New to fishing with kids

nbuuifx

Reaction score
I used to go fishing as a kid but can't really remember anything from it. My kids decided they wanted to have a go so we signed them up for some coaching sessions over the holiday. I hung around and picked up as much as I could, the coaches were great and gave me lots of tips do I can help my kids.

We've since been out and bought the kit that they recommended and we've been fairly successful fishing in the canal.

I now have a few questions but it would probably be worth telling you what we have bought first.

We got 2 elasticated whips. They are 4m but we've been using them at 3m at the moment.

I got some bits to make up rigs. I'm using 2lb main line and hook lengths with 1lb line and 22 sized hooks. I got the set of stotz with the different sizes.

I've made up 2 rigs for both of my kids. One has a 0.2g Carp 4 float, the other has a 0.6g crystal waggler. My son is younger and was shown to fish slightly different so I have followed that so his rigs I've made shorter. My daughter was shown to fish to hand so her rigs I've made just a bit shorter than the whip.

I also got a landing net, folding stools, ringers loop tying thing, plummet, and degorgers.

My first question is about the hook lengths. The coaches kindly showed me how to attach them properly by placing the hoop over the main line hoop, then passing the hook through the main line hoop and pulling. This has worked perfectly. However how do I undo them again? We've had a couple snap with big roach and it takes me an age with a pin to undo them. Is there a better way?!

Floats - the kids have shown a preference towards the crystal waggler floats. However the coaches had said you want as light as possible as it will react faster. Are the 0.6g ok? They were the lightest in the shop and I only bought them to try as the guy in the shop swore by them and said they were the best thing he used in the canal.

Thanks

rich66

Reaction score
Hi if I have a snapped hook length I generally cut/bite the old hook length loop just behind the knot and the pull one of the loose ends I usually find they pull out leaving your mainline loop ready for a new hook length.

Another Dave

Reaction score
To be honest the tackle you've listed all sounds ideal.

You can always forget the loop-to-loop, just snip the loop off the hooklength and tie it to your mainline with a water knot.

bracket

Reaction score
I agree with Dave. The gear you have sounds ideal for kids, as it is not complicated and is easy to use. I have a couple of observations you might like to consider.
1. Hooks. The size 22s you are using will be OK for the maggot, which a is highly successful bait for the stamp of fish you are after. For equally useful baits, such is sweetcorn, soft pellet and meat, size 16 and upward would be more suitable.
2. Hook lengths. The loop to loop attachment you were shown is an easy and secure way to connect hook length to main line. A six inch looped hook length is pretty much the standard set up. It is common practice to change hook lengths regularly and and this is best done by cutting the loop on the hook length and thereby preserving the main line (rig) length. You really have no need to attempt to remove a hook length intact, you will most likely crimp the line anyway. If the hook looks OK, then leave it on the rig winder for next time, or, preferably, replace it for the next time round.
There is nothing more satisfying than teaching kids to fish. My four Grandsons all fish, having been thoroughly brainwashed by their forceful old git of a Grandad. They all still fish today, even after the discovery of Girls and Motorbikes, so somethings stuck. Pete

daniel121

Reaction score
With a loop to loop knot you simply cannot undo it mate without cutting the line, you could try using swivel which would double up as your bottom shot. If you this you can undo the and re-use your hooklink.

I used to do this in fast rivers to reduce line twist, well I experimented with it.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Never put the hook through its own loop, otherwise you will end up with what is called a strangulated knot, and will be impossible to undo, Put through mainline loop and with a bit of practise both loops when held at knot end of loop should push together and facilitate removal without cutting hooklength loop.

Last edited:

nbuuifx

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, cutting it makes sense!

@bracket - you say you can keep the hook if it looks ok - how do you know? Are you looking at the line or the hook itself?

My son is still on the original hook that I put on, he's had a few big fish (probably not that big but big enough to need the landing net!). My daughter is on her third hook, having snapped two with fish that were far too big and not being able to get the landing net under in time.

Is there anything to do to discourage the larger fish or do you just take it as part of the sport? The kids get a little panicked when the elastic shoots out the end of the whip and you can see a big fish pulling it away - although it does add to the excitement. They've done a good job of holding on so far whilst shouting at me to get the landing net!

I'll try the larger hooks with the other baits.

So far they have only fished on the canals, but we joined a local angling society which has a pool just up the road. Is the technique the same or should we do anything different in a relatively small pool?

John Keane

Reaction score
Never put the hook through its own loop, otherwise you will end up with what is called a strangulated knot, and will be impossible to undo, Put through mainline loop and with a bit of practise both loops when held at knot end of loop should push together and facilitate removal without cutting hooklength loop.

If you tie on with a strangulation Loop you can straighten the loop out and it becomes a proper loop - try it. Most loops of finer line won’t push apart easily after you’ve had a few feisty fish on.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you don’t want to faff around with loops (like me), these are just the job.

John Keane

Reaction score
If you don’t want to faff around with loops (like me), these are just the job.

I use those now for all my feeder, bomb, legering fishing. They are good and much better than the Guru Speed Beads where hooklengths sometimes mysteriously detach themselves.

bracket

Reaction score
@bracket - you say you can keep the hook if it looks ok - how do you know? Are you looking at the line or the hook itself

Both really. If the line is not knotted or kinked, it will be OK. Hooks that have only take a few fish will be useable. The true test for small hooks, like the 22s you use, is to be able to nick a maggot on without bursting it. If you can't do that the hook is blunt, regardless of how well it sticks into you finger. Pete

nbuuifx

Reaction score
Both really. If the line is not knotted or kinked, it will be OK. Hooks that have only take a few fish will be useable. The true test for small hooks, like the 22s you use, is to be able to nick a maggot on without bursting it. If you can't do that the hook is blunt, regardless of how well it sticks into you finger. Pete

Ah, makes sense, they must have been getting a bit blunt as the maggots were bursting on them towards the end of the last session (we went over three days - so I thought the maggots were just getting old by the third day!) They still seemed to work - is it less desirable for the maggot to burst?

Another Dave

Reaction score
If the hook bursts the maggot it means it's not as sharp as it should be. This means you won't hit as many bites as you start to "bump fish off", in the angling parlance.