Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Rod tip breakage

I witnessed one of these first hand yesterday whilst stream fishing with a friend. I had just taken a break from trotting and walked back upstream to where he was and he was in the process of swinging in a small roach (no more than 5oz). The tip snapped cleanly at approximately 10 inches from the top and is was quite weird watching it go. He's only had the rod a few weeks and (the short version) a replacement is in the post.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Default Re: Rod tip breakage

Is it an Acolyte?

No, I was using my 4 year old Acolyte Ultra which has stood up to everything thrown at it - he was using a Red Range 13' float rod for probably the 4th time.

Seeing the break first hand my guess would be a fault in the carbon creating a very weak spot at that point. There was no issue/problem with the supplier regarding immediate courier replacement.
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Drennan again eh ? The evidence is starting to look rather compelling.

It does look a bit like that Skip although I'm sure some are due to bad angling/clumsiness/whatever. Seeing this happen right in front of me at 10 inches down the tip under virtually no pressure indicated that 'carbon fatigue' appears to be an issue as well.

I sat next to someone who'd set up a brand new, unused red range feeder rod once. First chuck it snapped clean in half...

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

In 50 odd years I've had 6 rods ( that I can remember) break on me. Two of of them were my stupid fault, one was a complete mystery and the other 3 were Drennans....and not entry level Drennans either.

Just saying.

It's happened to me twice - both complete mysteries, but at least both occurred on comparatively cheap (£50-ish) rods (MAP CFS Medium Waggler 13' and Shakespeare Mach 3 XT 13'). Combined with all the reports I've read about high-end models snapping under little or no pressure, I've lost confidence in modern, ultra-thin carbon float rods and now invariably use my bomb-proof hollow glass Hardy Matchmaker (made in 1972). I've never had a reel fall out of the sliding bands either, which is the reason often cited for insisting on screw reel fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by barbelboi View Post
    ......10 inches down the tip under virtually no pressure indicated that 'carbon fatigue' appears to be an issue as well.
    Under 'virtually no pressure' ??? I would never swing a 5oz fish on a light float rod. It needs netting. If that fish is STILL and NOT moving about, NOT shaking its head etc and can be 'skimmed' across the top slowly then maybe I might risk lifting it. BUT, otherwise, with a fish shaking its head and the rod bouncing around (tight line, slack line, tight line, slack line etc etc) it's a net every time.

Put a 5oz lead on the rod (same or very similar) and swing it around. That is a LOT of pressure. And I doubt the top 10" is bending much and the pressure is further down the section.

Carbon Fatigue ?? On a rod just a few weeks old ? Very unlikely I would have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Richox12 View Post
    Under 'virtually no pressure' ??? I would never swing a 5oz fish on a light float rod. It needs netting. If that fish is STILL and NOT moving about, NOT shaking its head etc and can be 'skimmed' across the top slowly then maybe I might risk lifting it. BUT, otherwise, with a fish shaking its head and the rod bouncing around (tight line, slack line, tight line, slack line etc etc) it's a net every time.

Put a 5oz lead on the rod (same or very similar) and swing it around. That is a LOT of pressure. And I doubt the top 10" is bending much and the pressure is further down the section.

Carbon Fatigue ?? On a rod just a few weeks old ? Very unlikely I would have said.
    Firstly, my friend is a very experienced angler of some 60 years. Secondly, you should have no problem swinging in a fish of less the 5oz even on an Ultra (I've done it many times myself). Thirdly, have you never heard of manufacturing faults - think where these rods are made. And finally, please explain how a rod tip could break 10 inches down at a point that was under very little pressure/stress and broke without a 'snap/crack' just with a silent whimper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast