The cost of your fishing.

mikench

Reaction score
projects which I wish I had never started in the first place lol.

Those golf clubs were a waste of money then Steve?:rolleyes:

Can you buy maggots singly in Yorkshire? My late father in law would have done- I do miss him and I love Yorkshire before anyone winges tha nos.

Rods and reels will last a lifetime if properly looked after and afford years of enjoyment from their use and ownership.They can often retain their value too. Angling is cheap particularly on an hourly basis .

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
My club ticket cost £65 this year incl £10 joining fee. Gets me access to 12 ponds over 2 sites, another somewhere and a bit of river, plus a Leicester Amalgam ticket which covers a fair amount of river/canal.
Previous year I spent almost that on a local commie during the closed season. Most of the waters are about 12 miles from home. Bait is reasonable really. Tackle costs me the most I’m a bit of a sucker for something newish every now and again.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have never joined a club, one reason is I fish intermittently and sea fish as well, as the mood takes me. I am under no pressure to get my monies worth or obligated to join in any human activity. I like the freedom and no one tells me what I can do or not do, not that I mind that but it's nicer not having it to contend with, I probably would have better fishing if I did join one but it could be a waste of money although I can afford it now. I might just pay and then not fish for 6 months or decide I prefer to sea fish.
I rarely buy magoots, I find they attract too many small fish, my main extravagance lately is a tin of hemp, without club fees, maggots and a free bus pass I fish very cheaply, this was a necessity when I was out of work and broke and I have just stuck with it and invest the money on other things.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
My opening post was more than a little facetious, I thought my fishing is cheap enough. Like most have said it can be expensive, especially if I fancy fishing up in the water for silver fish, with caster, 3 pint at 3.20 it soon adds up.
I do have a permit that I should never have bought, 95 quid for a fishery I now refuse to use. The entrance road is far too dodgy for my car springs. There is a tackle shop at the fishery up the dodgy road that sells maggots for two quid a pint. Not that I will travel there to buy them.
Fishing generally costs me around a tenner to twenty quid depending on how I fish. Of course if I drop hemp then limit my other baits to make it cheaper. That would just feel wrong.
Like I tell my wife, you can't put a price on enjoyment.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The Office for National Statistics tells us that median weekly earnings in the South East are about £50 a week up on the rest of the Uk. And the houses of its inhabitants generally worth about £100,000 more than elsewhere, should they decide to cash in and move to where maggots are a bit cheaper.

And I find that even more patronising. Never mind that properties are 2-3 times the price to start with so that "extra" £50 a week goes nowhere when your mortgage is huge. I'm on my occupational pension now...despite paying NI all me working life I still wont qualify for a state pension for another 3 years

Whatever....not everyone in the South earms a massive salary and lives in a huge house. Another urban myth.

I could continue to fish for next to hothing but I have no desire to restrict my fishing in such a way. Simply fishing has never been enough for me....I dont NEED to go but when I do I intend to do what pleases me and that includes using the best gear I can afford.....and that isn't always the cheapest option.

Philip

Reaction score
I would subscribe to the "it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it" party.

The last 25kg sack of pigeon mix I purchased cost me @£9...after soaking that cooks up to about 35kg of bait. If I purchased the same thing in a plastic jar with Dynamite written on it would have cost me £210

I also think fishing down south is generally more expensive than up North.

Pleasure anglers will probably pay less for their fishing than Specimen or Match anglers.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
so that I have access to some sea trout fishing
If you want sea trout fishing what about this. Caught at Eton (near where Boris went to school;)) just as this year began, 1st January, on a spinner (I've blurred his picture, sorry). I had a smaller one of 2½lbs from the Jubilee River on New Years Eve.

PRs sea trout small blurred out.jpg

And as for cost ... Well, so long as you're a member of one of the associated clubs you are automatically enrolled as one of our members for ... wait for it ... £3 per year, max! And that's dahn sarf! Damned expensive init?

steve2

Reaction score
I joined 2 clubs this year at a cost of £160 divide that by the amount of times I have been fishing and it works out at around £30 a day. Add to that additional costs petrol, bait, lunch, etc and it come to nearer £40. But I still look at the club membership and days out as being good value simply because it made me forget other problems for a few hours.
I will not be rejoining one of them next year due to the restrictions now in place on that water due to other water users.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Having lived in the north west all my life (until I moved to Oxford 6 months ago) ,I fished up north for over 55 years, clubs books last year were Warrington £50,Lymm free. I joined a club down here called Newlands angling, their waters are on the same complex as Linear fisheries, cost me £30 and no joining fee. Bait prices more or less what I paid up North, I am joining another club down here ,cost about £12 a year,part of Oxford district angling alliance, also free stretches on rivers, so in my case it is about even unless I drive up north for a days fishing a commie then I am talking of around £50 petrol and day ticket, then bait plus overnight stay and total is over £100.

nottskev

Reaction score
And I find that even more patronising..............

not everyone in the South earms a massive salary and lives in a huge house. Another urban myth.

You'd have me believe that the wealth of the south East, which affects prices and their affordability, relative to other regions, is an urban myth?It appears to be one which every analyst of regional economies has fallen for.

