Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striking fish?

Default Striking fish?

Fishing yesterday I started to strike right to left with rod very low, the tip just above the water. Normally instinctively I strike upwards but miss bites whereas I did not miss many yesterday. I don’t know why I started striking this way but it worked a lot better.

Fishing for roach really with a 4lb line a big cork float with a swan and one bb on. I normally fish the swan two thirds down and the bb near the hook but there was quite a bit of surface drift/current so I bunched the two shot about 5ins from the hook and had that just on the bottom. Not finesse but I have got lazy and just like things simple and the float will trot like this although I do not do that much on this, a very slow almost canal like river.
    I don’t suppose this would make much difference fishing at distance but close in on the river 6-8ft from the bank in about 6-8 ft of water. Most of the fish where hooked in the top lip and straight away where being dragged out of the holding area, not sure that helped but maybe a little, less spooking of the other fish.
    Anyone else find this a better way of striking?
    Last edited by markg; 01-10-2019 at 05:51.

Default Re: Striking fish?

I always strike to the left and low. If I struck vertically my light end tackle would end up flying at me if I missed the bite.....

If the float is to my left I strike to the right and vice-versa . Trees and other obstacles have a say in this and then I strike up if it is a decent fish or just lift the rod if small. I miss my fair share of bites.

That’s made me think! Normally I strike by lifting my rod tip up & 45 ish degrees in the opposite direction to the float.
    However if you think about it a low strike in the opposite direction would probably pick up the line quicker than a vertical strike.

Striking low is striking through the water whereas upwards is against the water and its tension on the line.

There are many variables on this subject, current, wind, distance, method etc, that will determine the most effective strike, but when roach fishing, particularly in shallower water I would tend to strike to the side, enough to connect to the fish, and then lead it away from the feeding zone whilst trying to keep it down in the water, as heavy strikes and splashing fish can spook the rest of the shoal. Sadly, my river doesn’t seem to produce many roach so not getting to practice this much at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

If fishing a fixed waggler,I strike to the side,which way is dependant on which way my line is bowing,if right I strike to the right,and vice versa to the left,this is to get the quickest and most direct contact,on the slider however I strike upwards.

I think distance and depth has a lot to do with it, I wonder if there are any maths to this. Optimum angle=distance, depth, angle of strike, water pressure, for quickest contact? Good luck with that.
    Yesterday I actually stood up and a little to the left of my baited area and a low strike right to left produced more direct contact and hooked fish plus I was pulling them away from the spook area more quickly. I have fished this river a lot and hooking fish has always been touch and go especially with sweetcorn but I was hooking everyone almost yesterday, just seemed a far more satisfactory method of striking.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    If fishing a fixed waggler,I strike to the side,which way is dependant on which way my line is bowing,if right I strike to the right,and vice versa to the left,this is to get the quickest and most direct contact,on the slider however I strike upwards.
    Very good point about the slider, I used to fish the Bedfordshire brickpits where 15-20ft depths at 2-3 rod lengths are not uncommon, definitely slider float and upward strike territory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Up every time for me. I don't fish with fixed wagglers, I prefer to strike the line through the float.
    Pole fishing is a lift straight up. Stick floats are out for me, rivers are not my
    Feeder or bomb fishing is just to tighten the line, carp are very accommodating, they hook themselves.
    Had to think about striking, I suppose it's just natural for me to do it the way I said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast