Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Website trickery or what

I reckon you've got a very good rod there. You can tell me what you think when we meet next.

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    from Baileys (shouldn't that have an apostrophe?) of Warwick.
    No, a bit like Baileys the drink, both chose not to have an apostrophe - whereas Jack Daniel's do.

The rules of English are so gosh darn complicated, and sometimes, when the sign is on the wall "St Thomas' Hospital", "St James' Square", "Gerards Cross" (no wonder, he is missing an apostrophe) - the list go's on and on

I didn't get on very well at school, and the above is an example of a conversation where my English teacher couldn't explain it and told me to jfd; a few other subjects were the same

There is a book on the use of the apostrophe and Kev will be along later to explain. What about apostrophes to indicate a plural. E.g.

You need to remember to always dot your i's. This is the only example and only follows a lower case letter . Fiendish!

The hottest tip, amongst punctuation marks, for oblivion, according to some, surrounded as it is by misunderstanding, misuse and indifference. There is an Apostrophe Protection Society if anyone wants to join their Extinction Rebellion. This bloke ( his writing on language is encyclopedic) can explain its use; I'm goin' fishin', as I have since '69.

David Crystal |

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

#save the apostrophe

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    You need to remember to always dot your i's. This is the only example and only follows a lower case letter . Fiendish!
    Dotting i's and crossing t's is one of the many exceptions because it would be difficult or confusing to read otherwise.

Apostrophes were originally introduced to allow spoken English to be put into print. 'Twas not the same after that.
    Last edited by iannate; 29-10-2019 at 16:32. Reason: Correct duff grama'

7. Default Re: Website trickery or what

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    Similarly guilty I've said I wouldn't buy a rod without handling it but did it anyway 13' Garbolino Altima Match Light £100. Not sorry I got it though from Baileys (shouldn't that have an apostrophe?) of Warwick. Seems they still have some.
    As an aside we had a week's holiday in Warwick last year (strictly no fishing tackle!). However I could not resist a visit to Baileys and I must say I was impressed with a good , old-fashioned and friendly tackle shop.

I collected a Greys lure rod to today from the PO. It was priced at between £99 and £125 on the web. AD had it at £99 but inexplicably I saw it briefly at £40 and then it disappeared. I managed to find it again at that price( they had 1 only) and when they were offering 10% off everything. I used my points and got it for £34.10. I'm happy and it feels a lovely rod for light lure fishing.

It just goes to show that regular surfing and checking can, sometimes , reveal a bargain.

Is that an admission that you were wrong to hint that AD were doing something a bit more fishy than simply selling fishing gear?

It seems fairly obvious to me, and I can quote a handful of examples I have seen, that the power of the likes of Bobco and A/D is such in customer base and coverage, that the manufacturers supply them at very competitive rates on end( shortly to end) of line rods/reels particularly.
    One classic example was when hardy pulled out of the coarse market.A/D had so many marksman superos offered at or even less than half price they must have been handed much of the unsold stock by hardys. But you are right, they don't last long. Bobco also had selected superos at half price, I bought a 13' extreme feeder, used it for 3-4 years and sold it for a profit.That doesn't happen very often( to me) which is why I remember it so vividly.In publishing and fashion I seem to remember they were called collectively "remainder" stock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast