Wigan Flashes

tommos16

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm curious, does anybody on this forum fish on the Wigan Flashes? I've read conflicting reports on the fish in there. There's talk of double Carp and Bream, nice Tench, endless Pike. And then there's talk of endless blanks and vast waters with plenty of natural food.

I'm considering an exploraty journey down on the weekend just to see what might pop up.

Cheers, Tom

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

stillwater blue

Reaction score
It's been 15 years since I've lived in Wigan but

Horrock's flash used to have some huge rudd in and some half decent pike too. I never really fished it for anything but those species.

Penny flash used to have big bream and carp to 30lb but it was very difficult. The lure fishing used to be good at certain times of the year as the pike used to group up in particular areas, I heard rumours of big pike but didn't have anything big myself.

Scotman's flash used to contain 20+lb carp. There was always loads of rumours of fish thefts from Scotman's but I know it also recieved a few fish too.

There was always load of rumours about the flashes and some blatant lies, you really need to fish them yourself or know somebody well who fishes them to get accurate information. The fish where easy to catch if you could locate them, location was the difficult part.

The smaller pits around the Scotsman Horrocks area had some good tench fishing

tommos16

Reaction score
It's been 15 years since I've lived in Wigan but

Horrock's flash used to have some huge rudd in and some half decent pike too. I never really fished it for anything but those species.

Penny flash used to have big bream and carp to 30lb but it was very difficult. The lure fishing used to be good at certain times of the year as the pike used to group up in particular areas, I heard rumours of big pike but didn't have anything big myself.

Scotman's flash used to contain 20+lb carp. There was always loads of rumours of fish thefts from Scotman's but I know it also recieved a few fish too.

There was always load of rumours about the flashes and some blatant lies, you really need to fish them yourself or know somebody well who fishes them to get accurate information. The fish where easy to catch if you could locate them, location was the difficult part.

The smaller pits around the Scotsman Horrocks area had some good tench fishing
You're talking my language though there Stillwater. I expect many a blank, but they're well within two rod carrying walking distance and I always love the idea of having a true 'wild' fish. I think I'm just going to have to roll the dice but I just needed some positive reinforcement haha

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk