Rod tip breakage

barbelboi

Reaction score
I witnessed one of these first hand yesterday whilst stream fishing with a friend. I had just taken a break from trotting and walked back upstream to where he was and he was in the process of swinging in a small roach (no more than 5oz). The tip snapped cleanly at approximately 10 inches from the top and is was quite weird watching it go. He's only had the rod a few weeks and (the short version) a replacement is in the post.

barbelboi

Reaction score
No, I was using my 4 year old Acolyte Ultra which has stood up to everything thrown at it - he was using a Red Range 13' float rod for probably the 4th time.

Seeing the break first hand my guess would be a fault in the carbon creating a very weak spot at that point. There was no issue/problem with the supplier regarding immediate courier replacement.

barbelboi

Reaction score
It does look a bit like that Skip although I'm sure some are due to bad angling/clumsiness/whatever. Seeing this happen right in front of me at 10 inches down the tip under virtually no pressure indicated that 'carbon fatigue' appears to be an issue as well.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I sat next to someone who'd set up a brand new, unused red range feeder rod once. First chuck it snapped clean in half...

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
It's happened to me twice - both complete mysteries, but at least both occurred on comparatively cheap (£50-ish) rods (MAP CFS Medium Waggler 13' and Shakespeare Mach 3 XT 13'). Combined with all the reports I've read about high-end models snapping under little or no pressure, I've lost confidence in modern, ultra-thin carbon float rods and now invariably use my bomb-proof hollow glass Hardy Matchmaker (made in 1972). I've never had a reel fall out of the sliding bands either, which is the reason often cited for insisting on screw reel fittings.

Richox12

Reaction score
......10 inches down the tip under virtually no pressure indicated that 'carbon fatigue' appears to be an issue as well.

Under 'virtually no pressure' ??? I would never swing a 5oz fish on a light float rod. It needs netting. If that fish is STILL and NOT moving about, NOT shaking its head etc and can be 'skimmed' across the top slowly then maybe I might risk lifting it. BUT, otherwise, with a fish shaking its head and the rod bouncing around (tight line, slack line, tight line, slack line etc etc) it's a net every time.

Put a 5oz lead on the rod (same or very similar) and swing it around. That is a LOT of pressure. And I doubt the top 10" is bending much and the pressure is further down the section.

Carbon Fatigue ?? On a rod just a few weeks old ? Very unlikely I would have said.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Under 'virtually no pressure' ??? I would never swing a 5oz fish on a light float rod. It needs netting. If that fish is STILL and NOT moving about, NOT shaking its head etc and can be 'skimmed' across the top slowly then maybe I might risk lifting it. BUT, otherwise, with a fish shaking its head and the rod bouncing around (tight line, slack line, tight line, slack line etc etc) it's a net every time.

Put a 5oz lead on the rod (same or very similar) and swing it around. That is a LOT of pressure. And I doubt the top 10" is bending much and the pressure is further down the section.

Carbon Fatigue ?? On a rod just a few weeks old ? Very unlikely I would have said.

Firstly, my friend is a very experienced angler of some 60 years. Secondly, you should have no problem swinging in a fish of less the 5oz even on an Ultra (I've done it many times myself). Thirdly, have you never heard of manufacturing faults - think where these rods are made. And finally, please explain how a rod tip could break 10 inches down at a point that was under very little pressure/stress and broke without a 'snap/crack' just with a silent whimper.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
so only naming the Drennans what about the other three ?.

Glad to. A Normark that I banged against a steel bridge, a Shakespeare that I tried to lift a ton boulder off the bottom of the Wye with ( not recommended) and a Harrison that was put away intact but was broken when next used. The rest were Drennans ( all float rods) and all of them failed catastrophically when under no real pressure.

My Acolyte is still intact...so far anyway though I guess this is tempting fate.

Keith M

Reaction score
As a few of you know a few months ago I had the tip section on my Ultra split and break suddenly about a third of the way down from the tip and this happened as I was threading some 3lb line through it’s rings.

Because I’d had it over a year Drennan refused to replace it and I had to buy a replacement tip for £60.

Yes it is possible that it could have been damaged by some unknown reason but I am very doubtful of this.

Keith

john step

Reaction score
As a few of you know a few months ago I had the tip section on my Ultra split and break suddenly about a third of the way down from the tip and this happened as I was threading some 3lb line through it’s rings.

Because I’d had it over a year Drennan refused to replace it and I had to buy a replacement tip for £60.

Yes it is possible that it could have been damaged by some unknown reason but I am very doubtful of this.

Keith

Keith, thats a bit of a relief for me actually. I recently bought a 14 Ultra float. Should I be unfortunate enough to have a breakage it wont need a new mortgage!!!

Molehill

Reaction score
Have to say that I have heard all this about rod breakages in top end rods 25 years ago. Nothing much changes.
When I was working in retail it involved top end fly rods costing many £100s, Loomis, Sage, Hardy, Scott and more, never the anglers fault. But knowing some of the anglers and watching them fish, first hand, it didn't take a genius to work out why the rods broke.

I'm not saying there are no manufacturing faults, nor some design faults, because there are. But if a rod is going to break under stress it will do so fairly soon, not wait a year after purchase.

Different action and angles give different stresses, as has been said above, a 5oz roach bouncing with the rod at a bad angle is way different from swinging in a static fish correctly.

For the record I have abused my acolyte no end swinging fish in. Thinking to myself afterwards " Don't be an idiot, net it". At some point I will break it, but not blame the rod.

shane99

Reaction score
Just need to say here that I recently broke the tip off my Darent Valley as per previous post, it was my fault entierely, just me being a clumsy old s@d

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Just need to say here that I recently broke the tip off my Darent Valley as per previous post, it was my fault entierely, just me being a clumsy old s@d

They are guaranteed for life. Give Tacklebox a ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lakhyaman

Reaction score

My fishing partner broke mine. They replaced it free of cost despite my making it clear that it was entirely our fault and that I would happily pay for a replacement. It's a great rod.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Richox12

Reaction score
They are guaranteed for life. Give Tacklebox a ring.

An UNCONDITIONAL & LIFETIME guarantee ? So no matter the cause of breakage you get a new section/rod regardless ?

What sort of business is that ??

Unless they are massively expensive and you have covered the cost of multiple replacements in the first place ?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
An UNCONDITIONAL & LIFETIME guarantee ? So no matter the cause of breakage you get a new section/rod regardless ?

What sort of business is that ??

Unless they are massively expensive and you have covered the cost of multiple replacements in the first place ?

Knowledge Base :: Customer Service :: Aftersales support - Knowledge base

If you have a problem give them a call. They fixed an out of manufacturers guarantee reel I bought from them FOC and repaired a rod tip from a rod I didn’t buy from them for a tenner. If the stuff you sell is good quality you shouldn’t have every customer coming back for free repairs. I have a few of their own brand products and have been totally satisfied with them and not broken one yet, lol. I don’t have any connection to the company other than as a satisfied customer.