Is this the L.I.F?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I went once, maybe 2010, but I can't remember that bridge. Perhaps it's much further up than I went. The river looks like the Itchen though.

I like Graeme Pullen's videos, crazy, but good fun to watch...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like the top end of the Coarse beats upstream of our trout beats.
If it is then the little sign on that gate actually says ‘please keep gate closed’

it is relatively expensive for a coarse fishery but downstream and below Gator’sMill is a free stretch that regularly produces decent roach, chub and grayling.

barbelboi

Reaction score
It's the Itchen - I remember every one of those potholes...............................

PS Looks like the bridge at the far end of the beat...

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Yep! 2/3rds the way upstream on the first coarse beat (below the trout beats). Top of that first beat, first hut, is several hundred yards above the bridge. Access to that bridge was always difficult until Go Ape and other "entertainments" were established on the opposite bank and now give the fishery managers all sorts of problems with dog walkers, bikers and general wanderers.

flightliner

Reaction score
Skip, back in the day he did pieces in the ATs if I remember .
£27-50 for a days course fishing !!!
That's a year book on some of the best Trent fishing you could ask for and then some !

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a year book on some of the best Trent fishing you could ask for and then some !

Mick, I reckon the cost of a day trout fishing would come as quite a shock then?
A fortnight rod for the season on the trout beats is just under £1500 but you get the entire beat to yourself and rotate every 2 weeks to a different beat.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Mick....back in the day the goon was everywhere.....and you Northern blokes have no idea how cheap your fishing is.

I thought perhaps Grimy Pullet had weighed in for the last time only to discover the tick had migrated to th'Interwebby. Its truly appalling stuff

At least Matt Hayes had the decency to disappear properly. Not this git.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Stop sitting on the fence, Skippy. Tell us what you really think of him. ;)

Must admit he's a bit irritating and one after the other fish comes up to be shown to the camera, doesn't wear with me. I have watched some of his madder ideas, such as using marshmallows for surface fishing, crazy, but interesting. What turns you on or OFF I suppose.

That film came up as a recommendation from You Tube and I thought the river looked familiar, but not an area I've seen.

nottskev

Reaction score
Just to balance up the picture, I, for one, like Graeme Pullen's videos. Cavalier and eccentric he may be - I watched that video and wondered why he didn't bring other bait, why he's casting a stick float upstream, how can he feed that dreadful groundbait with such abandon etc - but it's entertaining and he catches fish of all kinds in videos that involve all kinds of fishing. I've got much less patience with some of the solemn and humourless nerds who are still on the theory, or mixing their groundbait, after 10 minutes and take themselves soooo seriously.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
To cavalier and eccentric you can add inconsiderate and selfish.

I've told this story on here before but I was at Bury Hill one evening after the zander when Pullen rocked up with his son, a camera and a set of floodlights and without so much as a by your leave or kiss my ar$e dropped in next to me and started capering about like an utter **** doing his piece to camera. Now I am almost as light intolerant as the Bury Hill zander and he basically ruined my fishing. I could not stay there with that buffoon dancing about and had to move to get away from the sound of his voice and glare of his lights.

Needless to say it put me right off and I blanked. Ever since then my previous utter indifference to the idiot has become a pathological dislike. He believes he is famous but he was never that....not even when he might have been moderately well known in angling circles.....a hundred years ago.

I've bumped into him once or twice since. I cannot stand the bloke or his attitude....a shocking name dropper who is gagging for you to ask him who he is.

sam vimes

Reaction score
He believes he is famous but he was never that....not even when he might have been moderately well known in angling circles.....a hundred years ago.

I must have missed something. I was under the impression he was just another bluffer that had jumped on the Youtube angling bandwagon. I had no idea that he had any kind of previous.

nottskev

Reaction score
I don't know much about him. He's authored a bunch of How to Catch Them books on different species. The TA Fishing show on youtube has been going since 2011. There's the shark capture, estimated at 500+ pounds and tagged and released alive. And so on. But of course he's probably best known for disturbing somebody's fishing once.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why do they ban the use of worms on that river?

flightliner

Reaction score
Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
"Mick, I reckon the cost of a day trout fishing would come as quite a shock then?
A fortnight rod for the season on the trout beats is just under £1500 but you get the entire beat to yourself and rotate every 2 weeks to a different beat." Quote.

Peter, you're correct, £1500 is a little more than I would ever pay (or afford ) tbh . That said I suppose I'm pretty lucky with the waters I have at my disposal at the prices I pay.
I still do however consider waters like the Avon, Stour etc to be very special places where perhaps high prices help to keep them and maybe some of the waters they feed into in some measure
of preservation .
Years ago I wanted to live down in Hampshire but circumstances wouldn't sadly allow.
On the positive side it's heartening to see rivers like the Trent, Don, Rother, and Dearne come back from the dead and become highly regarded by anglers as worth fishing.

Skip, I used to think how lucky anglers in the south seemed to be but now , with the odd exception I feel that in general we in more northern areas enjoy better fishing and value.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But of course he's probably best known for disturbing somebody's fishing once.

I want to see that video, we may hear Skip effing and jeffing in the backround.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I must have missed something. I was under the impression he was just another bluffer that had jumped on the Youtube angling bandwagon. I had no idea that he had any kind of previous.

Bloody Hell......there was a time when his fizzog was never out of the weeklies. Same sort of level too....sensationalising the bleedin obvious. Git.