Website trickery or what

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you are suggesting that AD never sold them for that price, you may be wrong.

Follow the link below and tell me how likely you think the prices of the out of stock items are?
Daiwa Air AGS Match Rod
Then you notice that one of the in stock items is similarly discounted. Knowing someone (other than just myself;)) that has bought several heavily discounted items from AD also helps.

It's the right time of year or there to be some serious tackle bargains, if you are lucky enough to get wind of them before they disappear.

mikench

Reaction score
I have only ever seen them at around the £120 level. I bought the 4000 model( I think after your kind tip) for just less than £100 and was well pleased. I would have bought both at those prices.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have only ever seen them at around the £120 level. I bought the 4000 model( I think after your kind tip) for just less than £100 and was well pleased. I would have bought both at those prices.

I bought a Sphere Waggler rod from AD for £200. I really only bought it because it was £200. Other than for the five minutes between me first spotting it and buying it, I've never seen another for so little. That's the way it goes with AD. They do occasionally sell stuff at big discounts. The problem is that they generally don't have huge stocks of whatever it is they do it with.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I bought a Sphere Waggler rod from AD for £200. I really only bought it because it was £200. Other than for the five minutes between me first spotting it and buying it, I've never seen another for so little.

Did you notice that as soon as you'd bought it the price of the 14' which was similarly discounted went back up to it's normally discounted price? Maybe it's just about getting footfall.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Did you notice that as soon as you'd bought it the price of the 14' which was similarly discounted went back up to it's normally discounted price? Maybe it's just about getting footfall.

I've seen AD do that kind of thing on the website. Dropping the price incrementally until they get a sale, then putting the price back up again.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I've seen AD do that kind of thing on the website. Dropping the price incrementally until they get a sale, then putting the price back up again.

And it means that we are continually looking at their site to find those bargains, and might just buy something else that we didn't know we needed.

It's not just AD though, and it's not just the fishing tackle industry, supermarkets use these tactics all the time. And just take a look at superfood fads, rather than being the dirty smelly stuff associated with ne'er-do-wells - to be kept locked up in the garage and out of the kitchen, hemp has suddenly become fashionable, and what we thought were outrageous prices before are nothing compared to what the diet brigade are prepared to pay; and we get the floor sweepings and still have to pay silly money for it.

We're doomed:doh:

rayner

Reaction score
Just last week I bought a rod that was 90quid, the normal retail price is £149.99. I didn't need a new rod but couldn't resist. That was from Direct Angling.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Similarly guilty:eek:mg: I've said I wouldn't buy a rod without handling it but did it anyway 13' Garbolino Altima Match Light £100. Not sorry I got it though from Baileys (shouldn't that have an apostrophe?) of Warwick. Seems they still have some.

mikench

Reaction score
I reckon you've got a very good rod there. You can tell me what you think when we meet next.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
from Baileys (shouldn't that have an apostrophe?) of Warwick.

No, a bit like Baileys the drink, both chose not to have an apostrophe - whereas Jack Daniel's do.

The rules of English are so gosh darn complicated, and sometimes, when the sign is on the wall "St Thomas' Hospital", "St James' Square", "Gerards Cross" (no wonder, he is missing an apostrophe) - the list go's on and on :eek:mg:

I didn't get on very well at school, and the above is an example of a conversation where my English teacher couldn't explain it and told me to jfd; a few other subjects were the same :frusty:

mikench

Reaction score
There is a book on the use of the apostrophe and Kev will be along later to explain.:) What about apostrophes to indicate a plural. E.g.

You need to remember to always dot your i's. This is the only example and only follows a lower case letter . Fiendish!

nottskev

Reaction score
The hottest tip, amongst punctuation marks, for oblivion, according to some, surrounded as it is by misunderstanding, misuse and indifference. There is an Apostrophe Protection Society if anyone wants to join their Extinction Rebellion. This bloke ( his writing on language is encyclopedic) can explain its use; I'm goin' fishin', as I have since '69.

David Crystal |

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
You need to remember to always dot your i's. This is the only example and only follows a lower case letter . Fiendish!

Dotting i's and crossing t's is one of the many exceptions because it would be difficult or confusing to read otherwise.

Apostrophes were originally introduced to allow spoken English to be put into print. 'Twas not the same after that.

Last edited:

fred hall

Reaction score
Similarly guilty:eek:mg: I've said I wouldn't buy a rod without handling it but did it anyway 13' Garbolino Altima Match Light £100. Not sorry I got it though from Baileys (shouldn't that have an apostrophe?) of Warwick. Seems they still have some.

As an aside we had a week's holiday in Warwick last year (strictly no fishing tackle!). However I could not resist a visit to Baileys and I must say I was impressed with a good , old-fashioned and friendly tackle shop.

mikench

Reaction score
I collected a Greys lure rod to today from the PO. It was priced at between £99 and £125 on the web. AD had it at £99 but inexplicably I saw it briefly at £40 and then it disappeared. I managed to find it again at that price( they had 1 only) and when they were offering 10% off everything. I used my points and got it for £34.10. I'm happy and it feels a lovely rod for light lure fishing.

It just goes to show that regular surfing and checking can, sometimes , reveal a bargain.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Is that an admission that you were wrong to hint that AD were doing something a bit more fishy than simply selling fishing gear? ;)

hague01

Reaction score
It seems fairly obvious to me, and I can quote a handful of examples I have seen, that the power of the likes of Bobco and A/D is such in customer base and coverage, that the manufacturers supply them at very competitive rates on end( shortly to end) of line rods/reels particularly.
One classic example was when hardy pulled out of the coarse market.A/D had so many marksman superos offered at or even less than half price they must have been handed much of the unsold stock by hardys. But you are right, they don't last long. Bobco also had selected superos at half price, I bought a 13' extreme feeder, used it for 3-4 years and sold it for a profit.That doesn't happen very often( to me) which is why I remember it so vividly.In publishing and fashion I seem to remember they were called collectively "remainder" stock.