Seymo Reed Cutter

peterjg

Reaction score
Just a word to the wise - DO NOT buy a Seymo Reed Cutter!! They are advertised as "heavy duty" - what nonsense!! Yesterday my second one fell apart when cutting back reeds - I certainly won't be buying a third!!

mikench

Reaction score
I never knew these existed. I see there are a few variants and one made by Dinesmores whose stuff is usually well made. I used a pair of long handled loppers once and they worked but I take too much fishing tackle without b***** gardening stuff.

theartist

Reaction score
I got a single blade one ages ago seemed pretty robust to me, maybe the production has changed. Found it very handy when in a tight spot on a couple of occasions especially when attached to a metal landing net handle.

Handle for fishing in Saaaf London ;)

peterjg

Reaction score
It's poorly made, the blade is moulded in plastic, there are two holes in the blade and in the moulding process plastic is pushed into the holes to help secure it in place. I appreciate that it is meant for cutting reed stems but it is obviously not man enough for the job.

The bad one

Reaction score
If you have any mates in engineering get them to make you one from an electric hacksaw and the blades they use for cutting steel bar. The blades are around an inch in width and 1/8 inch thick. The blade needs sharpening and welding to a 3/8 in BSF bolt. Which will then fit a bank stick or a landing net pole.
I have one that a mate of mine made 30 years ago and it's still going strong. Just needs edging up one a season to keep it tip top.

peterjg

Reaction score
Yesterday received in post (eBay) a GRANDSLAM reed cutter. It looks right, have not tested it yet. It is shaped more like a hook and is riveted not just moulded in plastic!

steve2

Reaction score
I never knew these existed. I see there are a few variants and one made by Dinesmores whose stuff is usually well made. I used a pair of long handled loppers once and they worked but I take too much fishing tackle without b***** gardening stuff.

I have found these to be not up to the job alright for a bit of light trimming.
When I fished on small streams I always carried a pruning saw, along with a bush cutter and hand sickle. I might seem a bit over the top but it opened up many swims and caught me many fish.

peterjg

Reaction score
I always take a machete - some swims on the Kennet are like being in a jungle!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Had a Seymo one for, must be, 22 years now and it sits in the car with some large pipe insulation protecting the blade. Use it lots of times on floating pond weed (damned nuisance stuff), but never on reeds, they're very tough! For reeds, I use a Carter's slasher, but a word of warning. Be careful when you're having a slash not to slash against anyone's legs as they'll be a little p!$$ed off with you.
slasher.jpg