carboot find!

joeH

Reaction score
Hi,
About two months ago I bought a Shimano x-carp 311 rod from a carboot. I was quite surprised as I paid £8 for it, yet I wasnt clear of its worth. It felt like I really higher class, and handled a 20lb carp like a dream. Funny enough I was at chiswick auctions about 3 weeks after me purchasing and it went under the hammer for a whopping £140! How about that. I took it in to the local tackle shop to repair one of the eyes, and infact he offered me £230 for the rod, ironically after he fixed the rod. Apparently its a rare rod by Shimano, made in the early 90s, and was one of their finest quality rods.
Does anyone else have any experiences with this rod.
I have found one similar on eBay for you guys to look at.
Shimano X-carp 311 vintage | eBay
I would buy it if I had enough in my pocket!
Cheers guys.

mikench

Reaction score
Well done to you. I wouldn't touch thst particular one with a carp rod er sorry a barge pole.:rolleyes:

mikench

Reaction score
It's a carp rod and slightly modified at that. If you want it go right ahead and I hope you will be very happy with it.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I don't know about your rod, or indeed carp rods or barge poles, but the graphics and X weave put it in a late 1980's series that includes this Triple X float rod that I've been hoarding unused for decades

I'm not surprised you like the rod; Shimano produced some unsurpassed classics in their early years in the UK market, and the X series rods were very highly regarded. The buy it now price looks a bit optimistic for a modified rod, though, and nobody has run off with it so far. Great carboot find!

Reaction score
Lovely rod in that photo Kev,a great rod for diameter and weight,well before it's time imo.

Last edited:

joeH

Reaction score
I don't know about your rod, or indeed carp rods or barge poles, but the graphics and X weave put it in a late 1980's series that includes this Triple X float rod that I've been hoarding unused for decades

I'm not surprised you like the rod; Shimano produced some unsurpassed classics in their early years in the UK market, and the X series rods were very highly regarded. The buy it now price looks a bit optimistic for a modified rod, though, and nobody has run off with it so far. Great carboot find!
Nice rod. But I dont think the one listed is modified? some of them came with a line snatch? Also I would love to buy it again but dont have enough spare money. I would suggest one of you lot snatching it up as it already has recieved alot of interest.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
That is indeed a lovely rod Kev and it feels so light and capable in the hand. You must put it to good use.

Peterock

Reaction score
I have 2 of these (that I still use weekly) I bought them from John Wilson tackle shop in Norwich in April 1990. Love or hate the guy, as a young 15 year old angler he did me a huge favour that I will never forget.
I went into his shop in Feb 1990 to look at all the stuff I couldn't afford, he asked if he could help me and I asked if he had any silstar carp rods, he had sold out, he did however have 2 of the above rods at £120 each, but would let me have them for £120 for the pair.
I thanked him and said I would love to have them, however didn't have any money until my birthday. He asked me when that was. 14 April. He said he would keep them for me until 15 April. I went back on 14 April and true to his word he had kept them for me, I still have them 30 years later.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have 2 of these (that I still use weekly) I bought them from John Wilson tackle shop in Norwich in April 1990. Love or hate the guy, as a young 15 year old angler he did me a huge favour that I will never forget.
I went into his shop in Feb 1990 to look at all the stuff I couldn't afford, he asked if he could help me and I asked if he had any silstar carp rods, he had sold out, he did however have 2 of the above rods at £120 each, but would let me have them for £120 for the pair.
I thanked him and said I would love to have them, however didn't have any money until my birthday. He asked me when that was. 14 April. He said he would keep them for me until 15 April. I went back on 14 April and true to his word he had kept them for me, I still have them 30 years later.
What a nice bloke.