Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: First time out....

I don't think you need to get too disheartened. I fished The Soar at Kegworth on Saturday, so not a million miles from where you must have been. The fishing was slow for me too (I had three fish in about 5 hours and two of those were jacks of no more than 1 lb). I put it down to the very bright conditions and, as someone else has said, it can just be slow some days.

I do recommend that you get a few more lures. Apart from anything else the ability to fish up in the water and at different depths is a real boon at this time of year when weed is pretty widespread and can come close to the surface. I caught two of my three on Savage Gear 4-Play lures (the slow-sinking ones without a lip); the better one went for the pike pattern. The other one was on a size 4 Mepps, which I always like to use because they will catch perch nicely too.

Hang in there!

I get that you're into lure fishing. But why not consider trying a simple rig eg a light link leger with a couple of shot just to see if you can get bites on bait? Worm or maggot will tell you if there are perch around; bread will catch chub. If you catch or get bites, you'd get a sense of what fish if any are in the lengths you're trying to catch from, which would feed into your confidence to lure fish. If you can't get bites on such baits, it would at least tell you something.

Agree with Nottskev. The wreake basically means chub, which will fall to a link ledger approach-breadflake or chessepaste is as avantgarde as you need to get baitwise and putting the bait in features (weedrafts, tight up against reed beds, overhanging trees etc. ) should get results-if nothing shows after 20 minutes, move on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12