Do pike really bite through line?

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Looking in the mouths of pike, the teeth seem pointy for holding prey, but they don't seem to have razor blades on the sides of their teeth; I would describe them more like pins. Am I correct in this?

I haven't examined many sets of teeth [I've only caught them by accident rather than design since I was a kid and don't keep them out of water for long], but the spacing and shape of them would suggest to me that they would not cut through line easily.

For sure they can rip things apart, but the design is not for slicing (scissor action), I've always been told that they will bite through line, and I've often lost fish from snapped line for what seemed odd reasons that I put down to pike.

The pike that I have caught have had the hook in the mouth (beyond the teeth) on light lines, but obviously, I landed them so wasn't bitten off. The fish haven't been massive (1 - 6lb) so not sure if that makes any difference?

Hoping some expert pikers (and or biologists) can shed some light on this and see if this is just a myth perpetuated by time, or I should really seek more meaningful answers to more appropriate questions :confused:

wetthrough

Reaction score
Those tiny teeth are razor sharp. I suspect I've had a few bite through but as I didn't see what happened under water can't be sure.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Run your fingers through a pike's mouth and see if you remain convinced. Their teeth and bite almost certainly do not constitute a scissor action, but that they have stupidly sharp teeth, that can slice through things, including line, should be beyond all doubt.

Without any shadow of a doubt, pike teeth can slice through line. If they don't, it's because the angler was fortunate that their teeth didn't come into contact with their line. There's good reason for regular pike anglers using wire traces.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Looking in the mouths of pike, the teeth seem pointy for holding prey, but they don't seem to have razor blades on the sides of their teeth; I would describe them more like pins. Am I correct in this?

Nope, a pike's tooth is shaped like a knife blade, the sides are sharp as are the points. A zander's tooth is shaped like a pin, so round sides and a sharp pointy top.

I haven't examined many sets of teeth [I've only caught them by accident rather than design since I was a kid and don't keep them out of water for long], but the spacing and shape of them would suggest to me that they would not cut through line easily.

For sure they can rip things apart, but the design is not for slicing (scissor action), I've always been told that they will bite through line, and I've often lost fish from snapped line for what seemed odd reasons that I put down to pike.

A pike can't purposely bite through line but if a tight line touches their teeth then it's like a hot knife through butter.

The pike that I have caught have had the hook in the mouth (beyond the teeth) on light lines, but obviously, I landed them so wasn't bitten off. The fish haven't been massive (1 - 6lb) so not sure if that makes any difference?

Just pot luck with the line not touching their teeth, however a smaller fish comes to the net quicker than a larger fish thus there is less time for the line to touch the teeth.

tommos16

Reaction score
I was jigging 3cm lures on the canal last night, no leader (naive I know, but I was convinced a Pike wouldn't take it, a mistake surely only an angler who's been at it two weeks would make) and a Jack went through 8lb mono like butter. I was very glad to see my lure floating afterwards. Not a mistake ill be making twice, but one I got lucky to learn

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was having a good days roach fishing today, until Esox arrived, after three consecutive bite offs called it a day.

tommos16

Reaction score
I was having a good days roach fishing today, until Esox arrived, after three consecutive bite offs called it a day.
Please tell me it was sweetcorn, because bread punch is having no success for me

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Please tell me it was sweetcorn, because bread punch is having no success for me

I used both bread punch and maggots, the latter being more successful.

tommos16

Reaction score
I used both bread punch and maggots, the latter being more successful.
I wish I had a tackle shop closer than a 45 minute walk. As the winter goes on are the bites harder and harder to detect? My first fish was a Roach, I can't imagine my affinity for them will go now for life. Access to maggots isn't the easiest so I may well turn to worms which are plentiful where I am

john step

Reaction score
I wish I had a tackle shop closer than a 45 minute walk. As the winter goes on are the bites harder and harder to detect? My first fish was a Roach, I can't imagine my affinity for them will go now for life. Access to maggots isn't the easiest so I may well turn to worms which are plentiful where I am

Roach love worms.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the concise and educated replies :thumb:

It just shows what an experienced and knowledgeable group are on this forum :)

nottskev

Reaction score
As the winter goes on are the bites harder and harder to detect?

I'm not sure bites get harder to detect. But it does get harder to get bites. Fish will often shoal up in favoured areas - have a look where regulars fish, or ask in the tackle shop, if you've any breath left after the long walk. Fish can become less active, too, and may feed for limited periods, usually later in the day rather than earlier. It can be easier to scare fish out of your swim, as the water becomes clearer and any disturbance is magnified. And they'll probably eat less, so it's easy to feed to much and reduce the chances of your hookbait being taken. If you can work out where the fish are, fish the last few hours of the day, and induce them to feed with a careful bit of loosefeeding, the bites won't be hard to detect.

tommos16

Reaction score
Thanks for all the concise and educated replies :thumb:

It just shows what an experienced and knowledgeable group are on this forum :)
Have you managed to catch any Pike? I can't wait for my first one that doesn't take my line with it

d.owens

Reaction score

Have a try with meat. I've had a few sessions with the roach going suicidal on small pellets of punched bacon grill (Plumrose from B&M)

trotter2

Reaction score
Does the pike actually bite the line or is it simply more of a case the line rubs back and forth catching the teeth and snaps off. I suppose like it does with a big trout ? If I had to guess I would say the above but I am not a pike angler so leave it to the experts on here.