So far you've posted about being patronised by a couple of the least offensive posters you will find, and indulged yourself in ranting on about a fishing video presenter that few seem to have a bad word for. I hope you won't feel patronised if I say you seem a bit touchy.

bracket

Reaction score
When, like me you have fished almost your entire life the cost is not the driving factor that decides whether I fish or not. I chose to go when I want to and what it costs is what it costs. If I don't spend my money someone else is sure to. Having said that my annual club membership fees are £110 for a Christchurch ticket and £36 for a Dorchester and District ticket. So around £150, equating to £3 a week, covers all my fishing on three rivers and a raft of still waters, all within a 30 mile radius. Adding on the cost of bait and transport and the overall cost is still quite do-able even for a poor impoverished pensioner like myself. As I have already said it, is not the cost that would prevent me from going, you would have to nail my feet to the floor to achieve that. At the end of the day You have to spend your coin on something and just staying at home counting it don't grab me as being wildly exciting. Pete

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
You'd have me believe that the wealth of the south East, which affects prices and their affordability, relative to other regions, is an urban myth?It appears to be one which every analyst of regional economies has fallen for.
The company I worked for had a National pay scale so where ever you lived you paid the same for doing the same job. Which how it should be.
When we got together with our friends in the North they couldn’t believe just how expensive the cost of living was and still is in the South.
I do have friends that are paid big money and yes they do live million pound plus houses but the same house in the North would be half that. I also have friends that can’t afford to live anywhere apart from with Mum and Dad.
So is it an urban myth that every one in the South is rich, yes it is. It is the same one that says that everyone in the North is poor and on the breadline.

nottskev

Reaction score
The company I worked for had a National pay scale so where ever you lived you paid the same for doing the same job. Which how it should be.
When we got together with our friends in the North they couldn’t believe just how expensive the cost of living was and still is in the South.
I do have friends that are paid big money and yes they do live million pound plus houses but the same house in the North would be half that. I also have friends that can’t afford to live anywhere apart from with Mum and Dad.
So is it an urban myth that every one in the South is rich, yes it is. It is the same one that says that everyone in the North is poor and on the breadline.

I'm sure nobody thinks everyone in a region is x, y or z. And nobody thinks there aren't people in all positions, from hard-up to wealthy, in every region. What is not mythical is the general and overall level of prosperity in the south-east region relative to other regions, and the value of the earnings and assets of its inhabitants. The economic dominance of the south-east can be a problem for many who live there, just as it's a problem in several ways for the rest of the UK. And where it's "better" to live is an open-ended matter. We're a long way from the cost of fishing, but we can't really be surprised if everyday things - including maggots - cost more in the region.

mikench

Reaction score
I must confess to being slightly amused and bemused by the touch of rancour in the contents of this thread. I stated that my original response set out verbatim below was not patronising and not intended to be. Which bit was patronising?

"My cards cost £130 and £80 respectively. The cheaper club includes 3 day ticket waters one of which is unlimited visits and the other two 10 visits. Those alone would cost £100 at £5 per day.

Maggots are £2.20 a pint at AD. I don’t consider the hobby as expensive."

I live in the North and am happy to do so. I consider the Angling choices open to me are both excellent and value for money. I don't do them justice but that's entirely my fault.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure nobody thinks everyone in a region is x, y or z. And nobody thinks there aren't people in all positions, from hard-up to wealthy, in every region. What is not mythical is the general and overall level of prosperity in the south-east region relative to other regions, and the value of the earnings and assets of its inhabitants. The economic dominance of the south-east can be a problem for many who live there, just as it's a problem in several ways for the rest of the UK. And where it's "better" to live is an open-ended matter. We're a long way from the cost of fishing, but we can't really be surprised if everyday things - including maggots - cost more in the region.

I’ve lived in the Southeast my entire life and most of it in London. Through work and training I have spent time in the North and I can tell you that in my mind the North is much richer in more ways than one.

Reaction score
Fishing is,or can be a lot cheaper than watching your football team every week and you are not limited to ninety minutes,my clubs cost £60 and £50,the first being a concetionary ticket,if I lived in Dorset I would join Ringwood,a much more expensive club and wouldn't care a jot,maggot where I live is around £3 a pint,which isn't too bad as these days I rarely feed more than two pints a session and during the summer I rarely use one.Also anglers can use whatever bait you choose,these days when I barbel fish,which is rare,I use shelf life boilies,a kilo would last many sessions,so twelve quid a bag max is cheap,fuel is probably the costly thing in fishing,even in my little skoda,but if I didn't fish I would be dead,bored to oblivion,seeing all the wildlife,chatting to nice people in the fresh air,what price do you put on that,I've made so many friends through angling,this year I've had four people contact me who I haven't seen for at least 25 years,another has my phone number and is going to organise a day in the spring on a lake we are both members of and never crossed paths....

Last edited:

Reaction score
Bloody predictive tablet,lol....couldn't predict a cold,every time I post chub,it wants to put chug,WTF!!!I

When I posted 'post' it put lost,grrrr,so what starts as a quick scan through FM ends up taking ages checking what cock ups my tablet has conjured up,there were four in this paragraph.

Last edited:

jpwebster

Reaction score
Living in East Yorkshire, there's no shortage of all styles of coarse, game or sea fishing available at a reasonable price. As I do 90% of my fishing on a free to fish tidal river, the cost of my fishing, is as much or little as I want it to be, funds permitting. Because there is so many commercials in the area, the prices have to be competitive, can't think of anywhere that is £10+. When looking at other areas of the country it really makes me appreciate being here.

I spend more on leads/feeders, footwear and clothing, dealing with the aforementioned Tidal River and it's conditions, than I do on daytickets, bait or bigger items of tackle.

mikench

Reaction score
First there were Spoonerisms and now we have Whittycisms and long may they continue. I must ask PAAS if they offer confectionary tickets.:rolleyes:

Last edited: