Float length

nbuuifx

Reaction score
Probably a simple question / answer but I'm struggling to find a definite answer.

My kids are just fishing in the canal at the moment.

How do I know what size float to buy? I've got some crystal wagglers that are 0.6g. Are these about right? What benefit or detriment would using a longer crystal waggler be? Some of them seem really long, and I think there is one shorter than we have. Would a shorter one be better?

Are any other types of floats suitable to try? I don't mind making up some different rigs to try. The original rigs came with some floats which were a thin rod with a bulge in it, held on to the line with a few rubber tubes. They just said "Carp 4 0.2g" and "Carp 5 0.25g". The kids have preferred the crystal wagglers as they stand up better, the others sometimes lay on their side and needed a little flick of the line to break the surface tension and stand up. I prefer the wagglers as they are easier for me to adjust.

john step

Reaction score
I am old school in that I dont know what a gramm is. I still go by the shot loading. Ie 3AA or 2BB which are the numbers on the shot you buy.

What I do know that if it takes a flick to make it cock you need more weight around the base if the float. Thats the place for shot for a canal waggler. For kids leave a quarter inch above the surface.
Put a small shot low down just above the hooklink to start with a simple start.
The float needs to be heavy enough to cast to where you want it to be without that sound of swishing air caused by a too light float and the rod flailing the air.

Another Dave

Reaction score
I am old school in that I dont know what a gramm is. I still go by the shot loading. Ie 3AA or 2BB which are the numbers on the shot you buy.

What I do know that if it takes a flick to make it cock you need more weight around the base if the float. Thats the place for shot for a canal waggler. For kids leave a quarter inch above the surface.
Put a small shot low down just above the hooklink to start with a simple start.
The float needs to be heavy enough to cast to where you want it to be without that sound of swishing air caused by a too light float and the rod flailing the air.

1 gram is an AAA + a no.4

trotter2

Reaction score
Longer floats are usually made to cast longer distances ,because there longer they will take more split shot .
The other advantages of a longer float is it buries the line deeper so if its really windy your line should be deep under the surface well out of the way from wind.
This is just a rough answer there is always a few exceptions to the rules but hope that helps

Reaction score
Canals in general are two to six feet deep(unless your fishing the Gloucester canal or similar),now if your fishing two feet deep a long float is a no,no,floats of four or five inches long maximum,thinnish tips 3mm or less are the norm and as most canals are 14m or less a loading of 2/3bb is adequate,however if you were fishing the boat channel in four to six feet of water an eight inch float is not an issue,taking say 2aa,horses for courses is the rule imo.

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
The floats you have that are 0.2 and 0.25g sound like pole floats and are not really suitable for fishing with rod and reel if that’s what you’re doing? If yes the wagglers are better for this.

The size you have sounds okay, as said above a heavier (longer) float will cast further but on most canals you don’t need to cast very far.

Let us know what your whole set up is as I’m sure the guys here may be able to give you a few more tips to help you catch.

nbuuifx

Reaction score
The floats you have that are 0.2 and 0.25g sound like pole floats and are not really suitable for fishing with rod and reel if that’s what you’re doing? If yes the wagglers are better for this.

The size you have sounds okay, as said above a heavier (longer) float will cast further but on most canals you don’t need to cast very far.

Let us know what your whole set up is as I’m sure the guys here may be able to give you a few more tips to help you catch.

Sorry, 4m (but only using 3m) elasticated whip. Very basic beginner setup for kids. Thanks

Another Dave

Reaction score
As a general rule of thumb, the less stuff on the line the better, so I'll use the smallest float i can get away with.

If it's windy you might need a bigger float to keep the bait still, if you're fishing further out you might need one that's easier to see. If you're using a big bait (my mate has stared using huge raw prawns) you need a bigger float to support it. If a small float won't cast where you want it to go you need to go larger.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
No need to apologise as we’re happy to help!

The 2 smaller floats are probably too light light for fishing a whip as you need a bit of weight to control the float.

Many years since I whip fished but we used to make mini wagglers from a piece of peacock quill and a cocktail stick!

You won’t need a bigger float on that set up, it’ll be fine.

nbuuifx

Reaction score
Thanks, the kids have preferred the wagglers.

I'm hoping to make up a few more rigs, partly so we have spares for if they tangle or break and partly to try slightly different floats etc.

Have you got any recommendations on what to buy to try?

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Remember the old adage floats are made to catch anglers not fish.

For a canal whip set up I’d be looking for wagglers with a very fine tip, or a pole float. You don’t need anything bigger or longer than the ones you have.

This video may be helpful:-

YouTube

theartist

Reaction score
Get silicon adapters for your wagglers, if you find the one you're using one too small/big then changing to another will take a few seconds.

Same with pole floats attach them top and bottom with float rubbers so changing the float is dead easy

Keith M

Reaction score
Here are a few of the very small wagglers that I use with my whips:

I’ve also occasionally used one of the smaller Drennan Glo Tip Antenna wagglers and one of my old Drennan Canal Grey wagglers which both worked ok with a whip.

Keith

Last edited: