I Concede.

rayner

Reaction score
A decision had to be made, conclusion was to mothball my tackle including my acquisition of a new MAP parabolix waggler rod, that will have to wait until after the new year.
I've been struggling to cope with bad weather for the last two winters. It had to come sooner or later, well I've bit the bullet and decided the time is now.
I've had a to accept I'm far from fit enough to battle on through another winter.
Roll on next spring.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That must have been a tough decision to make but it seems like it might be the sensible one.

Remember there are no prizes for being the coldest, wettest or most miserable angler on the bank, and in the final analysis your health is the most important followed by your enjoyment.

Personally, thee days, I fish very little in the colder months, but, that said, there are those occasional days when the sun has a little warmth and the rain keeps off so maybe it should not be a blanket decision?

sam vimes

Reaction score
My teens and twenties are a distant memory, but I'm below what seems to be the average age on here. I gave up on endurance test fishing a few years back. There's little joy to be had in being cold, wet and uncomfortable (or combinations of them). Catching lots, or big, can offer some consolation, but it wasn't enough for me anymore.

It's the reason I fish the way I do on the waters I do. I fish close to home on waters paid for by the season. If I go and the weather turns unexpectedly, or the fishing is rubbish, I'll turn round and come home. I begrudge doing that if I've traveled any distance, or had to pay for a day ticket.

However, it might not be the case if my fishing time were restricted by something as unpleasant as full time employment. I'm lucky enough to be in a position to pick and choose when I go. It's something I'm very thankful for.

seth49

Reaction score
Got to agree with that, I’ve worked outdoors nearly all my life, in some truly horrible weather, so from now till spring I’ll just pick the milder days to go, I’ve had enough cold wet days working outdoors, don’t need it anymore.

Keith M

Reaction score
I might have a day or two after a Pike or two this winter but it would have to be a very mildish and windless day to get me out on my local reservoir otherwise I’ll be tucked up by the fire.

I might also have the very occasional day out after some winter Barbel, Chub or large Roach but it would also have to be a very mild day where I can tuck myself into sheltered swims away from any cold wind and wear gloves to stop my hands from seizing up.

The days when I would joke about fair weather fishermen; and go fishing no matter what the weather was like; have long long gone.

Keith

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
Having fished in all types of weather and been told you must be mad I came to the conclusion a few years ago I must be and gave up.
It doesn’t take much these days weather wise to stop me going, too hot, too cold, too wet, and too windy.

mikench

Reaction score
I think you have made a sensible if reluctant decision Gary and I wish you well. Do consider however a sturdy and quick to erect day shelter/ bivvy. Your wife sounds a very capable and understanding woman so her input into your choice would be essential. They not only protect you from the rain but also cold winds and can increase the ambient temperature around you by several degrees. In other words they can and do, for me, make the difference between going fishing and not. There are loads to chose from including flat back brollies you peg down.

I have a Trakker Tempest Brolly which will be used a lot over the coming months. Once ensconced within and all set up ,it's all Swallows and Amazons. I light my little gas burner and make a cappuccino or latte and to be honest if I catch something that's a bonus. I'm just glad to be out.

If you weren't so far away I would let you try mine just to see if it worked for you. I would never ever spend a night on the bank even in summer but as a day shelter, and an effective one, many models are very useful indeed. Just a thought.:)

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There will be days I won’t fancy fishing a river, handling maggots, setting up etc. But if the itch has to be scratched, a couple of hours with the lure rod is just the tonic, gloves kept on, keep on the move and travel light. Might come away having blanked, rather that than still have an itch!

nottskev

Reaction score
I've had to learn when to give it a miss, and sometimes health conditions make that decision for me. And there are plenty of circumstances when I'm not even tempted. But I do like a bit of variety, and there are some kinds of fishing that belong to winter that I wouldn't want to miss out completely. I used to think the best river fishing was in the winter - but I was younger and didn't live next to the Trent, where fish mysteriously vanish at the end of autumn. Even so, much as I like the vegetation, the abundant nature of summer, there's a special austere beauty about the waterside scene in winter. A mild, grey, windless day in December, with bare trees and the riverside - or lakeside - stripped back to the essentials could well be my favourite setting.

To that end, I've got to know where I can go to minimise the discomfort and hopefully get a few bites. I know which winds blow into which banks on the stillwaters I regularly fish, and where the sheltered pegs are on a given day. Where the roach shoal up on flooded local rivers. Where you can fish off dry concrete when it's rained for days. Where you can find a floodwater barbel swim you can park behind. Where you can have a couple of casts and catch a chub in the last hour of daylight on a cold day. And so on. If I'm feeling reasonably fit, I can usually find some kind of fishing where the pleasure outweighs the punishment.

john step

Reaction score
I echo that sentiment entirely . There is always somewhere or something to do to get a session in winter. Winters are nowhere near as cold as our youth. The coldest weather can be avoided but there is usually a mild or dry spell to get out behind a sheltered spot.

I couldn't face waiting for Spring to fish again. Its not even cold yet. Might let the heating go on before Christmas though.:wh:wh

rich66

Reaction score
You have to do what’s best for you, your sanity and your health.
I have a need to get out away from work & sometimes home. I do know after today’s soaking I’m in need of a better brolly or as suggested a day shelter.
Plenty of layers always helps, bought some Lidl neoprene gloves they are surprisingly good at keeping some of the chill out.
Lure fishing is ok too in the winter at least your on the move !

rayner

Reaction score
Some good replies thanks.
At a time when I was forced to work, weekends were the only time I could manage to get out on the bank.
Nowadays I get the chance to go whenever I fancy, it's all weather dependant.
I've had my share of cold, warm far outweighs the cold for me.

John Keane

Reaction score
I’ll stick to the winter pursuits of piking, trotting for grayling and fishing from a boat for Mersey cod. Probably only manage each of those a couple of times as well. Never need much of an excuse to not go fishing in the winter.

Fly tying is a good winter pursuit to plot the downfall of spring salmon and trout.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
An indoor comercial is the answer, maybe a TV on the swims for when the fish are not biting. I bet it will happen one day somewhere.
I don't fish bad weather anymore so a few winter trips here and there if it's mild. Just not as hardy or keen as I was when younger. However, I keep the tackle ready made up in the hallway for a quick grab and go short session all year round.

nottskev

Reaction score
What an interesting little video. You have to watch it to get the rationale. As the bloke explains, it's not about bringing angling indoors.........

sam vimes

Reaction score
What an interesting little video. You have to watch it to get the rationale. As the bloke explains, it's not about bringing angling indoors.........

I understand the rationale. I certainly wasn't knocking it, and it's not a commercial water. It's just an indoor fishery, but for a rather specific purpose.

nottskev

Reaction score
I understand the rationale. I certainly wasn't knocking it, and it's not a commercial water. It's just an indoor fishery, but for a rather specific purpose.

I didn't for a moment think you were; I assumed you'd watched it before posting it. I only made my comment in case people who hadn't saw the pic and and jumped to conclusions.