Website trickery or what

mikench

Reaction score
Is that an admission that you were wrong to hint that AD were doing something a bit more fishy than simply selling fishing gear? ;)

No. I'm not claiming any moral high ground here and will always accept a bargain. I may check but AD may show on their site that the rod I bought was priced at £40 but was now out of stock( as most items are). In truth one rod, as far as I am aware was sold at that price which was abnormally low and was , if you'll forgive the pun, a sprat to catch a mackerel.

Some potential purchaser may be waiting a long time for a rod to be sold again at that price if ever. It's a marketing technique but a disingenuous one imo.

AD have never routinely sold any of the reels I mentioned in my first post at the prices quoted. Nor have they sold the Greys rod
at the price I paid. The price was up for a few minutes only . I could as a retailer sell something at below cost price to a friend and then show that item as being available at that price but out of stock. I could even buy it myself. I like Ad but wanted to alert people to this seemingly common practice. I'm just waiting for my local Porsche dealer to do something similar.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

hague01

Reaction score
One trick I learned when finding a potential new rod on Ebay at a " bargain" price was, before ordering, a check online often produced remarkable results. I have even found A/D has one price and AnglingWharehouse another on line whereas to all intents and purposes they are the same.I do have the impression though, which could be wrong as I usually am, that as the name suggests it is intended that they are seen as one retail and the other wholesale but the message maybe gets lost in the translation.

sam vimes

Reaction score
One trick I learned when finding a potential new rod on Ebay at a " bargain" price was, before ordering, a check online often produced remarkable results. I have even found A/D has one price and AnglingWharehouse another on line whereas to all intents and purposes they are the same.I do have the impression though, which could be wrong as I usually am, that as the name suggests it is intended that they are seen as one retail and the other wholesale but the message maybe gets lost in the translation.

I've taken advantage of that before. It got to the extent that I'd always check ebay before checking the price on the full website, and vice versa. However, in the last year or so, there has very rarely been the big price discrepancies between them that there once was. What I have seen is them list things on ebay that don't even show on the website, and vice versa. They also have this weird thing where the website search function doesn't find an item that you know is in stock at a bargain price.

mikench

Reaction score
I know that when pricing a flight with EasyJet that each time you go back to check the price has gone up . You are effectively increasing the cost every time you log in.

We thus plan the dates before hand and then log in and book there and then.

mikench

Reaction score
They also have this weird thing where the website search function doesn't find an item that you know is in stock at a bargain price.

That is precisely what I found Chris. Going back to the site either directly or through Google showed no sign of the bargain. I'm not certain how I found it again to be honest.