I Concede.

bullet

Reaction score
At the moment, one of those greenhouse contraptions would be useful down here....especially if it covered the whole county!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I mentioned this once before a long time ago on here and someone posted about some in America and I thought then "one day". I did not know we had got there yet though.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
When indoor fishing was first mentioned I thought what a crazy idea, I had to google it to see the clip(for some reason I only see a blank page on threads)
In this particular setting IE to engage kids to keep their interest, I'm all for it.
It could be true to say that anglers have to be conditioned to cope with cold weather fishing, especially when I started and others too I guess with clothing and footwear totally unsuitable for the job. Freezing off our nadgers.
It wouldn't float my boat but indoor angling to teach younger anglers, it's a sound idea.

rayner

Reaction score
I think the reply from sam vimes resonates more with me than most of the others.
I'm not saying they were wrong but sams post was bang on with my decision. I'm going with a total halt to fishing probably until the spring.
I have a few wagglers to make and I have a yearning to alter quite a number of hooks that I tied and am unhappy with the end result. This became evident after seeing a winning ways clip. I only watched it after reading a post on here.
They will keep my hands busy.

d.owens

Reaction score
I worked outside for years, as others on here, often in terrible weather. The last 2 years I have worked indoors, the respite from awful weather has been very welcome, but I sometimes find the urge to be outdoors very strong.
I returned to fishing during the winter months, and I think this was one of the main reasons a couple of my kids never caught the bug (or any fish!) Sitting in the freezing cold can be very dispiriting and uncomfortable.
My own fishing will tail off as the weather deteriorates, but I'm determined to hone my drop shot and jigging skills. I will be well wrapped up and mobile.
The dark nights will be spent making floats and perfecting palomar knots for my drop shot rigs. I learned a few years ago from cycling, only do things that are enjoyable, I would be out on the bike in horrible weather, it was not pleasant and resulted in me struggling to get back on the bike.
Hope you enjoy your winter break and imagine you will be itching to return once springtime begins.

Clodhopper

Reaction score
I will be deeply regretful the day I am forced to make the same decision as the OP. Unlike some here, I spent my working life in an office, under artificial light, before a computer screen and with a long commute at each end of a day. Winters were therefore subject to a sort of SAD that made getting out on the river bank at the weekend a joy, in any conditions.

Now I have more time on my hands, I seem to have more outdoor chores to complete in the summer months. So I look forward to yomping through the mud for a spell and then returning to my fireside and a tincture.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

mikench

Reaction score
Fishing , even getting cold and wet doing so, is so much more fun than being sat in an office. I do not miss that at all.

g1_

Reaction score
Why not try a bit of drop shotting? When the weather looks Ok for a couple of hours a quick trip to the canal lock/bridge etc and try and catch a few perch. Fishing in minuets of arrival, pack up when you want and no heavy tackle to lug about. If you catch nowt then at least the walk and fresh air is beneficial.

rayner

Reaction score
That's a good idea.
I have a very good drop shotting rod and reel, a Fox rage Ultron finesse 6'6 rod coupled with an SU500 reel, both with a bag and all the kit with everything needed to fish is going.
It was a method I have enjoyed, it's a good fun method. My trouble now is I'm no longer mobile enough. It's not a technique that can't be fished proficiently if you are static.
It's destined for the bay just has soon as my technical services arrive.

Philip

Reaction score
Have you considered fishing out of the back of your car ?

I dont mean fishing a place with a car park and then walk to the nearest peg, I mean literally those places you can drive the car to the swim and then fish there...everuthing stays in the boot other than maybe the seat, net and rod.

Perhaps not ideal for the type of float/match type approach, better for a sit and wait for a bigger fish type of approach.

At one Kent pit I used to fish for Pike from the car...as in sitting in it watching the rods through the window outside next to it.

Not perfect but better than nothing ?

rayner

Reaction score
Don't think that would be possible at the venue I fish, especially with the fact that I'm unable to drive since my problems.
My wife is my pilot and there's no way she would sit whilst I fish, she'd rather stick rusty nails in her eyes.
I did buy a chair with a view to use it for dropshotting, I geared myself to fish with the bare requirements. It proved just too much for me to manage.
Thanks for your idea though.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don’t you have any fishing pals, or a local club that could help you with transportation?

rayner

Reaction score
I have loads of what I considered friends, strangely they have all disappeared one by one. Just proves my theory that most friends are only there for help in one way or another. I could still go to my local and they would be has friendly has they ever were, I just had they idea they were more than just passing acquaintances, they obviously aren't.
The two proper friends who would always be there for me has I was for them have sadly both died.
I've fished alone for more than twenty years, while I can manage with the help from my wife I'll stick at it.

I should add, I had a very generous offer from chrissh on here that I declined, being alone is my choice.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Being alone not fishing, or with some help you can fish, it’s a no brainier surely?

Philip

Reaction score
If your at the point where you really are struggling physically to move any distance then have yo considered a mobility scooter. The Crow used to go fishing with one if I recall.

Do you have any canals within striking distance ? ...get an electric scooter, wife drops you off and spend the afternoon drop shotting the towpath from that.

With a bit of handywork I recon one could be turned literally into a mobile fishing station....bet the Korum anychair adapter would fit it too. I can appreciate it wont be for everyone but its another idea to put out there.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I am very grateful for any of your advice for trying to help with my predicament, on the other hand I prefer to be left to my own devices.
Don't get the wrong idea that I'm not, I tried to make my remark above to not sound ungracious but the one above is the best I can do.
While ever I can manage on my own with my wife's help of course I'd much rather do that.
I'ts no big deal me being unable to fish in winter, if I really wanted to push it I have no doubt I could. For no other reason than I now feel the cold far more than I ever did stopping and waiting for warmer days seems a better choice.
I have a wheelchair that I've no intention of using for anything never mind fishing. To use a wheelchair would be like giving up to me.

mikench

Reaction score
That's what my father said a year ago but now he would rather go in a wheelchair than not go . He doesn't go fishing but to the pub or a restaurant he is quite happy to be pushed. He is 92 however.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
As the online betting tagline goes, "when the fun stops, stop!"

I have to confess to getting very excited about the next 5 months of the river season. The summer hordes of swimmers, dog walkers, ad-hoc bbq-ers, joggers, snoggers and whoever else have departed the river bank (trust me, on my nearest stretch of the thames in Oxford in the summer it's bedlam!!)... plus the really tiny fish that would have plagued you all day are also noticeable by their absence... I'd never dream of going for a whole day at this time of year, but the ideal session of 2 or 3 hours in the afternoon seeing it through in to dark happens at a very convenient time to keep everything happy at home (say going out at 2.30 and coming home 3 hours later). But best of all, I have several different local waters where the chub fishing really comes in to its own at this time of year, so no massive rucksacks or holdalls needed. A small bucket can take all my tackle and bait; lightweight chair under one arm and a rod, net and bankstick/rest banded together carried in the other. I can have a good walk around, always find a banker swim that's empty for that special last hour, and genuinely it only takes a single fish caught for you to feel like you've had a great day (and on some days it will be many more!). I realise there's probably some underlying health issues for the OP... and like I said at the start, if you're not really feeling it, then why go just for the sake of it? However, this really is some of the fishing time I look forward to most...