Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: carboot find!

Cool carboot find!

Hi,
    About two months ago I bought a Shimano x-carp 311 rod from a carboot. I was quite surprised as I paid £8 for it, yet I wasnt clear of its worth. It felt like I really higher class, and handled a 20lb carp like a dream. Funny enough I was at chiswick auctions about 3 weeks after me purchasing and it went under the hammer for a whopping £140! How about that. I took it in to the local tackle shop to repair one of the eyes, and infact he offered me £230 for the rod, ironically after he fixed the rod. Apparently its a rare rod by Shimano, made in the early 90s, and was one of their finest quality rods.
    Does anyone else have any experiences with this rod.
    I have found one similar on eBay for you guys to look at.
    Shimano X-carp 311 vintage | eBay
    I would buy it if I had enough in my pocket!
    Cheers guys.

Default Re: carboot find!

Well done to you. I wouldn't touch thst particular one with a carp rod er sorry a barge pole.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Well done to you. I wouldn't touch thst particular one with a carp rod er sorry a barge pole.
    Is it too lower class for you?

It's a carp rod and slightly modified at that. If you want it go right ahead and I hope you will be very happy with it.
    Last edited by mikench; 10-09-2019 at 05:34.

I don't know about your rod, or indeed carp rods or barge poles, but the graphics and X weave put it in a late 1980's series that includes this Triple X float rod that I've been hoarding unused for decades

I'm not surprised you like the rod; Shimano produced some unsurpassed classics in their early years in the UK market, and the X series rods were very highly regarded. The buy it now price looks a bit optimistic for a modified rod, though, and nobody has run off with it so far. Great carboot find!

Blog Entries

Lovely rod in that photo Kev,a great rod for diameter and weight,well before it's time imo.
    Last edited by whitty; 10-09-2019 at 16:16.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    I don't know about your rod, or indeed carp rods or barge poles, but the graphics and X weave put it in a late 1980's series that includes this Triple X float rod that I've been hoarding unused for decades

I'm not surprised you like the rod; Shimano produced some unsurpassed classics in their early years in the UK market, and the X series rods were very highly regarded. The buy it now price looks a bit optimistic for a modified rod, though, and nobody has run off with it so far. Great carboot find!
    Nice rod. But I dont think the one listed is modified? some of them came with a line snatch? Also I would love to buy it again but dont have enough spare money. I would suggest one of you lot snatching it up as it already has recieved alot of interest.
    Last edited by joeH; 10-09-2019 at 11:50.

That is indeed a lovely rod Kev and it feels so light and capable in the hand. You must put it to good use.