Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Size of Bait for Roach??

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post

The Artist, while I don't doubt your findings for a second I can't say that I have found the same. My best roach catches have been mainly on dull days, early or late or after dark. Water clarity, or lack of it, certainly helps roach to feed freely with (for some unknown reason) hemp being the exception to sometimes work well in gin clear water?!

I certainly wish I could catch more roach in clear, bright conditions I am doing something wrong!?
    I think everyone's doing something wrong, myself included it's not fishing if we aint.

My findings are based only on rivers but I can go further than my narcasistic photo album to a lot of fish watching over recent years, which has revealed the large roaches penchant for feeding in bright sun and clear water when everything else is really cagey. I would agree that they are contrary to popular opinion but that suits me fine

That's not to say they are going to be easy, but they do like the sun, I go for them in such conditions as I know the barbel and chub will be less inclined.

You refer to crayfish in an earlier post so that you are fishing on the bottom? All my fishing is up in the water albeit rivers but whilst they feed on all layers they really are masters of the mid water levels especially in summer. The old adage that a tint of colour must have some theory but I can only go on what I've found from my catches, I'm happy to buck any trend if it gets me results and also I hate 'set in stone' theories even if they have come from better anglers than myself - which isn't hard lol

Despite this I've caught much more big roach on sunny days than I could have ever dreamed of so it's all good

What i'm trying to say is don't let that hard water or bright conditions get the better of you

Its true they can come at any time but given the choice I would still be more confident fishing for them as the light starts to fade at the end of the day.

Something I have noticed allot, and I am talking about rivers here, is that as the lights comes off the water the Roach can suddenly switch on. For example as the sun dips below far bank trees and so on. Its happened far too often to be coincidental.

What intrigues me however is that on full darkness the Roach often switch off just as suddenly. I have never quite worked that one out..

If I was going to fish for them in bright light, clear conditions then I would probably opt for a mid water approach. A flow of regular feed flying past their noses in clear water would be too hard for them to refuse in the end and they could slip up to a trotted bait.
    Last edited by Philip; 04-09-2019 at 19:08.

Quote Originally Posted by theartist View Post
    Despite this I've caught much more big roach on sunny days than I could have ever dreamed of so it's all good
    Me too. If I'm stalking fish in a clear river/stream (and as I only tend to fish during mid morning - mid pm these days - let's face it the fish are there 24 hrs a day you just have to adapt to the different locations) and they are proving finicky I tend to creep back upstream for about 10yds and stir the bottom with the end of the landing net. Once the 'clouded' water reaches where they are it can quite often mean a/some takes that wouldn't have happened otherwise.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Again many thanks for your advice - all good stuff! I have picked up on your references to "mid-water feeding", this is something that I should try more often - nearly always I fish with the bait on the deck! When fishing lakes mid-water what baits do you use (can I ask?) and do you feed or is there just the hookbait? My results when doing this are for smaller roach - maybe I should be more patient with this method - never too old to learn!!!

Again many thanks for your advice - all good stuff! I have picked up on your references to "mid-water feeding", this is something that I should try more often - nearly always I fish with the bait on the deck! When fishing lakes mid-water what baits do you use (can I ask?) and do you feed or is there just the hookbait? My results when doing this are for smaller roach - maybe I should be more patient with this method - never too old to learn!!!
    I rarely fish big lakes (Which everyone will see at the fish in) but if you are going to fish midwater you will need to feed and feed very often, regularly. I cant imagine many self respecting roach just taking a lone bait midwater like carp do with zig rigs but they may do when competing for feed with others.

On ponds, canals and rivers fishing on the drop works for me. I think there's a paranoia when feeding a lot of bait that it can end up piling up on the bottom but if anything it just leads fish like roach to compete in the upper layers. It works with other fish too as the bait landing draws fish to attack it. You know your getting it right when you start getting big swirls on the surface. This can take ages to happen and doesn't work in winter but in summer it's amazing how shallow everything is, even barbel,bream and tench

I'm not sure I would be comfortable doing this at the range that may be needed on a large lake or pit so maybe it's best to stick to bottom baits but it's worth trying if you can get them close in, on the drop a rod length out although you may have to get through the small bits depending on the bait used, be worth trying for a few hours fun you can always fish over that feed later in the evening as per usual if any is left.

The artist, thanks for your reply. The pits I usually fish for roach are too lightly stocked to get the roach to compete for bait. Also they are only very lightly fished so the roach are not educated to 'bait'. Even with maggots or worms the fishing is slow and the roach are mainly small with only the rare big roach being caught. If I try a bigger bait to avoid the small ones the fishing is not slow it's stationary! Larger baits which I use elsewhere are just not recognised as bait. There must be an answer but I can't find it?

The artist, thanks for your reply. The pits I usually fish for roach are too lightly stocked to get the roach to compete for bait. Also they are only very lightly fished so the roach are not educated to 'bait'. Even with maggots or worms the fishing is slow and the roach are mainly small with only the rare big roach being caught. If I try a bigger bait to avoid the small ones the fishing is not slow it's stationary! Larger baits which I use elsewhere are just not recognised as bait. There must be an answer but I can't find it?
    Keep trying it sounds like your having fun working things out, sometimes you can just crack a water by sheer persistence or going for a fun session and getting 'lucky' Big roach are like that in that they can turn up anytime anywhere.

Sounds like a hard water, pellet probably don't work there if they don't see any but bread maybe? But I'm guessing the crayfish will be all over that on the deck knowing them.

Maybe maggots and just see how many small fish you can get in a day and seeing if the bigger roach show eventually.

Failing that find out if/how others are catching them and copy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12