Hooklength size

Reaction score
Right,Daniel,having shot along a longish hook length seems iffy to me,firstly it weakens the lighter line,secondly you have no definite datum to return to and as shotting can be so critical that is important,likewise in trotter2's case imo 6" is too close to put a shot for trotting( again imo),so then tell tale shot would have to be at least 2" ,maybe 12" higher, again leaving no definite datum/return to point,something I swear by,dust shot move easily,incredible how many ways we can do the self same thing,lol....

As an aside I use shot/stotz down to number 12's regularly...

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
Right,Daniel,having shot along a longish hook length seems iffy to me,firstly it weakens the lighter line,secondly you have no definite datum to return to and as shotting can be so critical that is important,likewise in trotter2's case imo 6" is too close to put a shot for trotting( again imo),so then tell tale shot would have to be at least 2" ,maybe 12" higher, again leaving no definite datum/return to point,something I swear by,dust shot move easily,incredible how many ways we can do the self same thing,lol....

What makes you think my dropper shot will be at 6 inches?
You don't have to have your first shot directly about the knot it can be anywhere just because someone uses a 6 inch hook lengh does not automatically mean the shot will go directly about the knot. To give you more permutations on presentation you move it about. if you use a 12 or 18 inch hook lenght and your first shot goes about the knot there will be times when thats to far away to regester fast bites ,if you put the shot on the hook lengh it can weaken the delicate hook lenght.Hence the reason I mostly use shorter hooklenghts. Everyone will have diffrent ideas on which way is right and that's perfectly fine imo.

trotter2

Reaction score

This probably explains it better
YouTube

daniel121

Reaction score

Well mate first things first, I only don't use less smaller shots because of the use of them, it's because of my inability to see them! I'd love to use them, but age mate it takes it toll on you :)

All I will say is that I have used longhook lenghts of up to 4 ft long believe it or not!, I have used these length with a small shot spread out and a four turn water knot for years. I can honestly I assure you that I have never had any problem with damaging the line that I'm using. The benefits that I have from doing this is I can move my shots around at whim. I can put a tell tale shot low if I need too and I can put it back if I need too also. The problem of having a low knot is this changes what I can do, also ugly loop to loop knots I think changes the characteristics of the Rig

Reaction score
What makes you think my dropper shot will be at 6 inches?
You don't have to have your first shot directly about the knot it can be anywhere just because someone uses a 6 inch hook lengh does not automatically mean theot will go directly about the knot. To give you more permutations on presentation you move it about. if you use a 12 or 18 inch hook lenght and your first shot goes about the knot there will be times when thats to far away to regester fast bites ,if you put the shot on the hook lengh it can weaken the delicate hook lenght.Hence the reason I mostly use shorter hooklenghts. Everyone will have diffrent ideas on which way is right and that's perfectly fine imo.

Hi mate,I understand perfectly the mechanics of the shotting,on the video(don't know how many times I've watched it,lol)it's mentioned how shot are put within six inches when they're really having it,I've found ten or twelve inches on stick float,fifteen to eighteen inches in wagglers is a good length as a norm,as I say I personally much prefer my last dropper at the end of the hook length,it gives me a fixed point to work from,I will however move shot higher to see if the catch rate imroves,likewise I will try shorter hook lengths if necessary,small shot moves,especially when catching,but it can't slide below a knot affecting presentation,as you say we all do things differently...

Keith M

Reaction score
When I’m waggler fishing on a Stillwater or I’m trotting on moving water I prefer my hooklengths to be quite long, and I nearly always have a dust shot or two on my hooklength when float fishing, and I very rarely; if at all; get my hooklength parting at a shot because I don’t pinch them on too tightly.

I need to have a small telltale shot which I can move closer or further from my hook to cope with the different types of bite that I get and this can be anything from 2” up to around 8” depending on the bites that I am getting.

Keith

theartist

Reaction score
I tie my hooklengths longish - around 12-14inch i guess, but buy a pack of pre tied as back up just for when I've forgot to tie enough, finally used them recently and was surprised how short they are now. They never used to be this short, maybe a Wagon Wheel thing going on with costings perhaps? Either way I didn't like them much that short but don't think it's a major issue regarding catch rates.

daniel121

Reaction score
When I’m waggler fishing on a Stillwater or I’m trotting on moving water I prefer my hooklengths to be quite long, and I nearly always have a dust shot or two on my hooklength when float fishing, and I very rarely; if at all; get my hooklength parting at a shot because I don’t pinch them on too tightly.

I need to have a small telltale shot which I can move closer or further from my hook to cope with the different types of bite that I get and this can be anything from 2” up to around 8” depending on the bites that I am getting.

Keith

I agree with you 100%. The ability to move the last two droppers can make huge differences in presentation and therefore your day