Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    leafy cheshire
    Posts
    12,742

    Default Website trickery or what

    I was idly looking at prices for a Shimano X Aero 2500 fa baitrunner reel. I love the 4000 but thought the smaller one would complement it.

    Shimano Baitrunner X-Aero FA Reels | Angling Direct

    No wonder they sold out. They were never ever anywhere near the prices quoted more like double. What do they hope to achieve?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire.
    Posts
    10,980

    Default Re: Website trickery or what

    If you are suggesting that AD never sold them for that price, you may be wrong.

    Follow the link below and tell me how likely you think the prices of the out of stock items are?
    Daiwa Air AGS Match Rod
    Then you notice that one of the in stock items is similarly discounted. Knowing someone (other than just myself) that has bought several heavily discounted items from AD also helps.

    It's the right time of year or there to be some serious tackle bargains, if you are lucky enough to get wind of them before they disappear.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    leafy cheshire
    Posts
    12,742

    Default Re: Website trickery or what

    I have only ever seen them at around the £120 level. I bought the 4000 model( I think after your kind tip) for just less than £100 and was well pleased. I would have bought both at those prices.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire.
    Posts
    10,980

    Default Re: Website trickery or what

    Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I have only ever seen them at around the £120 level. I bought the 4000 model( I think after your kind tip) for just less than £100 and was well pleased. I would have bought both at those prices.

    I bought a Sphere Waggler rod from AD for £200. I really only bought it because it was £200. Other than for the five minutes between me first spotting it and buying it, I've never seen another for so little. That's the way it goes with AD. They do occasionally sell stuff at big discounts. The problem is that they generally don't have huge stocks of whatever it is they do it with.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    leafy cheshire
    Posts
    12,742

    Default Re: Website trickery or what

    Well done. I'll keep looking.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    634
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Website trickery or what

    Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I bought a Sphere Waggler rod from AD for £200. I really only bought it because it was £200. Other than for the five minutes between me first spotting it and buying it, I've never seen another for so little.
    Did you notice that as soon as you'd bought it the price of the 14' which was similarly discounted went back up to it's normally discounted price? Maybe it's just about getting footfall.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire.
    Posts
    10,980

    Default Re: Website trickery or what

    Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    Did you notice that as soon as you'd bought it the price of the 14' which was similarly discounted went back up to it's normally discounted price? Maybe it's just about getting footfall.

    I've seen AD do that kind of thing on the website. Dropping the price incrementally until they get a sale, then putting the price back up again.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Website trickery or what

    Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    I've seen AD do that kind of thing on the website. Dropping the price incrementally until they get a sale, then putting the price back up again.
    And it means that we are continually looking at their site to find those bargains, and might just buy something else that we didn't know we needed.

    It's not just AD though, and it's not just the fishing tackle industry, supermarkets use these tactics all the time. And just take a look at superfood fads, rather than being the dirty smelly stuff associated with ne'er-do-wells - to be kept locked up in the garage and out of the kitchen, hemp has suddenly become fashionable, and what we thought were outrageous prices before are nothing compared to what the diet brigade are prepared to pay; and we get the floor sweepings and still have to pay silly money for it.

    We're doomed

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    South Yorkshire.
    Posts
    2,520
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Website trickery or what

    Just last week I bought a rod that was 90quid, the normal retail price is £149.99. I didn't need a new rod but couldn't resist. That was from Direct Angling.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    634
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Website trickery or what

    Similarly guilty I've said I wouldn't buy a rod without handling it but did it anyway 13' Garbolino Altima Match Light £100. Not sorry I got it though from Baileys (shouldn't that have an apostrophe?) of Warwick. Seems they still have some.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •