Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
    Blog Entries

Default Whip fishing advice please.

I bought myself a cheap 3m whip for grabbing a quick hours fishing with the kids. I've never used one before but enjoyed a couple of hours on a small pond yesterday.

1. I want to make up my own rigs, could any of you guys more experienced than me recommend a suitable line strength/diameter for main line and hook length? It's a 3m fibreglass whip. Not got any test curve or weight rating.

2. One of the reasons I have been reluctant to use a whip is the risk of hooking larger fish and snapping off. This happened to my son yesterday. Does anyone have any advice on maximizing the chances of landing the odd rogue fish?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Whip fishing advice please.

To facilitate being able to play and land the very occasional unexpected rogue Carp or other large fish on a light un-elasticated telescopic whip using finer lines I use a 5 to 7mtr flexible tipped whip that comes with one or two push in base sections, which I can use at 3 to 5 metres and then add the push in base sections if and when they’re required.

Being able to add extra length to the whip allows me to play the fish a lot easier and will also facilitate me being able to land a rogue fish using a landing net.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 21-10-2019 at 16:39.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

As Keith has said, the best chance of landing a big fish on a 3m whip is to have extra sections to add. In your case this is not an option, so it is a case of hang on and hope. However there are steps you can take to prepare for this situation. A three metre fibre glass whip, albeit a budget one, will be a very robust tool, well capable of coping with large fish without breaking. The determining factor is, obviously, the strength of the terminal tackle. You therefore need to prepare rigs of line strengths to cover all possiblities. A rig with a 1.5lb hook length and 3lb main line will be delicate enough for Roach, Rudd and Skimmers and give you a good chance of landing fish up to 4lb. If I have to hedge my bets, with bigger fish, I use a rig made up with PI Reflo Power line. There is a current thread, on going, concerning the properties of this line, however putting the pros & cons of that to one side I use this rig. A hook length of Reflo 0.13mm (4lb 12oz bs) with a main line of Reflo 0.17mm(6lb 12oz bs). That will increase your chances of landing bigger fish whilst still being quite fine. One thing you may find useful is to mark the whip bottom section where you are comfortable holding it. Attach the rig to the end connector and adjust the length of the rig so the hook, hopefully with a fish, can be swung straight to hand. When setting this length put a slight bend in the flick tip to replicate the wieght of a small roach. You will then have the ideal speed fishing rig for small fish. Hope you find this of some use . Pete
    Last edited by bracket; 21-10-2019 at 13:56.
    Casternets

Blog Entries

I would certainly forget about trying to land big fish on a 3mtr whip. if you expect for you or your children to encounter fish bigger than 8oz I would recommend you use a rod and reel.
    You would get more enjoyment with your kids catching more smaller fish with lighter tackle, the alternative is to fish too heavy to cope wit bigger fish to the detriment of smaller fish.
    Kids don't need to be catching large fish but do need to enjoy what they are doing to keep them interested.
    Tackle I would use would be light lines and small hooks. .06 .08 hook lengths to .12 rig line with a 20s hook, I wouldn't worry too much about bigger fish.
    You have to make the choice of which type of fishing you think your kids need to grab their interest.
    There are no wrong ways to fish.