Microwaving bread?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Found an old sliced white loaf of bread in my coarse bag today I forgot about, I thought it would be mangy but it's still OK. I was going to throw it away but then thought why not microwave it just enough to kill the yeast and bacteria and then seal it in a carrier bag (no room in the fridge). I did this for 1.30 mins and it was very hot and steam coming off. It was very elastic to touch, sort of gooey.
My question is, does this improve bread in any way, even a fresh loaf prior to fishing?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve read a few articles that advocate this. Maybe a similar theory to buying an uncut loaf and keeping it overnight in a sealed plastic bag to allow it to “sweat” a bit making the crust a little tougher for staying on the hook.

mikench

Reaction score
I have microwaved a slice of fresh bread and then rolled it flat for punch. I have also just punched a fresh slice and I found little difference from a bite viewpoint. I don’t think the fish are too fussy either way. I have been using the crust from a sourdough loaf which last for weeks and stay on the hook. Buy a 400g sourdough unsliced from Sainsbury’s and just cut all the sides off and cut into chunks of various sizes( mine were large as I was floater fishing). The middle can also be cut into chunks. I put the whole lot into a large ziplock bag and keep in the garage fridge.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Microwave the crusts from a sliced white loaf,roll and then compress overnight - tough crust for legering with liquidised bread in a cage feeder.I have found it usually outfishes flake.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I did the bread in 3 batches of about 10 slices each and put them in the carrier bag, tied a knot and now I have noticed the bag has collapsed on itself. It must have formed a vacuum or part vacuum as the steam condensed. This means the bread should stay fresh, killed the yeast, bacteria and now vacuumed packed. I don’t want to open it until I next go fishing as do not want to break the vacuum but it will be interesting to see what it is like. I only have a small fridge, no room for much, one small freezer bit that’s all. Not sure why I am bothering with bread, it’s so cheap but I hate throwing good things away, must be all that growing up with rationing parents.
I like using crust so will have a try of the crust treatment next time I go and I have been trying sourdough bread lately Mike so might try that as well. I might also try spreading a few slices with different things and microwaving them just to see how that turns out. I imagine jam, marmite, peanut butter, soft cheese etc will just melt into the bread and when it cools solidify again, might be interesting just as an experiment.
With that I am just wondering how any other baits will turn out, sweetcorn, chickpeas for example and if anything added to them is any good. I have used jam steeped sweetcorn and found it very good for bream so might try that, some sweetcorn in a bowl and a dollop of jam added and give it a cooking process in the microwave, maybe sweetcorn with some cheese, probably daft but you never know until you try and daft ideas can work out sometimes and I never thought of trying it before. A winters afternoon experimenting.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If i microwave bread, i do 4 slices at a time for 15 seconds. Then it goes into a sealable food bag. I have found this ideal, i think 1.30 minutes is more like cooking it, no wonder it was steaming. As for sweetcorn, luncheon meat etc, put in a food blender, the corn comes out like soup, ideal for feeding with a pole pot, the luncheon meat can come out like a paste, additives can be added before or after, maggots and casters or worms can also be blitzed in food blender, Just make sure you have a separate blender for this. ?.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If i microwave bread, i do 4 slices at a time for 15 seconds. Then it goes into a sealable food bag. I have found this ideal, i think 1.30 minutes is more like cooking it, no wonder it was steaming. As for sweetcorn, luncheon meat etc, put in a food blender, the corn comes out like soup, ideal for feeding with a pole pot, the luncheon meat can come out like a paste, additives can be added before or after, maggots and casters or worms can also be blitzed in food blender, Just make sure you have a separate blender for this. ??????.

I wanted the bread steaming to make sure all the yeast and bacteria were killed, I tried lesser amounts of time but it did nopt get hot enough and bear in mind I was using 10 slices approx a time. I do this with boiling water over sweetcorn sometimes in a jar and then seal it. The bread felt quite soggy when I pulled it out and some moisture has condensed in the carrier bag so the bread should still be moist when I pull it out.
I dont have a blender, mine broke some time ago and I more or less stopped experimenting with baits buts just might have a go with the microwave and various things. I am sort of interested to see how different cheeses and sweetcorn cook in it.

mikench

Reaction score
soup, ideal for feeding with a pole pot,

You can't stop mentioning Poles Mark.:rolleyes: You are studying too hard.

Markg try putting curry powder( hot or mild) on your chickpeas as carp and bream seem to like them.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Find me a bait that carp and bream won’t eat!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You can't stop mentioning Poles Mark.:rolleyes: You are studying too hard.

Markg try putting curry powder( hot or mild) on your chickpeas as carp and bream seem to like them.
Yep, I might try that, thanks. Something Tee Cee often said for roach as well and I think he said you can get ready curried chickpeas from Indian stores, I wonder if curry powder on bread is any good or mixed in a bread paste.

browndog

Reaction score
"I wonder if curry powder on bread is any good or mixed in a bread paste."

Yes.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Find me a bait that carp and bream won’t eat!

Whale bones

whale bone.jpg