My first catches of barbel and good bream thanks to this forum

sylvanillo

Reaction score
About 2 months ago I think, I was asking for advice around feeder fishing....
... some of you took the time to help...
... well a lot of water have passed under the bridges...
... and now I can say fishing is great fun!!

Apart from being surprisingly very curative to me, as I've become partly disabled over the last 2 years, I really enjoy fishing.

Over the last 2 months, I fished as often as I could, meaning 1-2 times a week, while on duties in Belgium. Only after-work sessions, driving from Brussels to the River Meuse in South Belgium, fishing for 2-4 hours, and back to the hotel for a tasty lager :w

Once on the bank nothing mattered more than nature, wind, the essence of things, my marvellous daughter, my lovely wife. Thinking sometimes, if only those politicians from all sides of the channel would go fishing for a while, perhaps... perhaps they'd become reasonable. Anyway.

So these have been my first fishes, some good bream (yes I know, no record!!!) and barbel. Also caught the little gobie in abondance but this one rather annoyed my line.

DSCF3941.JPG

DSCF3938.JPG

DSCF3917.JPG

DSCF3920.JPG

For sure a Duvel may always help!

DSCF3928.JPG

DSCF3931.JPG

The last session in Belgium was one of the best, this was my first time fishing by night. Temperature rising slightly, full moon, clear sky, under the stars..... from dust I had about 12 very good bream. The current was getting much stronger due to recent rains and I suppose that because of this the bream was as harsh on the line than a barbel.

DSCF3963.JPG

DSCF3955.JPG

The River Meuse in both Belgium & France definitely is a fantastic place for big fish, I'm just a beginner so I'd imagine that the skilled anglers may have a lot of fun!!

mikench

Reaction score
Well done to you! Everything comes to he who waits and wasn't that wait worthwhile ?

flightliner

Reaction score
Sylvanillo, well done, so glad you have been successful in your pursuit of catching some really nice fish and giving fm ers good insight to fishing on the Meuse .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nice one, looks a nice place and some nice fish. I worked in Belgium for a brief spell but never fished, wish I had looking back.

rayner

Reaction score
Really liked the pictures, more to the point thanks for acknowledgement of any help you received from FM forum members.
It really gets on my pip when folk ask for help then don't acknowledge any replies they receive.
Well done with your catches Sylvanillo.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
That's thanks to this forum anyway! So much information!

Mark if you ever travel back to belgium, plan a fishing trip between Namur and the border with France, good places are the river Meuse but also (as I've been told or as I've read the few press articles available) the Sambre and the Lesse. Fishing is open all year including night fishing for carp.
Sambre has recorded numerous catfish apparently, Lesse is a trout river which is known for its stock of barbel. So basically, staying somewhere in that area and trying the different venues is a good idea.

Generally speaking that's a £30x2 return ferry trip + 2.5 hour driving fuel from calais + accomodation.

The big issue I've found in belgium is that fishermen do not exchange at all, all venues kept secret etc. I'm not like this and will share!