Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Do pike really bite through line?

Quote Originally Posted by tommos16 View Post
    I wish I had a tackle shop closer than a 45 minute walk. As the winter goes on are the bites harder and harder to detect? My first fish was a Roach, I can't imagine my affinity for them will go now for life. Access to maggots isn't the easiest so I may well turn to worms which are plentiful where I am

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Roach love worms.

Thanks for all the concise and educated replies

It just shows what an experienced and knowledgeable group are on this forum

As the winter goes on are the bites harder and harder to detect?

I'm not sure bites get harder to detect. But it does get harder to get bites. Fish will often shoal up in favoured areas - have a look where regulars fish, or ask in the tackle shop, if you've any breath left after the long walk. Fish can become less active, too, and may feed for limited periods, usually later in the day rather than earlier. It can be easier to scare fish out of your swim, as the water becomes clearer and any disturbance is magnified. And they'll probably eat less, so it's easy to feed to much and reduce the chances of your hookbait being taken. If you can work out where the fish are, fish the last few hours of the day, and induce them to feed with a careful bit of loosefeeding, the bites won't be hard to detect.

Quote Originally Posted by iannate View Post
    Thanks for all the concise and educated replies

It just shows what an experienced and knowledgeable group are on this forum
    Have you managed to catch any Pike? I can't wait for my first one that doesn't take my line with it

Blog Entries

I wish I had a tackle shop closer than a 45 minute walk. As the winter goes on are the bites harder and harder to detect? My first fish was a Roach, I can't imagine my affinity for them will go now for life. Access to maggots isn't the easiest so I may well turn to worms which are plentiful where I am

Have a try with meat. I've had a few sessions with the roach going suicidal on small pellets of punched bacon grill (Plumrose from B&M)

Does the pike actually bite the line or is it simply more of a case the line rubs back and forth catching the teeth and snaps off. I suppose like it does with a big trout ? If I had to guess I would say the above but I am not a pike angler so leave it to the experts on here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12