Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    South Yorkshire.
    Posts
    2,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Preston's line diameters

    I use old reflo power in various diameters, my hook lines will need replacing soon. Hope it's still available.
    My favourite for waggler fishing is .15. Probably a touch thicker than stated but I'm not so precious when it comes to diameters. If the fish accept it that's my gauge.
    I try to avoid bigger fish but have had fish to 11lb on .15, for feeder fishing with shorter hook lengths heavier is needed, still reflo though.

  2. #12

    Default Re: Preston's line diameters

    Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    I'd only looked at FC1 for hook lengths which is where I use it. £11.36 for 25M FC1. As you say FC2 isn't badly priced. I use Drennan Supplex FC at around £5.5 for 50M.
    Am I reading this correctly? You use a hooklength line that costs £11.36 for 25m? Can I ask what qualities it has that merit the expense? (That's a straightforward question, not a rhetorical one). The lines I use for hooklengths cost a similar price for about 200m, and I find them so good it never occurs to me to buy dearer ones.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    521
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Preston's line diameters

    Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Am I reading this correctly? You use a hooklength line that costs £11.36 for 25m?
    I most certainly don't. I was just checking out the price and bumph to compare it to Drennan Supplex FC which I do use and find OK although the diameter does vary.

  4. #14

    Default Re: Preston's line diameters

    Like john I have been aware that reflow power is understated and stronger than stated. This does not really bother me too much, I use power for all rig lines, I just take it into account it bigger and stronger than stated. No different to how I look at maxima
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Azide the Stour
    Posts
    3,798

    Default Re: Preston's line diameters

    I've been using Reflo 0.09 for my summer tares fishing, knowing that it's really 0.10. This week I had to tie some 22 barbless and decided to find some proper 0.08 which was a spool of Shimano and subsequently had an 8-8 carp on it. In testing my old spools of Ignesti Special at 0.08 pretty much all of them had gone rotten so chucked out, a shame as it was good line.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    South Yorkshire.
    Posts
    2,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Preston's line diameters

    If it's known that a line is a little thicker than stated what difference does it make, the only thing that would bother me, is the line strong enough.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Subtropical Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    24,548
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Preston's line diameters

    Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    If it's known that a line is a little thicker than stated what difference does it make, the only thing that would bother me, is the line strong enough.
    If it's a thicker line it may very well be strong enough if it states the BS you're looking for because in all probability it will be even stronger than that stated and what you require. (Does that make sense?)

    If you're using a mainline of 0.23mm and you buy a hooklink of 0.20mm, but it is in fact 0.22mm then the difference in line strengths may not be that much different and you could suffer a mainline break rather than a hooklink break thus losing more tackle (float/feeder/etc.) than necessary.

    Put it this way, if you ordered a pair of size 9 shoes from an online shop and they send you a pair that, although stamped 9s, are in fact a size 10s you'd return them, wouldn't you?
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    South Yorkshire.
    Posts
    2,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Preston's line diameters

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post
    If it's a thicker line it may very well be strong enough if it states the BS you're looking for because in all probability it will be even stronger than that stated and what you require. (Does that make sense?)

    If you're using a mainline of 0.23mm and you buy a hooklink of 0.20mm, but it is in fact 0.22mm then the difference in line strengths may not be that much different and you could suffer a mainline break rather than a hooklink break thus losing more tackle (float/feeder/etc.) than necessary.

    Put it this way, if you ordered a pair of size 9 shoes from an online shop and they send you a pair that, although stamped 9s, are in fact a size 10s you'd return them, wouldn't you?
    I understand perfectly what you are saying, I can't fault your logic.

    To me if I know a line is overstated allowances can be made.
    If I know a line brakes over what is stated, the simple thing for me is to go for a slightly lower diameter. Or switch to an alternative.
    So long as the preferred line is capable of doing what I want that's good enough for me. Companies regular overstate their products, you can never really trust anyone who is after our cash.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Subtropical Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    24,548
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Preston's line diameters

    Quote Originally Posted by rayner View Post
    o me if I know a line is overstated allowances can be made.
    But how would you know it's overstated if the company put inaccurate diameters and BSs on their spools?

    I know we all trust to luck at times and we can catch fish heavier than the BS stated, but that's not a matter of how heavy the fish is, but how much it pulls, not forgetting the buffer of the bend in the rod, the drag setting, and stretch of the line. I just wish that manufacturers would submit their lines to the EFFTA line testing facility, then they and we would know the truth.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    South Yorkshire.
    Posts
    2,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Preston's line diameters

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post
    But how would you know it's overstated if the company put inaccurate diameters and BSs on their spools?
    If we believe what we read on forums we get a good idea of wrongly stated lines. I know I have read a report on the web, I think by Alan Scotthorne regarding the truth on stated line diameters.
    Like I said if we have an idea of the lines real BS we can make allowances. I believe thicker lines aren't so important has hook sizes, silver fish are a bit more cautious than say Carp. Especially on natural venues, commercial fish certainly where I fish seem far more gullible than say there brethren in rivers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •