RIVER ITCHEN FREE STRETCH

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
One of my favourite winter venues is the day ticket Lower Itchen Fishery upstream of Gator's Mill at Swaythling, Southampton. With the icy weather knocking the stillwaters out of sorts, I found that the Lower Itchen Fishery was fully booked for last Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I had a spare day on Friday so decided to give the free stretch below Gator's Mill a quick bash. The water was flowing well, a bit up on normal summer leveland slightly coloured with some weed and plant debris causing the odd problem but nothing serious.

Trotting double red or white maggots (3 swan drennan loafer) I had a few small roach and grayling with a bonus sea trout of a couple of pounds. Switching to an open ended running feeder with liquidised bread and a small pinch of flake on a size 14 I had three 'soldier' chub of 1 - 2lbs. You will currently need a 28 gram (1oz) feeder and a 2oz tc quiver tip. I did hook something that took an instant dislike to being tethered and trashed my 3lb hooklink. There are stories of barbel in this stretch (I have heard but not seen), but whilst it could have been a whisker I suspect the culprit was a cheesed off sea trout (you are not allowed to keep them or the brown trout by the way).

If you live local and your pond or lake is frozen up, give this stretch a go. It runs from Gators Mill, past the White Swan Pub to the road bridge at Mansbridge and then downstream to Woodmill. There is ample parking and you can fish from the pathway. The dog walkers are used to anglers and the joggers more interested in avoiding the incomming coronary.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Hi Phil

Is the free stretch only open during the game closed season. As i do visit a friend down that way occasionally.

Could you put a link up to its location as i do not know all the little villages.

Thanks

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Bryan, it's open for the duration of the normal coarse fishing season. The Lower Itchen Fishery private stretch just upstream is primarily a game fishery but open for coarse fishing during the game fish close season.

The link www.itchen-fishing.net will give directions to Gator's Mill. The free stretch is just below it. If you are travelling from the west, you will see the White Swan pub on the left immediately before Gators - park up here. If you are travelling from the east (Portsmouth/Fareham side) the pub is on the right just after Gators. There is a further large car park downstream near Woodmill if you fancy this area.

There is no concensus about which is the best area as the fish tend to move about a bit and it depends on what type of fishing you wish to do - float or feeder. The downstream (below the pub and the road bridge) certainly has some nice glides for trotting for roach and grayling. There are a lot of sea trout running about at the moment and, if you have never caught one, be prepared for some acrobatics if you do hook one!! Good luck.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Thanks for that mate.

Hope to get down sometime this year to my mates in Blackfield nr Southampton. Good to get on the river. Usually fish at the Royalty while there.

Had a few Sea Trout both on fly and float.

Once again thanks for the info.

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Bryan,

We have an annual Itchen day in case you missed it look here, which is the The Lower Itchen Fishery private stretch, which Phil mentioned.

Ok it's not a free stretch but a great FM fish-in, which Nigel has been so kind to organize in the last couple of Years. All the places for Feb are taken though/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif so you going to miss out on this Years fun I'm afraid.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Claudia

Always been envious of you lot down there with the Grayling days you have.

But with the price of fuel the last few years its a long slog for a days fishing. Same reason i have not done Gold Valley last year.

But i will make it one day.

Hope you had a good new year

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I see where you coming from Bryan, it's a heck of a drive from 'uuuuuuup north'.....maybe one day I will be able to drive up your end, as I would love to fish the ribble

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I should be able to take you out next year as i am joinning one of the best clubs on the riblle with guest tickets.