What length river float rod

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
I'm after a new float rod for chub and barbel. I've got an Acolyte Ultra 13' for silvers which is perfect for its job but need something with a bit more grunt for when I'm going for bigger fish.

I have been using an old MAP Carp Waggler at 13' which is a little weighty and if honest has a sloppy action.

I've not owned a rod over 13' but am considering a longer rod for even some of the smaller rivers I fish. What is the optimum length for float control without making the rod unwieldy and not lacking too much control with bigger fish on a longer rod?

I guess an Acolyte plus has to be in the reckoning. Any other suggestions?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'vbe used many float rods and found the optimum to be 13ft as the action is usually tighter and more wieldable. Drennan Acolytes are over-rated in my opinion and I'd splash the extra cash and get a decent Tricast or Daiwa. Tricast do an extra power Trilogy 14ft that should be a brilliant rod.

JONM14

Reaction score
Greys prodigy 13ft is my choice, Hasnt let me down yet and had chub to 4lb and barbel to 5lb on the Severn and Avon faster sections. My dad has just replaced an old 15ft rod with a Cadence CR10#1 15ft that he really likes. He has the new Greys Toreon 13ft which is his go to rod. He has had plenty of double figure Barbel fishing a stick on that one and it was more that capable. He gets out more than me...

sam vimes

Reaction score
Rod length is largely dependent on personal preference, the water in front of you and the encroaching bankside vegetation around your chosen swim.

When specifically targeting barbel on the float, much depends on the water and the average size of the fish. Though my favoured trotting rods are 15', I'd use a stronger one on the Trent than I would on the Swale or Tees.

The best thing you can do is draw up a shortlist of rods and go and get hands on, preferably with your reel of choice attached. One persons idea of a perfect trotting rod is unlikely to marry up with the next persons.

Another issue is that beefy trotting rods, especially of 15' or more, are not exactly common. I don't consider the Acolyte Plus to be particularly beefy. It's more like a standard match rod these days, with the Acolyte Ultra being lighter actioned in comparison. Proper specimen float rods are generally a bit heavier (weight) than is preferable in a rod that you'll be holding all day. Actions can also tend towards being a bit more through than is ideal in a trotting rod.

Based on you thinking along the lines of an Acolyte Plus, I'd suggest that you put the Maver Signature Pro Classic, Daiwa Tournament RS, Daiwa Powermesh, Greys Toreon, Tri-Cast John Allerton Premier, Free Spirit (Hi-S/Tamer) Float and Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River on your short list, then go decide for yourself. I've owned, or own, many of them. I've at least handled the ones I don't. Some I like, some I don't, even when there are plenty of folks that adore the models I don't like. Some may be well beyond the prices that many will be prepared to pay for a fishing rod.

Keith M

Reaction score
I don’t know why Drennan recently decided to stop making one of their flagship rods the Drennan Tench Float rod; it’s a firm favourite of many Barbel (and Tench) anglers up and down the country and has sold many thousands.

I still regularly catch Barbel up to 9lb-plus on mine with very few problems.

You might find a good one for sale on eBay.

Heres what was previously said about them on this forum:

https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums...n-tench-float-rods-best-model.html#post923658

Keith

Last edited:

rob48

Reaction score
Really depends on which float fishing method you intend to employ. For waggler fishing on the river I see no advantage in using a rod beyond 13' in length as float control is not much of an issue and such a rod is "quicker" through the hands than a longer rod.
I've just enjoyed a week on the lower Severn near Upton which fished well for roach and bream despite being in need of some extra water. it's about 13' in the middle here and I had plenty of quality roach on the bolo fished on a Cadence 15' No.1. I also caught well fishing a light stick set about 9' deep with most of the shotting strung out in the bottom half. I used my favourite Browning 13'6" spliced tip rod for this.
Both these rods will handle bigger fish, I've had chub over 5lb on them and landed a large (unweighed) pike accidentally caught on the Browning.
One thing about the Cadence rods is that they are available in three different strengths/actions, 1 being the lightest, 3 the heaviest, so you'll have a good idea of the rods capabilities. Everyone has their own opinions but for about £120 I think they're an absolute steal.

Last edited:

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
I landed landed an 8lb Barbel on my Acolyte Ultra with a 2lb bottom today without too much stress, maybe I'll stick with it ;:D

Can't really afford another Acolyte or Tri-Cast at the moment and it will get limited use so considering the Greys Toreon, Daiwa Powermesh. Won't be able to have a look at any but they're all around £80 so it's not the end of the world if they don't work out.

The Toreon sounds good from reviews online. Has anybody got any info regarding the Powermesh.

John Keane

Reaction score
Have a look at the Drennan Matchpro 13 & 14ft rods. I have the Matchpro Ultralight and have landed carp to around 15lb on it and the Matchpro is a stepped-up version which remains lightweight, tip actioned and could be ideal for chub & barbel. Plus there aren’t any Acolyte type reports of them breaking (to my knowledge, anyway)

steve2

Reaction score
It's another one of those questions with no real answer.
The rod I have used for years is my custom built 13ft Tony Fordham barbel trotter.
Be bit old hat now after 30 odd years but it still does the job for me when needed.