Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Preston's line diameters

In the past I bought Preston's Reflo Power lines and after testing the diameters of them found them woefully out, by a large margin sometimes. I.e.: a 0.19mm Ø measured on my micrometer at 0.21mm. Even worse on a 0.22mm Ø that measured 0.25mm.

You might think 'So what?', but it does matter when you're trying to match hooklinks to mainlines. I even complained to Preston about it and they said that the line manufacturer gave them the wrong diameters, but that didn't wash with me. They should be checking and making sure that the line diameters stated on their product are accurate!

I'm still not sure whether the breaking strains of the lines are accurate, they seem to be in a straight pull, but do they allow for wet knot strength, which always used to be quoted at one time? They seemed good enough to me and I've not lost many fish because of line strengths.

Recently I decided I needed some new spools and can't get the Reflo Power any longer so looking around I see they have Accu Power now. I ordered the 0.18mm and 0.20mm Øs to see what they were like fully expecting them to be understated yet again.

SURPRISE, SURPRISE! I just measured them and they are spot on +/- 0.004, which is acceptable. Once again I will trust the B/S of the lines, but just pulling on them (what?) they seem fine, only time will tell.

Contrarily, I also ordered some Middy Lo-Viz line in 0.16mm Ø and guess what? It's out at 0.18mm Ø so it's the same diameter as the spool of Accu Power. The Accu Power will therefore stay at home to be used tying new hooklinks and the Middy stuff will go in the bag for use whilst fishing with the label duly corrected. Why can't they all be honest?

Preston's line diameters-preston-lines.jpg
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Default Re: Preston's line diameters

Known this for some time. My local tackle dealer, who is also a mate, and I, tested the range of Reflo line and all were out by at least 0.02mm on the thick side. I seem to remember when I mentioned this in a post someone told me to get a life!

We rely on blokes like you John.Preston's line diameters Are you ready?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the reasons I use stroft is it is very accurately labeled. Preston reflo is good line but I won't now buy it, due to this type of marketing bullshitl

Blog Entries

Just had a look at the Stroft catalogue. I use Fluorocarbon so won't be using it plus it's seriously expensive and not readily available. What was interesting in the catalogue is at the bottom of page 33 https://www.stroft.de/stroft_waku_ca...page=33&zoom=z. "Hint: Moistening the line is not recommended and could lead to a reduction in tensile strength" Never seen that before.

I'd never heard of this stuff either
    Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    Just had a look at the Stroft catalogue. ... What was interesting in the catalogue is at the bottom of page 33 https://www.stroft.de/stroft_waku_ca...page=33&zoom=z. "Hint: Moistening the line is not recommended and could lead to a reduction in tensile strength" Never seen that before.
    New one on me as well friction free line?

I use Fluorocarbon so won't be using it plus it's seriously expensive and not readily available.
    I've just had a quick look on the bay, it all seems available (including fluro), and the price compares to most lines out there (including reflo). Do you use something else.

I've been using reflo for a few years now for most of my hook lengths, but have had a couple of occasions where it just seems to snap like cotton after getting a bite, I run my fingers along the line to check for chinks before tying it up and do a good pull test before using it - must just be me, or maybe old pikey.

I've not found a good low diameter line though; i.e. one that I get on with, I usually end up with kinks for some reason - it's the way I tie em!

I'm not sure where the idea that Stroft is especially expensive comes from. I think I got some on special offer somewhere, but I just didn't like the stuff. IIRC it's Stroft GTM that people tend to mean when they simply refer to it as Stroft.

As far as Preston and diameters go, it's pretty harsh to single them out. The vast majority of brands understate both diameterand breaking strains. I take all line specifications given by a manufacturer with a pinch of salt. I don't care what brand it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iannate View Post
    I've just had a quick look on the bay, it all seems available (including fluro), and the price compares to most lines out there (including reflo). Do you use something else.
    I'd only looked at FC1 for hook lengths which is where I use it. £11.36 for 25M FC1. As you say FC2 isn't badly priced. I use Drennan Supplex FC at around £5.5 for 50M.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I'm not sure where the idea that Stroft is especially expensive comes from. I think I got some on special offer somewhere, but I just didn't like the stuff. IIRC it's Stroft GTM that people tend to mean when they simply refer to it as Stroft.

As far as Preston and diameters go, it's pretty harsh to single them out. The vast majority of brands understate both diameterand breaking strains. I take all line specifications given by a manufacturer with a pinch of salt. I don't care what brand it is.
    I'd only looked at FC1 for hook lengths which is where I use it. £11.36 for 25M FC1. As you say FC2 isn't badly priced. I use Drennan Supplex FC at around £5.5 for 50M.
    GTM 130m £7.95, but yeah £5.95 for 25m of the same stuff is steep. And I see the fluro is in 25m spools so see your point.

I'm the same as Sam though and just use it if I like it accepting that sizes may vary inordinately from quoted values.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post
    In the past I bought Preston's Reflo Power lines and after testing the diameters of them found them woefully out, by a large margin sometimes. I.e.: a 0.19mm Ø measured on my micrometer at 0.21mm. Even worse on a 0.22mm Ø that measured 0.25mm.

You might think 'So what?', but it does matter when you're trying to match hooklinks to mainlines. I even complained to Preston about it and they said that the line manufacturer gave them the wrong diameters,
    Preston's line diameters-preston-lines.jpg
    What, for the last 10 - 15 years ???? They know, they must know and they have never bothered to correct it. Rubbish excuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast