Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hooklength size

Default Hooklength size

I know nowadays the modern way of fishing and has been for some time is so use a really short uniform hook link, Even when match carp fishing. As opposed to going straight through or using a long hooklink

I know the score, people say the benefits are;

1) Speed when changing hook with the aid of hook length boxes.

2) Making them uniform length you can keep for rig exactly the same important when using a short length of line between the float and pole tip in the event of a breakage.

3) Not weakening the hook length with shot/style

4) You can make up several rigs one gauge of line, and change your hooklinks to make different rigs

I get it and in man made carp waters especially when hair rigging I do no different. However (you knew it was coming) I think when fishing clear rivers on the stick or waggle, I personally use up to 3 foot at times, I am more than happy to put shot on my hook link and this has never caused me no problem ever on modern lines.

The benefits? Well I think the extra length of line lighter line aids my bait presentation, the extra flex enables me to get those slight better roach sitting above the smaller ones. Not one of the so called benfits of short hooklinks mentioned above would apply in a Stick/waggler running line situation bar maybe number 1?

My question is more in fun really as everybody I talk to tell’s me I’m doing it wrong. I don't really care about that, I'm way too old in the tooth to worry about that but out of interest does anybody agree with me?
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Default Re: Hooklength size

Many river anglers still do stick to long hooklinks when float fishing. I'd go so far as to suggest that the bulk of the few I still see do exactly that. I find it a little difficult to believe that many river regulars would suggest otherwise.

However, I consider myself well out of step with the majority of regular river float anglers in that I do use short hooklinks. I started experimenting with them several years ago knowing full well that it went against percieved wisdom. I actually started doing it in the expectation of it adversely affecting my catch rate. Thankfully, though it's nigh on impossible to prove it, I don't believe it has. If my perception had been otherwise, I'd still be using hooklinks of twelve inches or more.

All I've really done is substituted the last dropper shot with a quick change micro swivel. It does mean that I've sacrificed the ability to quickly move the last dropper to alter the rig characteristics, but I can easily tie a longer or shorter, hooklink if I deem it necessary. The reality is that I'm invariably using five or six inch hooklinks and rarely anything else. The added bonus is that I'm suffering from far fewer twisted hooklinks than I used to. I suspect that, if I were fishing deeper rivers, my go to length would be n inch or two longer.

This way of rigging a float has been successful enough that I've since taken to using it for every aspect of my float fishing. I'm not advocating that anyone follows suit, or that it's the "best" way, but I'm quite content that it works for me.

Blog Entries

Whenever I’m float fishing (not with a pole) I much prefer to use a longer hooklength, mainly because it adds a bit of stretch on the strike, and will allow me to use finer hooklengths without too many fears of breaks even if I struck a little too heavily.

If I were to change my habits and start to fish commies full of Carp with stronger hooklengths then I might change my mind.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 28-08-2019 at 16:09.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

That's me, too, Keith. Short hooklengths of modern line on the pole where the elastic provides....elasticity. And longer ones on rod and line, where I tend to go for old-style stretchier hooklength line, like Bayer/Kamasan in 1.7 etc. I don't worry about putting shot on - it's always in lead-legal sizes and I've never had line break at a shot.

Guilty as charged Chris - longer hook lengths for me too with most of my fishing on flowing water...............
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

On the method a short hook link other than that it’s straight out of the ready tied packet and onto the line.
    That’s unless I tie the hook onto the main line therefore no hook link at all.
    It hasn't stopped me catching, I might catch a few more if I did use different hook links but I have caught enough not to think it really matters.

I am similar to most others. It being 3 inch for the method, 6 inch for the pole, 12 inch for the float on running water and anything up to 3 ft for the feeder. As a point of interest, when I was tying hooks for the trade the general spec was for an 18 inch looped hook length. Pete.
    Casternets

Blog Entries

I'm afraid,I tie hook lengths on the bank and I will not have shot on them,so,length is dependant on how I'm fishing,when waggler fishing I tend to use 15-18" lengths, when stick float fishing around 12",but this is only on average,as altering these lengths alters,or helps alter presentation...
    Last edited by whitty; 29-08-2019 at 07:24.

I tie 90% of my own hook lengths, 3” for the method, 4-5” for most of my other feeder leger work, 6” for my float. I do think sometimes I should go longer on the float but my hook length storage box does not accommodate longer, so for now 6” is the longest I tie.

I tie my own hook lengths and long ago settled on 6" for pole fishing and 22" for rod and line. I only ever put legal lead shot on the hook length and rarely have anything closer than about 12" on rod and line, certainly no swivels!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast