Coarse fishing in Brittany

JohnClarke

Reaction score
I'm planning a fishing trip to Brittany, mainly to fish the River Blavet. Does anyone have experience of this region?

Philip

Reaction score
In terms of rivers many of the rivers in Brittany are considered category 1 which is trout/salmon. The Blavet does have coarse fish , the usual species. On the faster streaches a trotting / roving approach should work well. On the slower parts you can sit and build a swim. I think it was known for its Bream in the past.

JohnClarke

Reaction score
Thanks, Philip
I'm mainly thinking of fishing the Blavet for the roach and bream, but I am also interested in the Category 1 rivers. I suppose in the back of my mind are rivers like the Hampshire Avon in the days when it was a roach mecca. I assume you are allowed to fish them for coarse fish. Does anyone know if any of them are good for roach?

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Thanks, Philip
I'm mainly thinking of fishing the Blavet for the roach and bream, but I am also interested in the Category 1 rivers. I suppose in the back of my mind are rivers like the Hampshire Avon in the days when it was a roach mecca. I assume you are allowed to fish them for coarse fish. Does anyone know if any of them are good for roach?

I've fished Cat 1 waters in Normandy where everything but fly fishing is banned, I've fished Cat 1 waters where anything goes but bait. TBH it's a bit of a minefield and worth checking the rules of the water you're fishing because they can alter from one section to the other.

As an example of odd rules, I've fished a section of the L'iton in Normandy where one club has the right bank and another club as the left bank, on the left bank you can use worms where as on the right bank it's barbless fly only

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Hi JC,
I was grown in Brittany, in the Concarneau region, the Blavet is known but other rivers are potentially more reliable in terms of results.
Both North and South Brittany are fantastic fishing areas. Many, many trout (and salmon) rivers. However, you might also be interested in estuaries, lakes, larger rivers for coarse species and "mix" species such as seabass and mullet (for example around Quimper).
Two rivers I'd definitely recommend are:
- River Aven
- River Ster-Goz, I fished this little paradise in 2007 (some pics here)
The Ster-Goz runs over 80 kms and actually is many little streams. Clear water, difficult to fish.
One particular of the region is the light. The quality of it makes you feel special.
Very close you could have a go at Pont-Aven.
In order to fish most rivers, the Finistère license is enough. You can get it online.