Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Striking fish?

Default Re: Striking fish?

The way I strike will be dictated by circumstance. The surroundings, method, weather conditions, distance and flow/tow (inc direction) will all have an influence. There's no single way to strike for all circumstances.

Sam Vines has this spot on. There is no single, cover all conditions, way to strike. The only thing you can say for sure is that when trotting on the River you need to strike away from the direction of the current. That's like telling your Grandmother how to suck eggs. I always stand when river fishing, with the rod in a horizontal position, or just off the surface if the wind is bad. I tend to strike from this position through a 45 degree plane. Don't miss too many. Pete.
    Last edited by bracket; 01-10-2019 at 15:49.
    Casternets

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I strike up if it is a decent fish or just lift the rod if small..
    How can you tell what size fish it is before you strike?

You can't but I know the difference between a carp and a roach- usually.

Striking, whats that ? ....my 4oz leads do it for me...

I jest ....I cant say I have really analyzed it that much. I basically strike in the oppoiste direction the float is going. If its close in I strike less hard and more to one side to stop it flying into the nearest tree. If its further out I will probably strike more upwards and a bit harder to allow for any slack in the line and the depth of the water and so on.

Basically after a while it becomes second nature & is automatic based on the circumstances in front of me on the day.

My most spectacular tangles have been caused by striking upwards and bumping a fish, so I try to strike sideways if possible. I usually use sliders, even in shallow water, because the strike is quicker, more controlled and silent, even with only a few inches of travel.

Ok, but given the known variables, angle, depth fished at, water pressure, distance from the bait, through float or ledger, force applied and one or two more I can't think of; it must be possible to mathmatically work out the optimum striking angle. If two matchmen fished side by side and they had a hundred bites each and one struck at the optimum angle 100 times and the other didn't, who would take the most prize money over say 10 matches? If it was only 2 or 3 fish that could be enough for the most wins; as I understand it a match can be decided by such small margins. Would a matchman be interested in that; a mathmatician and a computer simulation program is all that it would need and I bet pleasure anglers would be intersted as well.
    At least would it not be an interesting exercise just as a thought and just throwing it in there, I bet no ones ever taken it on like that.
    Mike, when I caught that carp I just caught a glimpse of it about a foot under the murky water and did not get a real sense of the size or the look of it, just a bit of bronze and redish and the fact that I have only caught one carp in this river in 20 years, it just would not enter my mind that it would be a carp. I glimpsed enough of it to rule out a eel or bream and it fought like a roach and just for a wee moment I thought it might be huge roach, who knows where a 3/4lb roach might lurk. As soon as I got it nearer the surface I saw it was a carp and was very surprised.
    But, back to my little exercise, given that I nearly always fish this river the same way with the same sort of gear and distances and generally catch mainly roach; the very low side swipe was definately an improvement on the upward strike. I am not saying I would apply it to every situation but most similar ones maybe. I imagine the further out and the deeper you go, less would a low side swipe make much difference or a upward one better in just a general way but how far and how deep, at what point does one take over from the other!?
    Last edited by markg; 02-10-2019 at 03:02.

Blog Entries

Perhaps one of the worst terms for hooking fish the "strike"
    Generally it's no more than a firm lift.
    It all depends on distance and the amount of slack line to pick up. I see it has nothing more than picking the slack line up off the water.

Ivan used to write about trying to pull a tube (of line) through the water, to get the most direct contact to the fish. In practice this means striking to the side and the same side as any bow in the line.
    However - In theory you could use the resistance to straightening the bow to set the hook!
    In practice i use Ivan's method the majority of the time.

And with a slider - the biggest bow is surely the angle between float and hook/bulk shot at depth, so an upwards strike removes that bow quickest. In fact the same should be true with any deep bulk shotted rig. I think I do this intuitively when fishing a bolo rig.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12