Advice on free/day ticket Thames venues

Xplorer1

Reaction score
I fancy a day on the Thames, trotting for roach. Does anyone have suggestions on good free/day ticket stretches, and on technique etc?

Thanks...Neil

W

Wolfman Woody

Neil,

It's 215 miles long. Can we narrow that down a bit to a few miles in a particular area?

Might save on posting time.

/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Good point! I'd be driving up from Sussex, so somewhere in the M25 area,: west London/west of London area? Richmond, Kew, upstream of there a bit?

W

Wolfman Woody

Bit too downstream for me.

I'm more Windsor, Maidenhead, Marlow, if you see my point. Oh, and the Jubilee River of course.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Woody-does the Jubilee river fish at all and is it free fishing??I remember it being built but never heard of any fishing being allowed,although I can't see why not....(perhaps its the place for 2lb roach!!)

Sorry to come in on your thread Xplorer1....../forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

I just posted this -

The Thames Valley Angling Association invites anyone to fish the Jubilee River free of charge at any time between now and the 14th of March. The stretch in question is from the car park at Marsh Lane sluice, Taplow, upstream to the wooden bridge and downstream to the M4 Motorway Bridge (2000 metres approx.) You must hold a current EA Rod Licence and anglers must be covered by their own public liability indemnity as the TVAA accepts no responsibility for any harm or damage caused to themselves or by them to members of the public. <u>ALL FISH TO BE RETURNED ALIVE</u>. Report all catches, no matter how small, to me - Jeff Woodhouse 01494 523988 - who can be contacted for details of memberships.

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Woody, WIndsor, Maidenhead area is fine. Only a few minutes further up the M4 after all.

Neil

W

Wolfman Woody

Windsor - Romney Island lock cut - Windsor AC, day tickets (don't know how much). Can be difficult but barbel show quite regularly.

Maidenhead - Free fishing above Boulters Lock to small bridge at Islet Road. After that upstream is charged at £2 per day by MASDA/TVAA. Pretty good at timeswith catches of roach, chub and perch. Bream can show at night.

Boveney - Again, £2 per day by MASDA/TVAA. Some nice bream and perch on the right days. Occasional pike. Works well with float or feeder. Parking in nearby car park a bit risky when hooligans about.

Jubilee River (as described above) - largely unknown quantity still although the carpers are out overnight in their bivvies and a few guys have great success feeding loads of trout pellets and fishing the feeder into the night for bream - BIG bream. One chap always claims to catch roach trotting a float near to mid channel (4 metres deep centre) about this time of year to EOS. <u>AND IT'S FREE!</u> Just tell me if you catch something. <u>
</u>

W

Wolfman Woody

PS - Marlow has a free stretch below the lock.

And there's fishing at Cookham for a modest yearly fee (£15 or so) and that gives you FREE access the Cliveden and Boveney then. Tickets form Maidenhead Bait & Tackle 11-13 Station Parade, Cookham, Maidenhead, SL6 Tel - 01628 530500 (tell Mike I sent you and I want commission)

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Son of Meldrew

Reaction score
Neil, I can recommend the free stretch at Runnymede, just west of Staines- come off the M25at J13 and take the A308 for 1/2 miletowards Old Windsor, that's the opposite direction to Staines town - and there is a council car park with a cafe on your right. Turn left as you go in and drive parallel to the main road up to thefar end of the car park and you're right by the river.

There are ticket machines nearby for parking but it's best tohave a quick look at the river before paying - you might not fancy it and then youwon't have wasted your money!

Where the car park meets the river it's about 15' deep on the bend and it can tow hard when there's a bit of water on. The depth drops away as you go downstream so pick your spot to suit the water conditions - about 150 yards downstream you have about 8' a couple of rod-lengths out. There are bream along the deep bend, also good roach and perch. In warmer conditions you can get pestered by small roach, dace, bleak, but in winter you will mainly get quality fish. I have heard of big chub to maggot feeder fished across to the trees but have never tried this. Mainly you will need stick float gear, preferably a longish rod (I use a 20') or a pole. You can also pick up nice fish on the bomb or small feeder quite close in, as the margins arequite deep.

We generally take bronze maggot with a few reds, plus casterand hemp - it's a good idea to feed using a dropper to start with so you get a bit of bait on the deck. Then just keep feedinguntil something happens! I have seen 30lb+ bags of roach here in the right conditions, ie. fining down after a flood, with everyone on the stretch catching on a variety of baits and methods.There are some cracking perch here, too, and the downside is there are some nuisance pike, too - but that just shows how many fish there are here!

All in all I'd rather have a hard day here than an easy day on some overstocked carp puddle wherea monkey could catch 100lb!

Good luck!

Windy

Reaction score
I would be very interested in having a bash at this new stretch Woody, if I could locate it.....

done the old Google maps bit here but find / work out precisely where these Marsh Lane sluices are or which bit of water you are referring to, running from where to where. Is it what is marked as 'White Brook' on the map ?

I don't know, but I just enjoy having a go at 'unknown' bits of newly created or re-created water, you never know just what you're going to find out about it. Which is why, I take it, the offer of free fishing is being made by the TVAA ?

Would there perhaps be scope for a modest FM fish-in day, pegged every 50 yards or so and allowed to rove 25 yards either side of the peg, with a view not so much to winning weights etc etc etc but genuinely for the craigh and to help find out and collate just what is in there now ?

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Well thank you all for your generous and detailed advice - I have a number of what sound like excellent venues to choose from. I shall report back......

W

Wolfman Woody

Windy, the sluice is right by the side of Marsh lane bridge where it crosses the river. It's almost in the middle of the map your link takes you to.

You can go north (upstream) to the next bridge, or south to the bridge for the M4.

Take no notice of all that green gunge in the pictures, that was created when the river was fresh and too full of nutriant. A lot has died back now and you don't see that algae anymore.

A favoured spot is upstream to opposite the big (Taplow) lake. Feed a load of ordinary trout pellets, at least 4-5 kilos, and sit on them with a feeder just off those little islands (breeding grounds for the fish and birds). The big bream will move in and you could end up with a terrific catch. Best chances are at night though, but that's ok.

We were talking about an open match on there with some prizes from the EA. I'll ask about an FM Fish-in if you like, but I am just a little afraid that not many will catch. It's a difficult water, but that hasn't stopped us having a blanker before has it?

Windy

Reaction score
Ummmmm..... still no wiser old chap !

Marsh Lane runs from the railway line to the north to the M4 south, then peters out off to the south east once its gone under the motorway. It's nowhere near the river(s) to the left and no part of it crosses any river, let alone features a bridge ? Definitely a wee bit mystified....

Is this Google map years out of date and not showing this new channel or what ????

no-one in particular

Reaction score
All my information is a bit out of date. However I used to fish on the Thamesaround Richmond, Twickenham years ago. It was all free then. The stretch between Twickenham and Richmond along the tow path was free and I am fairly sure it still is. Other members may have more information. I was in Weybridge (posh place) 3 months ago and a lot of anglers fishing there and they said it was free. Plus a little bit away from the river there was the Wey Navigation Canal ( I think it was called this) which looked good and the lock-keeper said this was free.I thought it would be good to try the river and if not fishing well try the canal as it was not a long walk + I did not see anybody fishing it! Parking was not a problem either as right next to the river.

Used to get a ferry in Sunberry (I think I have spelt that wrong) across to Sunberry island which had a big weir and good weirpools but whether you can still do this I do not know but, top fishing ( big bream)so may be worth checking. Sunberry is near Kingston.

Saw a nice barble caught near Twickenham a couple of years ago and many years ago there were some nice carp on this stretch, not many and hard to find but I had seen them. What it is like now I do not know. But there must still be loads of free fishing all along this part as it is tidal but, a long way from the sea. I think it is tidal as far as Teddington Lock which also has a weir and I am sure is free but, a lot of people always fished this so hard to get a good swim.

I hope this helps a bit --I can elaborate a bit more if you want.

Steve Weaver

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the stretch just upstream of Windsor (railway bridge upwards) is still manged by Salthill Angling and whether you can still get day tickets - used to fish it as a kid.

Cheers

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Windy wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Ummmmm..... still no wiser old chap !

Marsh Lane runs from the railway line to the north to the M4 south, then peters out off to the south east once its gone under the motorway. It's nowhere near the river(s) to the left and no part of it crosses any river, let alone features a bridge ? Definitely a wee bit mystified....

Is this Google map years out of date and not showing this new channel or what ???? </blockquote>

Marsh Lane sluice

I've magnified the link you put up. Try finding your glasses and that cross to the left side of Marsh Lane is the sluice. The car park is adjacent.

Are you looking at the map view or satelite view? It's not marked on the map, but you see it on the satelite view.

Can everyone else see that?

Windy

Reaction score
Gotcha. The map format does not show the new channel at all, so I'm not going mad(der).

Looks good to me, happy to have a wander along it some time soon. Wil plan to do so !