Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Worm hunting tips?

Can't remember the last time I saw mustard powder but I have a jar in the fridge - surely they won't know the difference. Might try that tomorrow. Meanwhile I have made some small piles of play sand ready for grip tonight, and I found some clear plastic in the recycling which is now coloured in red to make a filter for my head lamp.

I think a bit of fairy liquid does the same (other brands are available) , I get my big lob worms from Baitline very good service and great quality worms

Bait & Worms for Fishing - Dead & Live Bait - Baitline

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Johnson 2 View Post
    I agree with all advice so far, my tips are use a head torch with a red filter, and as your fingers get slimy dip them in sandy soil, it improves the grip, try putting a finger on the tail of the worm at the hole to prevent it retreating then with the other hand grasp the worm and gently pull. Worm hunting is nearly as much fun as fishing, explaining to the constabulary why you’re crawling around the cricket field in the rain muttering “ Gotcha you slippery, ba****d” at midnight, isn’t!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Spot on, I had many happy nights chasing worms in my younger days, and yes the police were called once, but I did used to "stray a bit" onto people's lawns! Worms are always bigger in the neighbours garden .

I sometimes used a paraffin lamp in those days as torches were pretty rubbish, but whatever, keep the light down or red. I don't do much now as my eyesight is rubbish and my glasses keep falling off when I bend down. Once you have the technique and feel for it exactly as described above it is easy, but a worm simply won't come I leave it rather than break it.

Thanks for all the advice lads. I already have enough for a decent session, sandy fingertips made a huge difference.

Bumper harvest from the square of your local cricket pitch are always guaranteed.

Blog Entries

Terry m, good call, and I used to walk along the white lines on the local football pitch, always turned up some good results.
    In my local tackle shop today lobs were £7 for 30.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    Terry m, good call, and I used to walk along the white lines on the local football pitch, always turned up some good results.
    In my local tackle shop today lobs were £7 for 30.
    Come to think of it the last I bought were 6quid for 25 big lobs, not 6 for a 1/4 kilo.

Golf courses are also excellent places to find them. A headtorch with white and red beams helps. Locate them with the white, then move in for the take with the red.

Quote Originally Posted by ian g View Post
    I think a bit of fairy liquid does the same (other brands are available)
    In the late '60s/early '70s, Shakespeare marketed a product called Easiworm, which was essentially a sachet of "shampoo" for mixing with water and designed to have the same irritant effect (not at all necessary, as noted above) as washing-up liquid. Needless to say, it didn't last long before being withdrawn!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12