Tonbridge sortsground, Medway river.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I understand this is a day ticket water from a Tonbridge Club, it's just off the town center and their blurb states barbel occasionally cruise in this stretch. Does anyone know if this is the case and/or what the fishing is like generally.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve read they do Mark

This group on Facebook is where you need to be, with contributions from Stuart Whiting.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks, I couldn't find if any barbel were caught in this particular stretch apart from the club blurb. It is probably the nearest chance of barbel fishing to me so was thinking of doing it one day after a visit to the town last week.

theartist

Reaction score
I've walked round it when visiting the inlaws, the river splits in two either side of the park if my memory serves me rightly. It didn't look barbely at all when I went there but that's not to say they aren't in there, I'd travel light as there's a fair bit of water either side to walk round

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I've walked round it when visiting the inlaws, the river splits in two either side of the park if my memory serves me rightly. It didn't look barbely at all when I went there but that's not to say they aren't in there, I'd travel light as there's a fair bit of water either side to walk round
Thanks Art, it did split in two, I found a few swims in the narrower bit the other side of the high st but it was shallow and I don’t think this is part of the day ticket water.
The main bit around the sports ground did not look barbel to me either, it's just their club website said they sometimes patrol in this stretch, but I am not always trusting of club blurb or other blurb come to that. Which is I why asked, because it would cost me £20 on the train and probably £10-ish a day ticket and it would not be worth it if it was just ordinary coarse fish, I get plenty of that for nothing, if it was exceptionally nice or interesting maybe, but it isn't so; barbel would be my only interest in this water. I could do it just for a change but even then there are better places for me to try.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Thanks Art, it did split in two, I found a few swims in the narrerer bit the other side of the high st but it was shallow and I dont think this is part of the day ticket water.
the main bit around the sports ground did not look barbel to me either, it's just thier cclub website said they sometimes patrol in this stretch, but I am not always trusting of club blurb or other blurb come to that. Which I why asked, because it would cost me £20 on the train and probaly £10 ish day ticket and it would not be worth it if it was just ordinanry coarse fish, I get plenty of that for nothing, if it was exceptionaly nice but it isn't so barbel would be my only interest in this water. I could do it just for a change but even then there are better places for me to try.

Yeah I only walked round it as the other option was to go shopping with the mother inlaw, not a tough call.This was a few years back now. From memory it looked ok but as you say just a normal bit of coarse fishing river, it didn't whet my appetite as a 'must take the rods next time' job but looked ok. I think there's some more streamy sections in the town centre behind the supermarket and on the industrial estate some of which used to be accesible but would require better local knowledge re who owns what and parking and whether there's barbel there in any numbers