Hook packets

flightliner

Reaction score
I was clearing out my box recently and noticed my hook packs needed sorting out that I did and found how may differant shades of plastic were used .
From clear to very dark which would be easy to discard with the odd hook still inside.
korum were the darkest with a not very user friendly hue, not easy in dawn to dusk situations imho particularly if hooks inside are small such as 18/20/22/24s.
Why make it difficult for purchasers especially when so many anglers wear glasses?

Reaction score
Because they are only interested in selling hooks,not whether you have any left...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do some manufacturers believe a tinted plastic offers uv protection prolonging the life of the mono?

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Many of us well remember the very old cellophane packets that the ‘expensive’ hooks to nylon came in years ago compared to the lose penny hooks.

I still I’ll have some old original carp hooks in those packets.

flightliner

Reaction score
Peter, me too, Partridge and some old Li -on Dor .
There's a line reclamation scheme these days , I'm sure those old cellophane /paper hook packets would go down just as well to help reduce plastic waste.

Keith M

Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind reverting to getting my pre-tied hooks in books of 10 grease proof type paper envelopes again either, it’s how we used to get them years ago before it changed to celophane and other plastic envelopes.

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have trouble pulling a single small hook out of those flap packets, my eyes and hands are not too good now and the hooks to nylon, I always manage to tangle them when unraveling. If they invented a better way of storing them for easy access and/or unraveling; I would pay more. They could give a choice, I bet it would be quite popular.

bracket

Reaction score
100 Mustad in a little cardboard box - tie your own - those were the days.............:)

When I use to tie hooks in bulk they always came in boxes of 100. I would put them individually into paper packets. These came in packs of 1,000. I would then heat seal qty 10 tied hooks into a heavy duty polythene envelope to keep them waterproof. I did dabble with using plastic resealable packets for each tied hook. That turned out to be a nightmare. Due to static it took me longer to packet a hook than it did to tie one. Pete.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I have trouble pulling a single small hook out of those flap packets, my eyes and hands are not too good now and the hooks to nylon, I always manage to tangle them when unraveling. If they invented a better way of storing them for easy access and/or unraveling; I would pay more. They could give a choice, I bet it would be quite popular.
Preston do a mag stick thing like a pole winder, 8 hooks per mag thing - 10, 15 or 45cm long (4, 6 or 18 inch) with bands or quickstops.

hooks.jpg

There are people that will tie them for you, but I don't know how they supply them.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Preston do a mag stick thing like a pole winder, 8 hooks per mag thing - 10, 15 or 45cm long (4, 6 or 18 inch) with bands or quickstops.

View attachment 7665

There are people that will tie them for you, but I don't know how they supply them.

That's the sort of idea I was thinking of but also a loose hook dispenser, a sort of click a button and one pops out. I use loose hooks mainly and find trying to fiddle one out of those little packets a bit difficult. They could sell them like that as an option, cost more but I bet there's plenty of anglers like me who wouldn't mind. .

Keith M

Reaction score
That's the sort of idea I was thinking of but also a loose hook dispenser, a sort of click a button and one pops out. I use loose hooks mainly and find trying to fiddle one out of those little packets a bit difficult. They could sell them like that as an option, cost more but I bet there's plenty of anglers like me who wouldn't mind. .

One of those magnetic hook dispensers that you can get sounds just the thing for you.

You can remove a hook very easily, and the loose hooks don’t thrash around and blunt themselves while they’re being stored loose.

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
One of those magnetic hook dispensers that you can get sounds just the thing for you.

You can remove a hook very easily, and the loose hooks don’t thrash around and blunt themselves while they’re being stored loose.

Keith

I will have a look for one Keith, did not know they existed, thanks.