfied customer.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast